Page 1 of 2
Gibson and Fender had sex. . . . . . . . . . . . .

Flamed swamp ash back,
Spalted/Flamed maple top,
Rosewood neck and fingerboard,
25" scale length,
2 Degree neck angel, 1 degree headstock angle,
T.O.M with ferrules or wrap over.

Maybe 2 x P90's. . . . . . . .

It was gonna go on that spotlight special les paul but I decided I wanted crown inlays and a mahog neck on that bad boy!

It was just sat there along side several half finished necks and bodys. I want to do something a little different for the show in November so thought it'd be cool. It's not to everyones taste but I kinda like it, it'll be a talking point if nothing else!

I've got a couple a tele necks nearly there but they just didnt really go with that top so though I'd go for something a little outragous. . . . . . . .
As for the SG idea. . . . .I got some rosewood for a through neck SG that Im gonna do if I get time, its gonna have a thin body about 38mm thick, should keep the weight down too.
Looks really nice i think. Stain it a Walnut-type color maybe, or something a bit dark. 2 P-90's would be pretty nice i think, or a Tele bridge pickup with a good Vintage PAF, f you really want to do a hybrid guitar.
Ahhh, Gibson is such a little slut.

That body is gorgeous though. First time I've seen flame swamp ash. Looks nice.

Not sure about the dark headstock against the light maple body though.
Weekend Warrior
Quote by ML_Guitar09

Yeah, might face it up with some off cuts from the top to balance it up a bit
aesthetically i dont really like the shape of the headstock when paired with that body. it just doesnt seem right, the design doesn't exactly flow from one to the other.
Quote by ML_Guitar09

I agree. I think the shape of the headstock looks fine with the body. But I don't care for the way you have 3 different shades of wood. If the headstock had a veneer that matched the body, or if the headstock matched the fretboard, I think it would look more pleasing.
The wood of the neck looks like ASS with the body man
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
Not my style but its cool non the less.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Changed the top of the headstock now, just gotta carve the neck and its onto the final sanding.

I'll get some pics up later today.
What's with the words aganist this build?
I find it looks awesome!
Though the headstock isn't "Natural" on the body (I'm a Fender purist ) it still looks kick ass.

Lookin' forward for the new pics
I love how the woods go together. I've got a friend who has a Tele with a Gibson headstock, and I always pick on it. Doesn't go together well.

The wood, on the other hand, is perfect. I'd love to see a slightly non-Gibson shaped headstock on there, maybe a little rounder on the end and shortened. It would silence most of the haters, I guess.

But either way, do what you like. Who cares what we think?
All my photobucket pics are dead so no links to my guitar build threads.
My Music
That spalted maple is the sex...
But the rosewood headstock just doesn't go with the body to be honest, maybe it would look better if it were the same colour as the body wood. However, I think the actual shape of the headstock looks good with the body, it's definately a Fender/Gibson lovechild!
Good job on getting that wood as well.
Quote by mexican_shred
^oh jesus christ . just because it has the same brand name and a remotely same name doesnt make it at all the same. its like saying a cat is like a human because its a mammal.
Last edited by UnresolvdMurder at Sep 9, 2008,
Oh, and did you typo on the headstock angle? Looks more like 10 degrees, not 1 degree.
All my photobucket pics are dead so no links to my guitar build threads.
My Music
hm... It's already bright. I'd say something not similar to the Duncan JB.
Also, I'm glad that spalted maple isn't like the one you had on that explorer. too much fungus for me on that one. I like the subtlety of the spalt on this one though, very nice.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Pyrofretnic
P-rails?

Fullsize humbucker when unsplit, full size p-90 when coil split.

They're also single coils too.

So: Humbucker, p-90, and single coil. All in one.
Weekend Warrior
SD SH-6 in the bridge and a '59 in the neck.
Quote by asfastasdark
+1. This man knows his ****.

Walker Rose.
Quote by 13-GUITARIST
looks very nice, wanna build me one. I'll pay you.

This one is for sale. I'll build you anything you like though.

P Rails might be cool, I'll look into em.
Tis not very spalty spalt!

http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=5031.0

This pwns!

But you do verry nice work so it evens out!
Gear: Warmoth Soloist / Hondo Acou. / Ibanez AS73

Hardwire TL-2 / Boss GE-7 / Electro Harmonix Small Stone Nano / Boss DD-3 / MXR Smart Gate / Ibanez TS9 / Unknown Tremolo

Bugera V55 / Home Made Cab w/ Celestion Speakers G12M & G12T
true, but it's just a veneer-1/8" thick.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Still gonna have an effect on the sound coz it'll deaden the vibrations of the body to a certain extent. i'd sacrifice that though if it looked like that!
i think spalted maple tele's are the only good looking tele's. i've seen one in my life and it was awesome. the maple was a lot crazier than yours though. still nice.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Last edited by apak at Sep 20, 2008,
Quote by jscustomguitars
Yeah, its nice but its probably so far gone its like bolsa wood. Not great for tone!

Not really, the guy who made it said it sounds damn awesome!

Did you make those Pup rings, if so, how much?I'll buy ONE.
Gear: Warmoth Soloist / Hondo Acou. / Ibanez AS73

Hardwire TL-2 / Boss GE-7 / Electro Harmonix Small Stone Nano / Boss DD-3 / MXR Smart Gate / Ibanez TS9 / Unknown Tremolo

Bugera V55 / Home Made Cab w/ Celestion Speakers G12M & G12T
If you're open to the suggestion, a very light translucent yellow gloss on that wood would look gorgeous.
There's only one thing we can do to thwart the plot of these albino shape-shifting lizard BITCHES!
Yeah it was nice around there but I thought it just looked odd the other way round with the spalting getting thinner towards the bottom of the body
Quote by jscustomguitars
No mate, not a big fan of that colour unless its on a normal tele. Just gonna do it natural.

Fairy nuft. If it changes anything, I was the same until I got my tele and I think it's beautiful now. It highlights the grain rather than covering it and gives it a classy overtone too.
There's only one thing we can do to thwart the plot of these albino shape-shifting lizard BITCHES!
Quote by jscustomguitars
Still gonna have an effect on the sound coz it'll deaden the vibrations of the body to a certain extent. i'd sacrifice that though if it looked like that!

can't be any worse than this conklin guitar... it actually kinda makes me nauseus looking at it

Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
Page 1 of 2