I pretty much hate metal. There are a few exceptions to this. I like a bit of Black Sabbath, Scarified, Primus and Rage Against the Machine (if you can call those two metal). It seems as though the UG community is in love with metal overall, but I don't see anything in it.

I pretty much only listen to classical music, but hey, some people compare metal and classical.

Do you people care to explain why it's so great?
No
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
listen to "Fade To Black" by Metallica, see if you like it.

(it is not really heavy but it is still metal)
Don't Do It! Don't Listen To Metal!
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
Quote by RounderIII
Don't....

Silence '08er

Metal is enjoyed for the sheer aggression in a lot of it, which explains why it's fanbase is mostly young males. Metal and Classical are compared because Metal is heavily influenced by Classical music in terms of scales and note intervals in some cases. (Like Tritones, as used in Rite of Spring) I enjoy both but I can understand why a Metal fan can love Classical but not vice versa.

EDIT: Something for you to try out would be Symphonic Metal. I really enjoy Mother of Light by Epica. It has Opera-esque vocals with some screaming, a Metal style for the band and an orchestra.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Last edited by BladeSlinger at Aug 20, 2008,
Quote by Shackman10
I pretty much only listen to classical music

You need to be a little more open minded, that might help out. I listen to everything from orchestral to blues to classic rock to hard rock to metal.
You either get metal or you don't I think, there's no explaining why metal is good to listen to, it's music it doesn't really need explanation if you like it you like it. Listen to Iron Maiden that's good starter metal.
No

there is no reason to try to convince someone why their favorite genre is better or more listenable

or anything.

If you dont like metal, then you dont like metal.

I say keep giving different bands chances and see if maybe something strikes you right.

If not, enjoy your Mozart, Haydn and York
Quote by sluffinator
Yeh this guy knows his ****... just listen to him XD

Quote by ScreamingCheeto
NaivexLi is anything but naive. His post was a pretty good source of info.

Thanks

Quote by MightyAl

Pro tip, kids - girls are NOT impressed by your blood.
If you don't like Metal, don't listen. If you force yourself you'll just end up like all the other posers...
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
power, you can feel the energy and power in the music (of course not all music) but listen to "clenching the fists of dissent" by machine head and youll see. the screaming or growling (well not particularly in this song) may take some getting used to
im not going to convince you to do anything
you have your own life and own opinions that nobody cares about. which i hope is ending very soon due to your lack of brains.
besides even if we did try to convince you ,your just going to get a cheap laugh out of it and try and start some **** which you are mentally dumber than our president if he was sodomized for trying to start arguments on the internet.
thank you and **** off
Quote by Shackman10
I pretty much hate metal. There are a few exceptions to this. I like a bit of Black Sabbath, Scarified, Primus and Rage Against the Machine (if you can call those two metal). It seems as though the UG community is in love with metal overall, but I don't see anything in it.

I pretty much only listen to classical music, but hey, some people compare metal and classical.

Do you people care to explain why it's so great?

Depends on what genre, really.

If you like classical, probably an excellent place to start would be watching some of Metallica's S&M (that's Symphony & Metallica - played with the San Francisco Symphony Orchestra in the late 90's) on Youtube. Like that, you might be tempted to listen to the original stuff and get in it that way.

Iron Maiden, also very good to get into Metal.

Here's some choice videos from S&M

Probably best to start with the least metal song from Metallica - Nothing Else Matters
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erPnyi90cIc

And then their most iconic - Master of Puppets
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2Bg3tLUlJk

Awesome \m/
I am being open minded - I'm trying to see what's there to like about it and asking the people who know best.