I was a bit curious, so I looked up 1x18 cabinets; the only ones I could find with a cursory search though were from SWR and Eden. I guess 1x18 cabs aren't that common, but I sort of expected that...
Are there any other companies that make 1x18 cabs? How different are they from 1x15s? Are they worth the extra money? Also how good is SWR and Eden gear?
Thanks guys

Cheers
If you give a man a fire, he'll be warm for an hour.
If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm the rest of his life.
They give a heavier low end than 15" speakers, but at a significant loss of higher range response. While they worl great in a stack with a cab with speakers more suited to midrange and higher frequencies, they are not good at all alone.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
If you want to be like Fitz, you could do something like his 2x12 + 1x18 setup.

check out all they videos on youtube
they dead serious about thuggin like that
if you ask me they are fruity
an i hope one morning they drown in there fruit loops
I love Eden amps and the only SWR amp ive seen, a workingman head into 2-10 was miles ahead of my ashdown in almost everyway... But if i had to choose id go to Eden.
'85 Fender Reissue '75 Jazz Bass ---> Ashdown MAG300h
Schecter C/SH-1 ---> Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Carvin's are supposed to be good and relatively cheap because they're factory direct. Eden is expensive but i would love to have an eden 1x18. Rememeber that a 1x18 alone sounds kinda muddy but with a 2x12 or 4x10 they sound quite nice. 2 12's might actually get a rounder sound that the 4x10 because there's so much difference in tones between 18's and 10's... if you understand what i mean.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
I don't have a 1x18 unfortunately, and I really regret getting my 115. Trully.

Anyway, you are missing something important - the impedence of your cab. It's very important to pay attention to and totally changes how you set up your rig. My 212 is a 4 ohm, so to get the most of my amp, I need a sub cab that's also 4 ohms. I have 2 power amps, running 4 ohms each. That's the maximum power I can get with 2 ohms 'worth' of cabs. Now, if my 212 was 8 ohms, I'd need an 8 ohm sub to get the most power, running mono-bridge at 4 ohms.

Anyway, I don't know what head you have, but if it runs in 2 ohms, I'd look into a 4 ohm 18 - either a Hartke or a Carvin (the only new choices). If your head only goes to 4 ohms or runs a 4 ohm mono bridge, you'll want an 8 ohm - either an SWR, Eden, and I believe Trace Elliot.

And in my (and many people's) opinion, I think SWR and Eden are the 2 best bass amp/cab companies in the business.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Hmm... I was truly under the impression that Fitz had an 18"cab. Silly me.

check out all they videos on youtube
they dead serious about thuggin like that
if you ask me they are fruity
an i hope one morning they drown in there fruit loops
We used to use a Yamaha 1x18 cab at youth group. It sounded great, but not much high end. If mowing down the front row with your uber-powerful bass response is the goal, 18 inch drivers are your friend. Now we're probably going to use that cab as a sub and use the 2 2x10 SWR cabs we have/
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Quote by Revelation
Rememeber that a 1x18 alone sounds kinda muddy but with a 2x12 or 4x10 they sound quite nice. 2 12's might actually get a rounder sound that the 4x10 because there's so much difference in tones between 18's and 10's... if you understand what i mean.

What do you guys think? Would a 2x12 go with a 1x18 better than a 4x10?
If you give a man a fire, he'll be warm for an hour.
If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm the rest of his life.
i think a 2x12 would give you a punchier sound, wich can be very nice, if you have a Jbass or MM bass
but a 4X10 will add a bit more of high end and will push more air, wich is what i preffer with a p bass
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
Quote by thefitz
And in my (and many people's) opinion, I think SWR and Eden are the 2 best bass amp/cab companies in the business.

Here, Fitz is flexing his savvy muscle.

Although there are a couple of gaping holes in my experience (believe it - I've never played an Ashdown), I've still run through my share of equipment. SWR makes stuff that is freaking SOLID, untouchable in how... "right" it feels. And Eden's got one of the hottest sounds out there (without pissing me off like Ampeg). I give my bronze to GK, but they've got more traditional cabinets so that's irrelevant.

God, it feels good to have your opinions affirmed when you realize that they correlate to Fitz's. Because he's definitely more knowledgeable than me.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
Quote by WhyLater
God, it feels good to have your opinions affirmed when you realize that they correlate to Fitz's. Because he's definitely more knowledgeable than me.

Do my old "Don't complement me; what I spout brings the bass forum down" lines still have any life left, or do I have to move on?

But yeah, I think I'll elabourate (whoops, misspelled that word again) a bit - I think SWR is the premier 'hi-fi' company while Eden is the premier 'round tone' company. I know Ampeg's considered the 'round' king by most, but their whole "our amps from 1969 are God and we won't change a thing" attitude and Vietnamese outsourcing really make me question why Ampeg even exists. Eden has the same qualities in it's tone that Ampeg has, however the Eden has many modern appointments and refinements that few, if any Ampeg heads have (passive EQ on the CL and the whole graphic + passive EQ on other heads... I mean wtf!?). I like their 6-PRO, however. Eden has the tone that every single player will like, but SWR has a tone that's an acquired taste - but if that taste is yours, no other amp can touch it. Cab-wise, it's the same deal, but I give Eden the overall nod here. They have many classic and contemporary designs that are just solid and 100% full range. I find that SWR has some lacking configurations (where are you, Bigfoot 212?). I'm not a 10" speaker kinda guy.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..