What would be the best way to do it? I want to be able to pluck fluid with all four fingers. I can do it with 3 but it seems impossible to add the pinky finger because it's shorter and less coordinated then the rest. How many here can use all four fingers? How long did it take you to do it?
you don't need your pinky ever.heck, I don't need my ring finger ever.I rarely throw in my middle, to be honest. just practice, if you really think you should be able to.I bet tapping 2 handed would help a little.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Do you really NEED the pinky? I can see why people use the ring finger, I mean, it's a good length and it's right there so you may as well, but training up your pinky just seems to be more hassle than it's worth.

All IMO.
^ The Humanity are you serious?~!?!??!?!??!!

TS, do this chromatic exercise: On each string, play open, 1st fret with index finger, 2nd fret middle finger, 3rd fret ring, 4th pinky, then move the next string.

Thats a really good one, should help quite a bit.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
^^I think he (Hummie and the TS) meant the plucking hand.

As for using the pinky to pluck, I see no need. It will not make you any faster, that's a fact. The only merit I can see it having is helping in endurance. That can just be gained from playing though. If you really, really find some sort of random need to pluck with your pinky, just play what you already know and incorporate the pinky.
^

Oh, ok yeah I only use 2 fingers, TS you should be more specific, training your fretting pinky is something that gets asked about a lot so I just assumed that was what you meant.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
Quote by Randy Bobandy
It's mostly for speed that I want to do it. Sheehan gets his speed because he uses 4 fingers.

he uses three, and i cant see you needing to use any more really.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
Well, you don't need to use 4 fingers. Then again, you don't need to learn how to slap. First, you need to get that little finger independant. See how it kind of moves with ytour ring finger? Try this for a while:

1) Place hand flat on table
2) Raise each finger individually off the table, and hold for 30 seconds, then relax
3) Keep practicing until you can move your little finger freely without moving that ring finger.

But also start playing with 4 fingers. Slowly at first. However, you may also need to adjust your hand position, which may make the entire thing not worth your time.
Quote by slaptasticdave
^

Oh, ok yeah I only use 2 fingers, TS you should be more specific, training your fretting pinky is something that gets asked about a lot so I just assumed that was what you meant.

Yeah I see what you mean I should of said plucking hand. But I don't know ANYONE who only uses three fingers on the fretting hand except for guitar players.
well i have been playing for almost 5 years now. and i didnt start useing all four fingers until i was playing for about 3 years. [ but i also wasnt trying to use all four until then] but once i started trying it took me about 3 months to get used to it. i just practiced doing four finger rolls on the E string for about a min then i would sit at like a desk or something and watch tv and do four finger rolls on the table. although i can play with all four i dont do it too much because i can play almost as fast with two fingers then i can with four. but thats just because i have really strong fiingers and i play alot. but just keep trying to use all four it will come in time. the best way to be able to use it is to get it stronger and to do that all you need to do it just use it. hope i helped some
Quote by slaptasticdave
^ The Humanity are you serious?~!?!??!?!??!!

dead serious.

I play really close to the bridge and use the fleshy part of my finger like it's a pick.

I sometimes use my middle when I'm switching strings or slapping.

I don't suggest it, but it works, and I think it sounds nice.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom