I was thinking about putting thicker strings on my Strat as I'm more of an acoustic player and would be more comfortable with the feel and think it would give me much thicker tone.

Just a few questions:

WILL it in fact, give me better tone?
I'm guessing that string thickness is the same in acoustic and electric, as in 12s are the same on acoustic and electric, correct?

and finally

How DO I set up my guitar for this so the neck won't snap right off?
fck.
I think it does give a better tone with thicker strings. I've been using 10-52s for ages now because of that. The electrics still feel looser than acoustics though in my opinion...even with the heavier gauge on a electric. And last you will have to do some bridge and truss rod adjustments to get the best tone and stuff. Especially since you are probably going from 9-42's or something.
Quote by bullseyestrat
The electrics still feel looser than acoustics though in my opinion...even with the heavier gauge on a electric.

Exactly, 10 gauge electrics will still feel looser than 10 gauge acoustics
10-52 rocks...but don't use 12's on a strat m8.
But even if you do, they'll feel looser on an electric...electrics do not have that much tension.
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
I would probably be going much higher since aren't acoustics usually using 13s or so for "medium" strings? I'll have to check out what I use when I get home but I really don't mind heavier strings that much.

Any links to a guide so I can do it properly?
fck.