I have an Epiphone sg-310. I'm trying to learn how to play thrash, but I'm not getting the desired palm mute sound, which is essential for that type of music. So I was thinking about getting some new pick ups. The ones I have in it now are stock. I would prefer passive pick-ups. What do you think are the best pick-ups for Thrash?

Also since I use a Spider III 75 watt, I'll also take suggestions for a new amp
Last edited by darktrooper12 at Aug 20, 2008,
What kind of amp do you have?

Edit: It's a Sipder III. That's why you're not getting a good thrash tone, not your pickups. You need to get a different amp, because pickups will make NO difference with that thing.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
yah the rule is its your amp before your pickups, i think a thread said that you get a good amp for what style you want and your 95% there for your tone, the other 5 is pickups if the body of your guitar is good for the pickups
Quote by haha
every time I see your username I press F8 out of curiosity then I have to give myself a big ol' facepalm

Quote by ouch
What the hell? F8 doesn't do anything interesting This toy is lame

Quote by TheReverend724
I can have a beer later, I need to level Charmeleon NOW!
Get a new amp. A Spider 3 will sound pretty much the same with new pickups. Definately save up your money for a Randall or a Peavey tube combo.
Ever thought of buying a distortion pedal or soemthing instead of new pickups? Alot cheaper.
Gear n Shizz:

Washburn X50 Pro
Epiphone Korina Explorer
Line 6 Flextone III 75w
Yeah I know my amp is a fail I just thought that new pick ups could help. I kinda though that the guitar itself, or myself was the problem. I didn't think that the spider 3 was such a fail that it cant properly "comprehend" palm muted notes.
Yeah i think spider 3s have a big problem registering palm mutes and chords well. Even power chords. If i was you i'd rather spend the pickup money on a roland micro cube or something.

*EDIT* And if a spider 3 doesnt cut it for you now, buying a distortion pedal for it definitely won't either.
new pups would be kinda of a waste through that amp, and spending $150 on new pups for a $200 guitar doesn't make much sense
yeah save for a good tube amp like bugera, great amps for all genres of metal although they r a bit over kill for bedroom rocking since 120 tube watts would be like having 300 solid state watts or some were in that area lol so just a little over kill lol

but any good tube amp would ideally do u good
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100
Honesty is the best policy!

...Unless your trying to get a job. In which case, lie like you just got pulled over with a dead body and some shovels in the back seat.

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS
use the insane channel or crank up the drive on the metal channel. i usually just use the metal channel with high distortion or the insane channel. i have a small 30 watt spider, but stuff like slayer and children of bodom sound just fine
ill say this, i dont mind spider IIIs i think the bigger combos are great for what they do, but if your not getting your preffered tone its because you dont like the tone the amp gives (spiders have terrible cleans anything other than a properly set metal or insane sounds like crap and dont run distortion pedals thru it since there built in effects do it already). and not to knock your skill but its probally becasue you cant do palm mutes that well. make sure your technique is fine before you knock the equipment (although spiders are 50/50 on this.) you dont need to knock your skill either, never put yourself down. that being said keep your amp for now unless you quickly come into spendable cash often in which case buy cheap tube combo amp those will be fine for practice (i still use an SS so im not 100% but they are better for rock and metal than most SSs if not all of them) and like i said earlier its never the pickups by themselves its the amp, then the pickups, then the body of the guitar
im just going off of the thread all this is in go look through that one it wil help you decide on what you reall need to do.
Quote by haha
every time I see your username I press F8 out of curiosity then I have to give myself a big ol' facepalm

Quote by ouch
What the hell? F8 doesn't do anything interesting This toy is lame

Quote by TheReverend724
I can have a beer later, I need to level Charmeleon NOW!