Buy a guitar now with my own money or wait until Christma to get it for free. At the moment I have the money to go out and buy the guitar I want and probably buy a hardcase with it. I've been playing for 6 months but play like 3 hours a day so i think a new guitars duw if i buy it now i will be able to get more stuff for christmas. but if i wait until Christmas i can get it forr free, well nto for free jstu not out of my money. I am wondering whether I ahsould wait until Christmas to get it so i have some spare cash and not get a lot for Christmas or should i buy it now with my won money and get a lot of the other stuff i want for Christmas.
Currently using a fender 15g amp. and my scurrent guitar is a squier strat from the squier strat starter pack thing.
I say buy a new amp with the money you have now and wait to get the guitar for Christmas - its only 4 months away! lol
buy yourself an amp now and buy yourself a guitar for christmas and save your parents' money
Quote by TDS
You know what would be awsome? A phone that doubled as a fleshlight that recharged power through kinetic motion.

"hold on guys my phone's dying."
*fap*
"Ok we're good."
personally i would wait, I was in a similar sitiation about a month ago and went ahead and baught a new guitar and amp. I love them both but i think i could have stuck with the old ones and perfected what i already knew
Buy a new amp now and get the guitar for christmas!
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
Quote by i_am_metalhead
I say buy a new amp with the money you have now and wait to get the guitar for Christmas - its only 4 months away! lol

ditto, a better amp sounds better than a better guitar.
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!

get an amp now and ask for a guitar at Xmas time...or the other way around
Stop Reading My Signature

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Blackjack w/ EMG 81/85 PA2
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3
Okay i think the gist of it is buy an amp now get a guitar for christmas. the amp i was playnnign on getting waws a peavey vlaveking 112. its not that dear and my mate has a valveking 212 and it soudns awesome. Whats the 112 like or are their any oter recommendations. i liek to play metal, thrash metal, hard rock but i do like to have nice cleans.
Quote by i UCM Bl00d
Okay i think the gist of it is buy an amp now get a guitar for christmas. the amp i was playnnign on getting waws a peavey vlaveking 112. its not that dear and my mate has a valveking 212 and it soudns awesome. Whats the 112 like or are their any oter recommendations. i liek to play metal, thrash metal, hard rock but i do like to have nice cleans.

The VK will do metal pretty nicely but I recommend a speaker swap because Peavey's stock speakers are pretty crappy.
Quote by pinback
buy yourself an amp now and buy yourself a guitar for christmas and save your parents' money

+1
One thing at a time here. Firstly, you certainly get a better amp first as the one you're using is bloody awful while the guitar is at least useable if it's properly set up. As far as the amp is concerned, I think you need to consider a few things first. What are you actually going to be using the amp for? A valve amp like the Valve King sounds a lot better when pushed hard. This is true of all valve amps so aren't generally suitable for home practise as at low volumes they sound nothing like as good. I appreciate that you will be anticipating playing gigs in the future but I would point out that you are still very inexperienced in terms of guitar equipment and your musical ear is still developing. Once you've played a bit more and your tastes have developed I think you'll find that the Peavey is actually very poor as valve amps go with its only redeeming feature being that it's very cheap. If you do decide that you want a valve amp then I'd look at a Laney VC30. It doesn't do high gain but it has a great tone to it and a decent pedal will give you all the distortion you need. This is still a VERY loud amp as a 30w valve amp is a hell of a lot more powerful than a 30w solid state. To match the volume of a 30w valve amp you'd probably need to be looking at 60 - 100w in a solid state unit.

Alternatively, why not get a solid state modelling amp so that you can experiment with different sounds and that will help to clarify in your own mind just what you like so that when you do need a bigger valve amp you have a much clearer idea of what to look for. I'd strongly suggest looking at a Roland Cube 30 as it's perfect for the styles you play, is a superb amp and is surprisingly cheap for what you get. It will give a wide range of fantastic sounds at bedroom levels but could probably be used to play a small gig if really needed.

As for the guitar, I think there are better options available to you for that money but you can maybe start a seperate thread for that if you want to.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Last edited by Doadman at Aug 21, 2008,
Thanks that helped a lot. i am sttongly considering the roland cube comtemplating the 30 and the 60. i dont really know about the guitar i havent played the jackson but my local guitar shops dont have a great selection. Rather than making an new thread and conjesting the forum does any body have any recommendations for guitars in and around 400/550 pound.
If you buy it you feel like its your property, if you get it for free you don't get that special feeling.
As a solid state modelling amp for the styles you play you simply won't find better than the Roland Cube. Whether it's the 30w or 60w is up to you as it depends on what you need it for but keep in mind that the 30w is a fantastic home amp that could maybe do a very small gig if needed. The only real difference with the 60w is more power and more money but don't think twice the wattage means twice the volume as it doesn't work that way. My only concern with the 60w is that it is then certainly powerful enough for small to medium(ish) gigs but by the time you're ready to play that kind of gig you will probably be looking for a valve amp anyway. It's your choice and you'll love both but if it were me I'd get the 30w and save a bit of cash as I just don't think you need the 60w.

