I've been working ear training, including identifying chords by ear for a while now. I can easily tell if a chord is major or minor. However, when I get to a diminished or augmented chord, I know it is either diminished or augmented because of the unstable sound, but I can't tell which one of the two the chord is. Does anyone know of any particular techniques that I could use to fix this?
Last edited by burning_snowman at Aug 20, 2008,
Try relating it to the previous chords in the progression to get an idea of how its 'moving' if you know what I mean.

Like I worked (by ear ) that there is an F aug chord in Wonderful World by Louis Armstrong by using this technique.

I'm no expert, but listening to lots of Blues will get you use to recognizing diminished chords, cuz of the turnarounds.
Last edited by mdc at Aug 20, 2008,
that used to happen to me too. i confused the 2 all the time. but it's something you learn from your mistakes i guess. keep training.
I sing the roots of the chords while playing the chords on guitar and/or piano and alternate between other quality chords. For example, alternate between dominant seventh and major 7th and diminished chords in different keys and sing the roots of the chords when each chord is played. Hold the chords and let them ring and try to memorize the overall sound of what your hearing. Do this everyday and you will definately improve your ability to hear the different qualities of chords not just diminished and augmented. Hope this helps.
"How to Become a Better Musician" - is my online course at www.MyOnlineMusicLessons.com. Phrasing and Rhythmic Development, Improv Techniques, Jazz Theory, Ear Training and more. I'm also available for Skype/Hangout lessons.
Quote by John Tutino
I sing the roots of the chords while playing the chords on guitar and/or piano and alternate between other quality chords. For example, alternate between dominant seventh and major 7th and diminished chords in different keys and sing the roots of the chords when each chord is played. Hold the chords and let them ring and try to memorize the overall sound of what your hearing. Do this everyday and you will definately improve your ability to hear the different qualities of chords not just diminished and augmented. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try this.
No problemo
"How to Become a Better Musician" - is my online course at www.MyOnlineMusicLessons.com. Phrasing and Rhythmic Development, Improv Techniques, Jazz Theory, Ear Training and more. I'm also available for Skype/Hangout lessons.
i pick out the intervals, like i dont have perfect pitch or anything but i find it helps to know you are hearing the root and a major third and an augmented fifth, you can pick those apart .... better than just identifying both as dissonant
BE HAPPY

Quote by ajmasterjaydude
so this kid at my school microwaved brussel sprouts for lunch, and when he was about to eat them one of them exploded on his face and burned him. i like turtles

in a thread about malmsteen^
I use a general rule taht a diminished chord sounds like a train whistle, and an aug sort of sounds like a messed up major chord.