My computer is stupid. For a while, we've been connecting to the internet through the modem, rather than a router, because our computer won't accept the connection through an ethernet cord, so we plugged in the modem through a USB port. We just bought a router though, so now I have to get the ethernet thing to work. (I'm doing this on XP, by the way.)

I did Control Panel>Internet Connections, then enabled Local Area Connection 4, but it won't connect. I right-clicked on it, clicked Repair, and got this message:

Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action cannot be completed:
Clearing the ARP cache

For assistance, contact the person who manages your network.

So, I'm not allowed to repair my internet connection? Why is this?

In case you suggest this, Microsoft support and the router's support were absolutely no help at all. They just repeated the directions for the router to me.
If you got a linksys....

Burn it now.

You'll thank me.
:stickpoke

Baby, if I were biscuits and you were gravy, I'd sop you up

FIGHT IGNORANCE

"I fear for my flesh, but I fear for my spirit even more..."
Quote by ShredtoBed
If you got a linksys....

Burn it now.

You'll thank me.

lol nope, i bought a Belkin. my friend has a Linksys, and it works great for him.
Oh no.. Belkin? as in "Belkin"? I'd say you're screwed speaking from my own expirience with their things. Sorry
i've ONLY had problems with belkin too.. thats a pure piece of ****
Quote by ealtdharkon
Sorry to break this to you, but you "hardcore" fans don't HAVE mosh pits.
You have epileptic line dancing.

Quote by NotTheSun3290
Well... I AM a virgin, afterall...
Quote by ShredtoBed
If you got a linksys....

Burn it now.

You'll thank me.

I have a linksys
Other then the occasional freeze, I think it's a great router with great wireless range, I don't have any complaints.

Although I'm not a huge fan of Belkin

Anyway
Make sure everything is plugged into the right spots
The modem plugs into the WAN port on the router, and then the computer plug into the numbered ports on the back.

After that, go into your connections, Delete any connections that aren't working

Click Set Up home or small office network
Just keep clicking next and it should all set up.

EDIT:
Oh, I missed part of it
When it prompts you with two radio buttons, select : This computer connects to the internet through a residential gateway...etc
Have you googled your error message.

I'm assuming you haven't cause if you had you'd know how to fix it.
Flap it and enjoy yourself...

Xbox Live GT = The Donkey Fly
'...and those who fought on that day of honor, the day of victory shall be forever remembered as Lime Green' - Oct 31st 08
Signature? What's a signature?

Quote by WlCmToTheJungle
the house burnt down
pics coming soon!
<.<
>,>

Quote by metalscott76
No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best theory lesson EVER!
well, i have no job, and the Belkin was $35, which my parents thought was a complete rip-off, since they're unbelievably cheap; this is the best i'm going to get. also, i might be making a little progress, i just need to know something.

on the command prompt, it says C:\Documents and Settings\tommy>

how do i get rid of all that so it just says C:\> ?
in command prompt just type in cd C:/

EDIT AGAIN: my mistake that doesn't work, but it shouldn't make a difference anyway.
Quote by identityxcrysis
in command prompt just type in cd C:/

EDIT AGAIN: my mistake that doesn't work, but it shouldn't make a difference anyway.

forward slash my friend.

Anyways, unless you want a list of every file on your hardrive changing directories to C:\ doesn't really do anything.
Signature? What's a signature?

Quote by WlCmToTheJungle
the house burnt down
pics coming soon!
<.<
>,>

Quote by metalscott76
No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best theory lesson EVER!
Quote by firebreath07
forward slash my friend.

Anyways, unless you want a list of every file on your hardrive changing directories to C:\ doesn't really do anything.

it won't let me clear the ARP cache unless i get rid of the Documents thing.
Quote by frottage
it won't let me clear the ARP cache unless i get rid of the Documents thing.

Don't type in all that
Just type

netsh interface ip delete arpcache

Quote by firebreath07
forward slash my friend.

Actually, the slash doesn't even matter in this case
it still directs you to the documents and settings folder
SWEET

i now got it connected; it just won't let me browse the internet. any idea how to solve this?
I hate internet/networking problems.

Never ever ever buy a "Netgear" product. I bought two and neither worked in any shape or form really.

I was thinking about taking them to watchdog, the ****ing bastards.
A router will not work with a modem. Modems use phone lines, and I am pretty sure that there are no routers that work with modems. With most routers i have seen, it is impossible to do this.

You need a broadband connection to use a router.

I looks like you need some serious help from a knowledgeable computer tech.
Quote by siksofus
A router will not work with a modem. Modems use phone lines, and I am pretty sure that there are no routers that work with modems. With most routers i have seen, it is impossible to do this.

..no? lol

we have Roadrunner, and we connect through the modem, rather than through a router.
Quote by siksofus

Not exactly, people tend to buy modem routers these days for the convenience of only having one device lying around for internet access, but a router does not by definition have modem capibilities.
MrP:
I am not familiar with a modem router.

frottage:
"we have Roadrunner, and we connect through the modem, rather than through a router."

Your posts make no sense, are using a modem or a router? Do you self a favor and get broadband
I'm really starting to get pissed off at this thing. My computer has a little icon on the taskbar saying that I'm connected, but whenever I run the browser's setup thing, it says I'm not connected. I've ****ing done everything that you're supposed to do, there's no reason at all why this stupid piece of **** shouldn't work.

As always, I had to edit the connection myself and enter our IP address and the DNS stuff and everything, which I also had to do when my xbox live worked. It won't get the IP address automatically. I don't know if that has anything to do with it, but yeah.
Quote by frottage
I'm really starting to get pissed off at this thing. My computer has a little icon on the taskbar saying that I'm connected, but whenever I run the browser's setup thing, it says I'm not connected. I've ****ing done everything that you're supposed to do, there's no reason at all why this stupid piece of **** shouldn't work.

As always, I had to edit the connection myself and enter our IP address and the DNS stuff and everything, which I also had to do when my xbox live worked. It won't get the IP address automatically. I don't know if that has anything to do with it, but yeah.

Tell me about it. I had this problem with 3 things.

Also, my old wireless mouse and keyboard were causing awful interference.
Quote by siksofus
MrP:
I am not familiar with a modem router.

frottage:
"we have Roadrunner, and we connect through the modem, rather than through a router."

Your posts make no sense, are using a modem or a router? Do you self a favor and get broadband

A router isn't a device specifically designed for internet access, it is a device which at the most basic level is responsible for forwarding data sent from one connected device to another. A traditional router could have a DSL modem connected and would do the same job as your modem-router, the only difference is that your router has been built specifically for internet access and as such has a modem built-in.
Also, before it worked, I enabled this Cisco Systems VPN Adapter, which is what made it work. What's up with that?