On to guitars as you asked. Here's a selection of guitars that will be very good for what you're after:

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=71186

Personally I've never really got on with the ESP/LTD range but someone is bound to say they're great so I thought I might as well throw one into the mix. The spec on this is very good and the active EMG pups will give loads of power but probably not the tonal range of many passive pups. Still, try it; you may like it better than I did.

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=66779

I know, I'm blowing my own trumpet here as I have one but what the hell, it's a hell of a guitar for the price. This thing has a number of benefits to you: the body is mahogany so it will have a wonderfully rich and warm tone; the Wizard II neck is thin, flat and fast so it's ideal for your music; it is a thru-neck construction so access to the upper frets is childs play and you get loads of sustain; the trem system is an Edge Pro II which is much better than the Edge III system they use on some of their other models. This model is being phased out in favour of my next suggestion but that means that this is an absolute steal at the price and it gives you money left over to invest in a pickup upgrade to pups of your choice, which is what I did. Believe me, this is a steal at the money. When I got mine it was £500 and even at that it was the only thru-neck guitar I could buy at that price.

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=70537

This one replaces my previous suggestion but to my mind it is a step back. Sure it has the Active EMG pups but it is only a basswood body instead of mahogany and it's a damn sight more expensive. The £200 you save buying the RGT42 will pay for a set of Bare Knuckle pickups and easily cover a set of Seymour Duncans if you'd prefer those.

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=71829

This is a gorgeous guitar for the money. The mahogany body gives you that wonderful tone, the contoured body means it's very comfortable to play, the maple top makes it beautiful, the Wizard II neck makes it easy to play and the ZR trem is one of the best you can get. The lack of a thru-neck is the only reason I didn't buy this myself. (I like thru-necks; can you tell?) Like the RGT42, this is a hell of a lot of guitar for the money.

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=1245

Firstly, an apology. I got my Jackson models mixed up a bit and the one you said you were buying isn't the one I thought you were on about. Personally I'd still get something else but that's largely because I don't care for Active EMGs. This guitar is really nice and you'll find that the DK2 has a lot of fans. Beautiful guitar in every respect and another I seriously considered myself.

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=1254

I'm too old to still be interested in pointy guitars yet this one I've always loved. It's basically a DK2 in a different shape and represents fantastic value. I'm actually thinking about one of these for my son. They're not so easy to play sitting down but don't they look good. Well made, good to look at, good spec and a great price.

I have my own preference of these guitars I've listed but these are only suggestions. You need to try the all side by side and you'll know which one feels and sounds right to you. Keep us posted and good luck.
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Quote by Doadman

Alternatively, why not get a solid state modelling amp so that you can experiment with different sounds and that will help to clarify in your own mind just what you like so that when you do need a bigger valve amp you have a much clearer idea of what to look for. I'd strongly suggest looking at a Roland Cube 30 as it's perfect for the styles you play, is a superb amp and is surprisingly cheap for what you get.

+1. The Cube is very diverse.
'15 Fender Modern Player Tele
'88 MIK Squier Strat
'06 Ibanez RG5EX1
Peavey Vypyr 75

Currently GASing for: Orange TH30C
Quote by Doadman
As a solid state modelling amp for the styles you play you simply won't find better than the Roland Cube. Whether it's the 30w or 60w is up to you as it depends on what you need it for but keep in mind that the 30w is a fantastic home amp that could maybe do a very small gig if needed. The only real difference with the 60w is more power and more money but don't think twice the wattage means twice the volume as it doesn't work that way. My only concern with the 60w is that it is then certainly powerful enough for small to medium(ish) gigs but by the time you're ready to play that kind of gig you will probably be looking for a valve amp anyway. It's your choice and you'll love both but if it were me I'd get the 30w and save a bit of cash as I just don't think you need the 60w.

On to guitars as you asked. Here's a selection of guitars that will be very good for what you're after:

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=71186

Personally I've never really got on with the ESP/LTD range but someone is bound to say they're great so I thought I might as well throw one into the mix. The spec on this is very good and the active EMG pups will give loads of power but probably not the tonal range of many passive pups. Still, try it; you may like it better than I did.

