Page 1 of 2
I can play old school metal all day, I grew up with it, I breate it, etc. I'm talkin' like Nuclear Assault, Acid Bath, Sepultura, SToD, etc.

But I'm trying to learn some of the new stuff now. Like I know pretty much all of Lamb of God's Ashes of the Wake album, but that's about it for new metal. What's some good songs to look into? Oh and please don't suggest you're favorite Guitar Hero songs (Six, Thunderhorse, Light that Blinds, etc.)
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
protest the hero, the human abstract...( you might not concider this METAL METAL, but try to play there ****....lol) august burns red, job for a cowboy, all that remains (mostly six) haha,
Stop Reading My Signature

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Blackjack w/ EMG 81/85 PA2
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3
Though the band is incredibly gay... Protest the Hero-The Dessentiance is pretty fun to play. If I spelled that right... I don't really know any of their other songs as I don't listen to them. I just heard that song somewhere one day and it sounded fun to play so I tried it out.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
as i lay dying has some sweet stuff on their newest album
in flames also has some good stuff
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Hmm... never heard of Protest the Hero, I'll check into them. Lime Wire here I come lol

Any other suggestions?
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

Machine Head - The Blackening
All Opeth albums

/thread
Quote by fleajr_1412
You have amazing taste in men.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
I think some Mastodon songs are really fun, if you can actually play em. Try Cappilarian Crest, Aqua Dementia, Crystal skull, or Bladecatcher.
Pantera, unless youd consider them old metal. But Cemetery Gates and Domination are good songs by them
trivium, children of bodom (there the ****), Unearth, devil driver, sea of treachery, all shall perish

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3
lol Protest the Hero's The Dessentiance reminds me of a bunch of Heavy Metal Clowns trying to make your ears laugh. Their riffs are.....noodlely....

Any more suggestions? Lol I'm gonna learn that song just to say I can play a noodlely rythym riff
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

Well you said I can't recommend Six...

But I will suggest learning some material off the album its on - The Fall of Ideals. There is a lot of awesome guitar work on that album.

Protest the Hero is another band with some sick guitar work.

Maybe some Children of Bodom, more Lamb of God, Mastodon, Arch Enemy, Once Nothing (Yea I know they aren't actually "metal" but they are pretty brutal and they've got some nice guitar parts), Machine Head. If you have access to a 7 string you might wanna get into some Unearth... You should find something in that list that will catch your interest.
the timing is whats hard for protest the hero lots of like short rests and stuff

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Well you said I can't recommend Six...

But I will suggest learning some material off the album its on - The Fall of Ideals. There is a lot of awesome guitar work on that album.

Protest the Hero is another band with some sick guitar work.

Maybe some Children of Bodom, more Lamb of God, Mastodon, Arch Enemy, Once Nothing (Yea I know they aren't actually "metal" but they are pretty brutal and they've got some nice guitar parts), Machine Head. If you have access to a 7 string you might wanna get into some Unearth... You should find something in that list that will catch your interest.

2nd this guy

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3
haha Thanks guys. This list should keep me occupied for awhile. I'm open for anything else you wanna throw my way
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

god forbid

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3
Children of Bodom-Hatebreeder get the album, its amazing

Protest teh hero is good until the singer starts singing

Machine Head is pretty good

Behemoth
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
Quote by Flux'D
lol Protest the Hero's The Dessentiance reminds me of a bunch of Heavy Metal Clowns trying to make your ears laugh. Their riffs are.....noodlely....

Any more suggestions? Lol I'm gonna learn that song just to say I can play a noodlely rythym riff

Yeah, like I said they are pretty gay. But those riffs are fun to play.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
Children of Bodom - Hatecrew Deathroll, Follow The Reaper (both albums)

any song from either album is insane.
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
Suffocation's self titled album is killer, I recomend learning their stuff.

Aborted are another good one if you like that sort of thing... Their album Strychnine.213 is decent.

Nile's Ithyphallic has a killer sound, worth learning their songs.

Behemoth maybe..
Two words: Dream Theater. Well, they're not really new, but they... sound... new? *runs*

But yeah, Machine Head is fun, so is Pantera.
Next thing you know, they'll take my thoughts away...
If your looking for some challenging stuff check out The Faceless. theres a song in my profile if you wanna hear. Might not be your style tho.
To deny our own impulses, is to deny the very thing that makes us human.
The Serpentine Offering.

