hey everyone,

i got a new esp ec400 and it was perfectly set up (standard tuning, 10 gauge strings) when i bougth it. now i got some gibson powerlines (12' to 052) and i rejusted it completely. but im having a problem : everytime i hold a note on the higher 3 strings (which action is quite low) it bleeds out (it sounds like its dying because of very slight rattling to the frets). the strange thing is : below the 12th fret its sounds just great.

i reckon its the truss rod but it seems perfectly straight to me

anybody got any ideas besides raping it?
i tried , but it didnt help at all (i adjusted it only a bit because i dont see playing with that high an action)
slightly higher nut might work
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
and btw i think if it were the action it would buzz on the whole neck not just the upper part of it
Quote by scarecrow_
and btw i think if it were the action it would buzz on the whole neck not just the upper part of it

Nope. I've had the same problem before and raising the action will alleviate the buzzing.
why spend that much on a guitar if you dont know how to set it up?...

oohh, but, when you change from a lower string gauge to a higher one, you WILL NEED TO ADJUST THE TRUSS ROD.

seeing as how you didnt know that in the first place, dont mess with it.
take it to a tech and have it set up if you still want to keep the 12's on it.
Fender MIA Standard Strat
ESP LTD Viper 407
Epiphone SG
Starcaster by Fender(modded with Bill Lawrence l-500-xl)
PEAVEY 6505+ (FJA transistor modd)
Peavey 65 watt transtube studio-112
Marshall 1960AV
Vader 2x12
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 band EQ
like some people stated before, sounds like you need a slight truss rod adjustment
and i rejusted it completely
i rejusted the truss rod and as i said it looks completely straight .
^Yup. Fret it at the first fret and the 15th-18th-ish fret at the same time, depending on where the neck meets the body (use a capo if you're not nimble enough) and there should be enough room between the high E string and the 12th fret to just barely fit another high E in between.

This problem sounds like a pretty standard one that comes from a combo of too low action, too straight truss rod and lack of what is commonly referred to as a "compound radius".
Quote by doctorcheeze200
oohh, but, when you change from a lower string gauge to a higher one, you WILL NEED TO ADJUST THE TRUSS ROD.

Actually I just read an article in Guitar World not too long ago and it said that you only need to adjust the trust rod if you're making a huge jump in string gauge (Like 8s or 9s all the way up to 12s or 13s).

Like I already said - raise the action a little more and it should take care of the problem.