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=66779

I know, I'm blowing my own trumpet here as I have one but what the hell, it's a hell of a guitar for the price. This thing has a number of benefits to you: the body is mahogany so it will have a wonderfully rich and warm tone; the Wizard II neck is thin, flat and fast so it's ideal for your music; it is a thru-neck construction so access to the upper frets is childs play and you get loads of sustain; the trem system is an Edge Pro II which is much better than the Edge III system they use on some of their other models. This model is being phased out in favour of my next suggestion but that means that this is an absolute steal at the price and it gives you money left over to invest in a pickup upgrade to pups of your choice, which is what I did. Believe me, this is a steal at the money. When I got mine it was £500 and even at that it was the only thru-neck guitar I could buy at that price.

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=70537

This one replaces my previous suggestion but to my mind it is a step back. Sure it has the Active EMG pups but it is only a basswood body instead of mahogany and it's a damn sight more expensive. The £200 you save buying the RGT42 will pay for a set of Bare Knuckle pickups and easily cover a set of Seymour Duncans if you'd prefer those.

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=71829

This is a gorgeous guitar for the money. The mahogany body gives you that wonderful tone, the contoured body means it's very comfortable to play, the maple top makes it beautiful, the Wizard II neck makes it easy to play and the ZR trem is one of the best you can get. The lack of a thru-neck is the only reason I didn't buy this myself. (I like thru-necks; can you tell?) Like the RGT42, this is a hell of a lot of guitar for the money.

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=1245

Firstly, an apology. I got my Jackson models mixed up a bit and the one you said you were buying isn't the one I thought you were on about. Personally I'd still get something else but that's largely because I don't care for Active EMGs. This guitar is really nice and you'll find that the DK2 has a lot of fans. Beautiful guitar in every respect and another I seriously considered myself.

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=1254

I'm too old to still be interested in pointy guitars yet this one I've always loved. It's basically a DK2 in a different shape and represents fantastic value. I'm actually thinking about one of these for my son. They're not so easy to play sitting down but don't they look good. Well made, good to look at, good spec and a great price.

I have my own preference of these guitars I've listed but these are only suggestions. You need to try the all side by side and you'll know which one feels and sounds right to you. Keep us posted and good luck.

Can i just say thank you. I could never have expected a reply like this and I apprecciate how much time and effort this took and the fact that im just some randomer you are talking to makes it even more incredible. Im looking at the gutiars now. Im gonna get the roland cube 30 and possibly next week if I get a chance with all the work I have to do. Guitars .... I dont have a clue. Im tempted by that RGT42DX as its not that dear and looks like a kick ass guitar. The ESP is tempting but a little dear its only my second guitar so I dont wanna go over the top. But if I play it and love it ill definitely put the extra money in. The RR3 looks really good and is used by a guitarist I like so its quite tempting but the shape could be tricky to play with. I would rather get a solid guitar which is gud to play and solid and just well standard. I will probably get that or the KVX10 after a while, a long while. The DK2 is a tricky one as it is a nice guitar and is similiar to the one I was going to buy and looks pretty good. Colour wise for it I'd probably go for transparent blue or black not sure yet. I don't particularly like the dearer RG, the RGT6 EX, as for the extra money it just doesn't seem as good. The ibanez S-670FM seems like a nice guitar but I dunno if it's for me. It just didn't strike me like the others did. But i do admire the quality and its stilll in with a shot. Is GAK the best place to buy from as I live in Northern Ireland so its hard finding a shop to deliver there. My local guitar shops are expensive and don't have really any of those guitar the only one is the RR3.
Firstly, I have no objection to offering advice to you or spending time constructing a reply. I'm happy to do that either in a thread or as a PM so don't be afraid to ask. If I don't reply it's because I've missed the thread so just send me a pm. I wish I'd had someone to help me when I was your age that's for sure.

Playing that range of guitars is difficult so it would possibly have been easier if I'd given you a shorter list but then somebody else will always chip in with other alternatives or say that what I'm suggesting is crap. It is very important that you try guitars before you buy as each will feel different to you. At the very least you need to try a guitar with the same neck so that you have at least some idea of what it feels like. As an example, you could try pretty much any Ibanez RG to get a feel of what the RGT42 or S670FM feels like because they all use the same Wizard II neck. The RG will feel more bulky and heavier simply because it it. The 'S' series is wafer thin at the edges but has a nice meaty middle to give it the rich mahogany tone and sustain. You may prefer one or the other but let's see if we can narrow it down a bit for you.

