Well, I've got an ibanez sz520 atm and I need a back up guitar for gigging, well, not really, I just want another guitar.

My sz520 is already like a les paul kinda guitar so I was thinking of trying an sg type. I've seen a vintage vs6 that looks nice and is good for the money but I don't hear much of the vintage vs6s on these forums and everyone raves about epiphones.

So, would the vintage vs6 be better then the epiphone g400 for the price?

Also, would I notice the difference in tone drastically compared to my ibanez sz520?

Thanks.
What I want in my rig (Bold = gear I have):
Ibanez SZ-520QM
Vintage VECJ100BK
Epiphone Dot
Laney VC15
Boss GE7
Boss SD1
Zoom G2
I've got one. It was a lot cheaper than the G400 and I preferred it. The Epi sounded a bit muddy to me. I've had it for over three years now.
Quote by smb
I've got one. It was a lot cheaper than the G400 and I preferred it. The Epi sounded a bit muddy to me. I've had it for over three years now.

So you'd suggest it then?
Ibanez SZ-520QM
Vintage VECJ100BK
Epiphone Dot
Laney VC15
Boss GE7
Boss SD1
Zoom G2
It does the job for me, but I'm not much of a guitar player. You'll be best off trying them both and comparing but the Epi didn't justify the extra cost when I was shopping for a guitar.
Quote by smb
It does the job for me, but I'm not much of a guitar player. You'll be best off trying them both and comparing but the Epi didn't justify the extra cost when I was shopping for a guitar.

Does it sound much different to the vintage v100 (les paul copy)?
Ibanez SZ-520QM
Vintage VECJ100BK
Epiphone Dot
Laney VC15
Boss GE7
Boss SD1
Zoom G2
I've never played the G400, but I've had the VS6 for a few years now and it's holding up fine.

They have Wilkinson hardware, so that's a good thing.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Quote by Bonsaischaap
I've never played the G400, but I've had the VS6 for a few years now and it's holding up fine.

They have Wilkinson hardware, so that's a good thing.

What's so good about wilkinson hardware?
Ibanez SZ-520QM
Vintage VECJ100BK
Epiphone Dot
Laney VC15
Boss GE7
Boss SD1
Zoom G2
Quote by |Matt Dolan|
What's so good about wilkinson hardware?

It's an actual brand.

Usually guitars in that price range have random, low quality, hardware. Wilkinson stuff is a nice extra:

http://www.jhs.co.uk/wilkinsoninfo.html
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Last edited by Bonsaischaap at Aug 20, 2008,
Quote by smb

Ive got one too and i preferred it to the epi.

I was in the same position as you, i just wanted another guitar. I played some PRS guitars, an Epi SG, epi les paul and then picked up the Vintage VSG and started playing it and found a huge grin on my face. I didnt want to put it down, and for £150, i didnt!!
Quote by slashs_#1_fan
Ive got one too and i preferred it to the epi.

I was in the same position as you, i just wanted another guitar. I played some PRS guitars, an Epi SG, epi les paul and then picked up the Vintage VSG and started playing it and found a huge grin on my face. I didnt want to put it down, and for £150, i didnt!!

Thanks
Ibanez SZ-520QM
Vintage VECJ100BK
Epiphone Dot
Laney VC15
Boss GE7
Boss SD1
Zoom G2
More opinions please? BTW I'd be getting the vs6 off ebay, so it'd be abit cheaper, like £80/90 but in good condition with a case.
Ibanez SZ-520QM
Vintage VECJ100BK
Epiphone Dot
Laney VC15
Boss GE7
Boss SD1
Zoom G2
I have one. I have the VS6CG, which was a bit more pricey. Got mine pre-Wilkinson parts back in 2001. I've replaced every damn component on it so I cannot speak about the stock components. Certainly as good as an epiphone (probably made in the same place anyway) and a good backup guitar.
no problem

if you get it off ebay, make sure it is the wilkinson version. They are superior to the older pre-trev models.

The crunchbox demo in my profile was done with the Vs6. Although it isnt great playing, i do at the start play the same clean chord progression 3 times with the 3-way pickup selector so you can hear the range of clean tones. I think this guitar does great jazz, and great rock with some overdrive Feel free to take a listen. You can also PM me if you have any specific questions about the guitar.

I would do you some more sound clips but my tech has my amp at the moment

One thing I will say is that it has a very comfy neck!

edit: Meddled, is that the one with the gold hardware?? Have you replaced the pcikups in it? I have a pre-wilinson vintage Les Paul, and once i put Seymour Duncans in it the guitar was just plain awesome! Vintage are very very underrated IMO. Id go with them over epiphone.

I hear their new faded strat copies dont actually rival the quality of MIM strats, but of MIA strats! But owners can be terribly biased....
Last edited by slashs_#1_fan at Aug 21, 2008,
I don't think the Wilkinson tuners are better, as the pre-Wilkinson tuners had little screws in the end of each peg, so you could tighten them up!
Quote by Meddled
I don't think the Wilkinson tuners are better, as the pre-Wilkinson tuners had little screws in the end of each peg, so you could tighten them up!

its interesting you should say that...

I had the wilkinson tuners replaced within a day of getting mine. they are the one thing I didnt like about it. Not too much of a problem mind...
I've replaced out the switch on mine, but then I was using it like a killswitch. My VS6 has locking Grovers on it now, which makes a difference, as it goes for weeks without needing retuned!
Would use say it would be a BIG step down from my sz520?
Ibanez SZ-520QM
Vintage VECJ100BK
Epiphone Dot
Laney VC15
Boss GE7
Boss SD1
Zoom G2
its definately a step down. Ive never played the Ibanez so I wouldnt want to say, but I don't reckon it is that big a step down. The Vintage may be cheap in price but it is rich in tone and mine is very well crafted