I am in serious need of a new bass. I have my Thunderbird right now along with about 3 no name basses that my given-up-on-bass friends have thrown my way. I figured that now that my band is starting to get fairly well know, I need something more legitiamate that can get a consistant sound that's not that of a dying seal. I've got a price range of about $1200 or so.

I've played a lot of basses, and a lot have been good and a LOT have been bad. I'm the kind of guy who likes a bass that can be set up so that i barely have to touch the strings to fret a note, but I hate fret buzz with a mighty, burning passion.

So far my favorite has seemed to be the Spector I tryed out at my local music store. I could get a great variety of sounds from it. So far that's my top pick, but I'd like some other suggestions from the folks here at bass forum.

If it's of much help I need something that can handle everything from metal to smooth jazz and blues.

(PS: I didn't like the American Fenders all that much... Just a pesonal thing, I guess.)

If you don't want to read all that I need suggestions on a bass around $1200 or so that is versitile...

check out all they videos on youtube
they dead serious about thuggin like that
if you ask me they are fruity
an i hope one morning they drown in there fruit loops
Quote by Wasted Bassist

If you don't want to read all that I need suggestions on a bass around $1200 or so that is versitile...

As little as you like Fenders, they are really good for that.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by ChemicalFire
As little as you like Fenders, they are really good for that.

I didn't like the feel of the Fenders (with exception to the Aerodyne) at ALL.

Warwick!
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Well, judging by your love of the Spector, I will also throw Warwick into the frame, as they are another modern sounding brand, that make excellent instruments for the price (seriously, even though some of their models are rediculously expensive, I still feel you get more than you pay for in almost all cases).
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
My local store doesn't carry Warwick unfortunately... The next time I would get a chance to even think about playing one is if I go to Minneapolis which isn't for about another 2 months or so. I may see if my mom would let me go on a day trip there with my guitarists in my band and my girfriend if I get more information.

i'd say warwick... i heard fender basses are supposed to be decent but i despise fender like you... but pick up a fender and compare it to the other basses your looking at and compare without favoring the bass that isnt a fender... but i would go with a warwick corvette
What doesn't kill us, only makes us stronger

Bass: Ibanez Gsr200
Bass amp: Ibanez sw100 stack

Guitar: squier starter pack

never buy a squier!
schecters are better than any high end ibanez

never buy a squier!
Quote by tbirds1013

I guess that depends. My Schecter isn't very great. The fretboard is coming off the neck near frets 1-4. The neck warped pretty quickly too.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
it's a 5 hour drive each way...

I'd buy the Spector myself, but again for what you are looking for Warwick is the only other brand that comes to mind in that price range, if you are going to exclude Fender. For EBs, I'd look at the Sterling series, a Bongo and at least try a Stingray (which is my favourite in the bunch).
I've tried EBs and the stingray was nice, but I don't think I can justify the price. I LOVED the Bongo. I definately can't justify buying that though. I think I may be fairly settled on the Spector. Since it's in the lower range of my price gap, I'll probably pick up that boss bass distortion I've wanted for oh-so-long.

look at warwicks... it could be worth the trip

never buy a squier!
In my opinion, the Warwicks look like ugly versions of Spectors. I've used Warwick a couple Warwicks before, and didn't like the sounds I got from it. At this point I think I just need to decide if I'm ready/if it's neccesary to go for the 5 string yet. I visited my music store again, this morning (like 11 am my time) and after playing a few more instruments, I think it's come down to the Spector. I think I'll probably stick to 4 strings, unless something drastic changes in the very near future. Thank's for everyone's help and suggestions. If you guys have any help you could give me on what distortion pedals to try, that'd also be of a lot of help.

Boss OBD3 very good and cheap, only thing is its not that versatile, at some point I'd like to add something fuzzier as well, but the boss will seve you well.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
For you love of low action, you definetly need to check out some Ibanez basses. Check out the high end SR Ibanez basses.
Gear:
EBMM Bongo HS 4
EBMM Sting Ray 5
Eden D410T
Tech 21 Sansamp RBI
Tech 21 Sansamp RPM
Art 341 Dual Channel EQ
QSC GX5 Power Amp
I've heard that Ibanez is good for low action, but how are they sound wise?

Ibanez are great basses, as for the sound. I find them to be fairly versitile instruments. Great sound no doubt about it. Head to closet music store and try some out.
Gear:
EBMM Bongo HS 4
EBMM Sting Ray 5
Eden D410T
Tech 21 Sansamp RBI
Tech 21 Sansamp RPM
Art 341 Dual Channel EQ
QSC GX5 Power Amp
I don't have a "closet" music store, but I'll be stopping by the music store in town tommorow afternoon. It turns out I need to make my decision in the next week if I'm buying locally, because my band is going to be going in to record in about a week and a half.

I ment one close by, spelling error on my end.
Gear:
EBMM Bongo HS 4
EBMM Sting Ray 5
Eden D410T
Tech 21 Sansamp RBI
Tech 21 Sansamp RPM
Art 341 Dual Channel EQ
QSC GX5 Power Amp
Quote by CNC-Digity
I ment one close by, spelling error on my end.

I know, I'm just an asshole.

Quote by Wasted Bassist

You and I just became closer friends.

I'm going to throw in another chip to the Ibanez pool. Soundgear is a great line, and it's got what you've described - good for low action, high response, versatility. And I'm used to dealing with the lower end ones; they make some real nice ones more in your range. I personally use an Ibanez Ergodyne, if you want to check those out. I love that bass, you just can't fault it.

Admittedly, I'm not as familiar with Warwick as a lot of other people are. I've only played a Rockbass. Once. So.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
Quote by kiennM

?

You only put two dots, so it's not an elipses...

I'm very confused about this post at the moment.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by tbirds1013

no. you need to silence yourself.

Ibanez is amazing, and they make some of the best basses I've played. the SRs are amazing. Schecter, the only reason I bought mine was that it was used and easily the best 400 USD bass in store.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by Wasted Bassist

LMAO

never buy a squier!
Quote by the humanity
no. you need to silence yourself.

Ibanez is amazing, and they make some of the best basses I've played. the SRs are amazing. Schecter, the only reason I bought mine was that it was used and easily the best 400 USD bass in store.

everyone has their own opinion... and thats mine... but i know there is better ibanez then schecter's but i think with schecter you get more for the money... but thats just my opinion

never buy a squier!
that's a fair opinion... I guess. I apologize for being an asshole. sorry Whylater, it's too hard for me. I can't be an ass like you.

though I must ask... have you played every Ibanez and Schecter ever made? because I've played some pretty amazing Ibanez.

but I wish I could play every one ever made.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
i have played a 700$ ibanez and a 500$ schecter side by side and the ibanez had a thin neck and was easy to play but the schecter had better sound... and my laguna was better than both of them laguna ocean tb75 is the best bass for the price IMO.

the humanity i have never played all the ibanez basses or all the schecter but ive like schecter more. but my opinion was a little to strong... i cant be a asshole either

never buy a squier!
I'll be sure to try out some Ibanez and Schecter. If either of them top the Spector, I'll be sure to post. The Boss Bass Distortion looks like the most attractive choice in the distortion department, now to find some other pedals to try out. I may go for a synth at some point soon too.