In my opinion you are right to dismiss the RGT6EX as it simply isn't worth the money as long as you can still get hold of the RGT42. Personally I'd also still look at the S670FM as it really is a great guitar and I'm unclear as to why it didn't appeal to you. Maybe the colour didn't appeal to you but I assure you it's worth a try. The LTD largely depends on if you fancy EMG Active pups or not. They're extensively used in Metal music and are super powerful but you have to keep changing a 9v battery to power them and in my opinion (others will disagree) they don't give the tonal range that other pups will. With passive pickups they tend to be more affected by the wood in the guitar while active pups remain more consistent regardless of the guitar they're loaded into. That just doesn't appeal to me as I prefer the tonal quality of a decent wood to come through. That's probably why Ibanez made the RGT6EX out of basswood while the passively equipped RGT42 got mahogany. Your choice but I'd drop it. That leaves the DK2 and the RR3 but they're essentially the same guitar anyway, it really is just down to the shape.

So, we're left with an Ibanez RGT42, an Ibanez S670FM and the two Jacksons. There is a clear difference in the woods used here and it's worth considering as it will affect your tone. The Ibanez models are made from mahogany, which is quite a heavy wood. This means the RGT is a fair weight to cart around a stage and certainly my son finds it a ton weight compared to his Alder made guitar. The slimmer 'S' series is lighter to carry yet retains the benefits of mahogany. The tone of a mahogany guitar will tend to be warm and rich sounding and the density of the wood will offer good levels of sustain. The most famous make of guitar that uses mahogany extensively is Gibson, which is why a Les Paul is so heavy, sustains so well and has such a gorgeous tone. If you like the tone of a Gibson, you'll probably like mahogany guitars. Personally I always look for mahogany as a wood because that lovely warm Gibson tone has always appealed to me. It even influenced my choice in upgraded pickups as I went for Bare Knuckle 'Cold Sweats' as they are modelled on the Gibson 'Dirty Fingers' that were used by John Sykes on the song 'Cold Sweat' by Thin Lizzy.

Jacksons tend to be made out of Alder which gives their guitars a different tonal characteristic. I always find the tone of an Alder guitar to be somewhat thinner in nature and a little more 2-dimensional. The resulting tone can be a little more metallic in nature whereas a mahogany guitar is a little more organic. The most famous guitar company to make extensive use of Alder is probably Fender in their Stratocaster models. These guitars certainly sound very different to Gibsons. Part of that is obviously down to the single coil pickups but part of it is also due to the wood. Perhaps a comparison of bands may help. BFMV use Alder bodied Jackson guitars and to me that is obvious in their music. The sound is hard edged, very articulate and metallic in nature. Compare that to bands like A7X or Black Sabbath who use mahogany bodied guitars and you'll see the tone is much thicker in those bands. There's a lot of factors involved obviously but don't underestimate the significance of the wood used. It's all personal preference. I love BFMV but I don't want to use their tone as it's not me; I simply prefer a thicker, more organic tone. You need to decide if you have a clear preference in terms of the tonal characteristics of the two brands and this may help to move you forward.

Each of the guitars here have strong features and as is always the case, the ideal guitar would be an amalgamation of all of them. The Jacksons have the best stock pups for sure as they're proper Seymour Duncans. If you're sure you want an Alder body and don't want to change the stock pups then the Jacksons are excellent value and remember, you can get a DK2 without the maple top for less money so they're not expensive.

The Ibanez S670FM has the best trem in the ZR unit and will ultimately offer the most tonal options as there are 3 pickups and 2 of them are humbuckers. When you eventually upgrade the pups you can coil tap those humbuckers and have single coil options as well. This is a very versatile guitar at a very reasonable price and again there are cheaper options in this range.

As for the RGT42, it is the only one with a thru-neck and once you've tried one you'll see why I like it so much. Play an RGT42 for a while and then try switching to a guitar with a bolt on neck like a Stratocaster and you'll see what I mean. This is very cheap for what it is but you won't be able to hang around forever as they will surely sell at that price.

One factor you may want to keep in mind is that pickups can always be changed if you want better items but the wood it's made of and the dimensions of the neck can't. Stock pups on the Ibanez models are fine but I always knew I'd want my guitar fitted with the exact pups I wanted and that was why when I bought it I wasn't too bothered about what pups were in it; the wood and the neck were far more important to me.

I feel like I've written forever here so I'd better stop boring you. This has taken it down to essentially 3 guitars (I'm counting the 2 Jacksons as one guitar as only the shape seperates them) and I would certainly recommend you try them all in one form or another. As for where to buy them, GAK are very competitive on price and I've always found their service to be excellent. I can't imagine why they wouldn't deliver to Northern Ireland. Whichever guitar you get, my final piece of advice would be that when it arrives, you invest £20 - £25 in getting it properly setup by a good guitar tech as it is well worth the money. Good luck in your search and please keep me posted as to what you get and why. I'm naturally curious having invested so much time to this thread.
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1