i belive they might be using an eletric guitar and and amplifier but im not 100% sure.
The Best Floyd Rose Is A Setup Floyd Rose!

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
03 B.C. Rich NJ Warlock Speedloader
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
Quote by f22master
i belive they might be using an eletric guitar and and amplifier but im not 100% sure.

After some extensive research I can confirm this.
Call me the rap assassinator. Rhymes rugged and built like Schwarzenegger
I believe Vai has a sustainer pickup in the neck pup slot of his main JEM.
Quote by jackbauer
playing by yourself is like masturbating, sure it feels great, but it's nothing compared to the real deal.

Quote by guylee
Oh Shit! I Have A Weird Growth On My Body!

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/tonelife/
Feedback, i presume you're talking about the transition into FIABD? Google it
Gear

'07 Ibanez RG1570MRB Prestige
'97 Ibanez RGR570 - V7/Dimarzio Fast Track/ Dimarzio PAF Pro
Westfield SG Copy
Westfield Strat Copy
Falcon Acoustic
Peavey Valveking 212
Roland Microcube
Unbranded 15W Starter Amp
try distortion pedals, maybe put 2 in a row, or use a distortion pedal and put a clean booster in front of it, that helps to keep the sustain up
Gear:
Fender Jazzmaster
Boss DS-2
Digitech RP150 (with Line6 EX-1 Exp pedal)
Orange Crush 30R

My Youtube Page
Read this!You know you really want to...

yeah vai has a sustainer in his Jem, i duno bout the others tho. Seems like satch just uses the amps feedback along with the whammy bar.
well for starters vai has a sustainer so that explains anything he might be doing, other than that its likely utilising controlled feedback due to the volume of the amps - satch does this a lot
Tube amp, good EQing, good technique, craploads of volume...that's all you need.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by f22master

yep thats his secret
Quote by steven seagull
Tube amp, good EQing, good technique, craploads of volume...that's all you need.

Having never seen the video, I was going to suggest something similar.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Probably a Fernades Sustainer pickup on a moog guitar. That sustains FOREVER (literally).
http://groups.ultimat e-guitar.com/aa08s/

Squint your eyes to see clearly. Blur reality to make it real.

Quote by Magic Jim
"Jimmy! Eat your peas!"
"It's not illegal if I don't"
"k, koo"

Imagine if life was like that.

Awesome
i saw the guitarist from U2 use something wich made his guitar sustain and sound like it was feedback . what is that?
Quote by toine
i saw the guitarist from U2 use something wich made his guitar sustain and sound like it was feedback . what is that?

That sounds like a Fernandes sustainer to me.
Quote by TNfootballfan62
Having never seen the video, I was going to suggest something similar.

Ditto
SERIOUS ANSWER:

It could be active pickips. EMG's for example give tons of sustain, but are pretty colourless tone-wise.
I haven't listened yet, and I'm probably out of my realm here but I can get 10-20 seconds of sustain and I don't have anything fancy. I have a Passive Dunan higher gain pup maybe and I do have to roll the volume up, which they are obviously not doing.

Quote by toine

EBow.

ESP LTD MH-350NT
Hughes & Kettner Switchblade 100
Orange PPC412AD
Seagull S6 Cedar Slim
Manuel Rodríguez C1M

Guitarist of Ravenage
Drummer of Windrider
Solo Project is Aloeswood
Quote by One on Sunday

yep thats his secret

Haha. There is a powerful fan at his feet that not only blows his hair back and keeps him cool but also blows on his strings, keeping them vibrating nearly as well as a Fernandes Sustainer.

Quote by clapton-floyd
SERIOUS ANSWER:

It could be active pickips. EMG's for example give tons of sustain, but are pretty colourless tone-wise.

Vai is a D'Marzio endorser so I doubt he gets his sustain from EMGs. Also, his tone is pretty colorful, no? Does D'Marzio make active models of their pickups?
Last edited by carpepax at Aug 20, 2008,
My Micro Amp/Dyna Comp in the neck posish, or Big Muff and Comp both give me at least 15 seconds.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
It's just feedback. It's one of those magical things that happens when you play at concert volumes standing close to your amp. Controlling it is another matter, and something overlooked by many.
there are many ways of getting endless sustain... but:

That sounds like a Fernandes sustainer to me.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by vigenharutyunya
well yeah but satch doesnt have one on his guitar... and also he doesn't stand faced to the amp

He doesn't have to, take good technique + good guitar + high gain tube amp and you have loads of sustain.
It could be feedback rather than just sustain.

Tube amps often have that effect.
Quote by steven seagull

QFT!
Guys, I think I know what he might have been using. I'm not sure if someone thought of this, but there's this pedal by Boss it was discontinued.
The Boss Super Distortion/Feedbacker...it's on Ebay, check it out. also seen on youtube. IT"S SICK NASTY!!!!
but yeah, u get controlled feedback from stepping on it. it's awesomeness. hope this helps!
Quote by Wolfman2.
Guys, I think I know what he might have been using. I'm not sure if someone thought of this, but there's this pedal by Boss it was discontinued.
The Boss Super Distortion/Feedbacker...it's on Ebay, check it out. also seen on youtube. IT"S SICK NASTY!!!!
but yeah, u get controlled feedback from stepping on it. it's awesomeness. hope this helps!

the trouble with that is that the distorted tone of that pedal is kinda crappy and you can't do the feedback thing without the distortion.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
compressor, and feedback from the amp possibly
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
decent neck joints help

as does ****loads of volume

and good finger vibrato

oh, and a good spread-leg metal pose
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.