Brutal.
Let's go back to five billion bpm and see how good i am.
Quote by numbfinger
god forbid

+1

Devildriver, Arch Enemy, Amon Amarth, In Flames, Opeth.
Between the Buried and Me has some sick tunes,

Try Alaska or Selkies: the endless obsession
I'll say Opeth and Mastodon again.

I'd also heartily recommend learning or looking at something by Necrophagist. Dude is crazy.
I absolutely hate them but Dying Fetus has some pretty nasty riffs.

ALL other suggestions in this thread have been awesome. I'm surprised so many know The Human Abstract.
old Soilwork ftw! like...anything from Chainheart Machine or A Predators Portrait
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
Necrophagist, Nile, Opeth, Wintersun, and Dream Theatre all have ridiculously difficult guitar parts in their songs. Look into them.

1980s Ibanez RG470
Epiphone G400
Peavey Vypyr 30
Vox DA5
Vox Cybaby Wah
Monster Cables
and Red Jazz IIIs

I donated 2020 grains of rice

http://freerice.com/index.php
Quote by Sora 01
In flames, textures, meshuggah, the human abstract as said before

Meshuggah? 9 minutes of practicing triplets...
Quote by Slay 'Em
Meshuggah? 9 minutes of practicing triplets...

Most Meshuggah is a brain workout rhythmically, if you have a 7 string or 8 string, I highly recommend this!

Also as mentioned above, check out Between The Buried & Me, Opeth, Machinehead, Strapping Young Lad, Nevermore (Jeff Loomis is god), Mastodon, and Alter Bridge (Although I'm not a huge fan).
Quote by Flux'D
I can play old school metal all day, I grew up with it, I breate it, etc. I'm talkin' like Nuclear Assault, Acid Bath, Sepultura, SToD, etc.

But I'm trying to learn some of the new stuff now. Like I know pretty much all of Lamb of God's Ashes of the Wake album, but that's about it for new metal. What's some good songs to look into? Oh and please don't suggest you're favorite Guitar Hero songs (Six, Thunderhorse, Light that Blinds, etc.)

Oh god stay away from that new (and nu) metal ****. Stick to the classic stuff dude. Lamb of god is nothing compared to that classic stuff.

IF you need heavier stuff look into bloodbath, jungle rot, suffocation, basically old school death metal or heavier thrash like dark angel or whatnot. If you haven't heard of exodus look em up(bonded by blood album is amazing)

stay away from bands like pantera. they are **** comparedt o nuclear assault(survive ftw) and sepultura.
Quote by The Spoon
Unless you're sure she likes you, telling her you like her has a 110% chance of failing.

But hey, at least you have a 10% chance of absolutely guaranteeing failure.
I love Jungle Rot, Nile, Blind Guardian, Death, Morbid Angel, etc. They're all mandatory in my collection lol. I've never bothered to look up Nevermore or Opeth tabs now that I think of it. And yea Meshuggah is the ****. If you like them, check out Scar Symmetry (However it's spelt).

Oh and to the guy that suggested Dethklok......... No.
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

Nevermore is awesome, and they have a lot of cool songs that don't use 7 strings, so you can play them without having to shift everything down a fifth. Opeth is amazing as well. Mastodon has a lot of really cool songs as well.

Oh, and if you're feeling like a workout, learn "The Wicked End" by Avenged Sevenfold. I'm not a huge AX7 fan, but that song's solo is insane, and the harmony bit after the interlude is awesome.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Oh, and Meshuggah is absolutely ridiculous. THeir stuff doesn't sound hard, but then you try and play it, and you just think, "WHO THE **** WOULD WRITE MUSIC THIS HARD?!"
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Weeeeellll... they have metal influences but are technically a post-hardcore band, but Thrice songs are really fun. Especially Deadbolt.

But for tr00 metal, In Flames is good. Nevermore. Mastodon is pretty cool.
'15 Fender Modern Player Tele
'88 MIK Squier Strat
'06 Ibanez RG5EX1
Peavey Vypyr 75

Currently GASing for: Orange TH30C
Page 1 of 2