Hey guys...ok...here is where I'm getting frustrated. I've been playing guitar for at least six years now...but I seem to have hit a bit of a wall. I haven't been getting any better at anything...not even my own style that I kinda ripped from Cherub Rock....should I get some books....study a certain artist...study music theory...anything! Serisously, it's starting to piss me off that I can't really come up with too much....and I don't hate power chords, but unless I'm with another guitarist, bassist, singer, or drummer, I try my best not to use them so much. I even bought an Epiphone Les Paul Standard as a starting point....but I just don't seem to pass it...

Has anyone else hit that wall???
You're not inspired to improve.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
Quote by RiotStartsHere
Hey guys...ok...here is where I'm getting frustrated. I've been playing guitar for at least six years now...but I seem to have hit a bit of a wall.

There's a difference between owning a guitar and playing it, its obvious that you have not been playing for 6 years if Cherub rock is your limit.

Be honest with me and I'll try to help you.
Rag Mop Do Do Duh DoDo Dedo Do!!!!!

R_A_G_G_M_O_P_P

RAGMOP
I don't know Cherub Rock, but based on the above post I'll assume they're not the most technical band there is, but if you know what style music you want to play, then it doesn't matter if you just play powerchords or if you can play like Petrucci, if it fits the style and if it sounds good it's ok. But if you just want to improve technically there are thousands of lessons on this site, learn different scales, difficult fingering positions, hard picking patterns, unusual timings, ..
We are "PSYCHONAUT", Psychedelic/Stoner/Sludge from Belgium.

Check out our recordings and shows here:

BandCamp
YouTube
FaceBook
I kinda seems like it is though...true I've been playing on and off but more on obviously...

I'm being very serious and honest. Believe me...I was getting pissed off so bad today...
Quote by cocacolabottle
I don't know Cherub Rock, but based on the above post I'll assume they're not the most technical band there is, but if you know what style music you want to play, then it doesn't matter if you just play powerchords or if you can play like Petrucci, if it fits the style and if it sounds good it's ok. But if you just want to improve technically there are thousands of lessons on this site, learn different scales, difficult fingering positions, hard picking patterns, unusual timings, ..

Cherub Rock is a song by Smashing Pumpkins
Quote by Red33
There's a difference between owning a guitar and playing it, its obvious that you have not been playing for 6 years if Cherub rock is your limit.

Be honest with me and I'll try to help you.

This.

You need to push yourself to be better, it doesn't happen if all you're doing is dusting it off once a week to play the same stuff.

Learn chords and why they work. Learn the notes on your fretboard. Learn scales (not just boxes and shapes, but notes). The great thing about guitar is you get out of it exactly what you put in.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Just start playing stuff you've never been into. Say you're an avid metal elitist, start playing bluegrass or something. Just mix some variety, and then you'll get frustrated that the leading guitar players of your new genre are amazing and you'll try harder. Hopefully.

DON'T PANIC! DON'T PANIC!
THEY DON'T LIKE IT UP 'EM!
Quote by RiotStartsHere
I get ya...I have a few books. One is Jazz & Popular Guitar and another on scales...

In addition to that, I'd suggest checking out the articles and lessons on the main Ultimate-Guitar site. There's a great series of articles about theory called "The Crusade", it's got great information and it's presented in easy to understand terms. I'd say tackle each one in 1 - 2 week incriments.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
this is the pit.
the only instrument we play with is our penis.

go to the electric guitar forum.
DON'T HIRE RON WILSON
Try recording yourself when you practice then listen back to it, lets you hear mistakes you make and helps you to work on clearing them up.
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon
Quote by RiotStartsHere
Hey guys...ok...here is where I'm getting frustrated. I've been playing guitar for at least six years now...but I seem to have hit a bit of a wall. I haven't been getting any better at anything...not even my own style that I kinda ripped from Cherub Rock....should I get some books....study a certain artist...study music theory...anything! Serisously, it's starting to piss me off that I can't really come up with too much....and I don't hate power chords, but unless I'm with another guitarist, bassist, singer, or drummer, I try my best not to use them so much. I even bought an Epiphone Les Paul Standard as a starting point....but I just don't seem to pass it...

Has anyone else hit that wall???

Do that and listen to some new music and you're good to go.
Quote by LPDave
and my mom then told me to masturbate more.

Quote by Toastbot

Big burly men grunting without shirts on pretty much summed up my childhood.

Quote by The Leader
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do more look like?