I have been playing for 3 months now and i'm getting bored of playing songs and would like to write a blues song. I have learnt a bit of theory about writing in keys and what chords work together and chord progressions.

Questions:
1.Im make the key of the song in Am and I'm going to use 12 bar blues (Am,Dm,Emaj) should i use dominant 7th chords for any of them?
2.What scale should i use to solo in?
3.should i learn the scale all over the neck or just in box position to keep it simple?
4.any idea on how to fit the lyrics to the chords?
5.suggest a strumming patern?

p.s
incase you need to know i know the pentatonic minor,blues,major(Ionian) scales but only in basic box position.

Thanks a lot for your answers.
Alright,

1. You could use a dominant for the E chord, definitely. For D possibly, opens up a new set of notes.
2. Minor Pentatonic, Blues, minor scale with a Dm chord, Dorian mode for a D7 chord, harmonic minor over E7 if you feel crazy.
3. Start by trying to phrase in one position then expand to different scale patterns.
4. A common blues 12-bar lyric pattern is to sing for the first 2 bars on the first 4 measures, repeat that phrase for the second 4 bars and then answer the lyric line in the last four bars.
5. Maybe a semi-Latin feel like B.B. King's 'The Thrill Is Gone'?

Good luck
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~ Storm Stenvold
~ http://www.guitarteacher.com
~ See It, Hear It, Play It!
~ Free Video Guitar Lessons, Jam Tracks + More!
Quote by firstnamestorm
Alright,

4. A common blues 12-bar lyric pattern is to sing for the first 2 bars on the first 4 measures, repeat that phrase for the second 4 bars and then answer the lyric line in the last four bars.

Good luck

is hey joe by jimi hendrix an example of this answer???
Yes, over a pop chord progression. But 12 bars, same timing. Cool example. Not one that would have come to mind immediately.
~ Storm Stenvold
~ http://www.guitarteacher.com
~ See It, Hear It, Play It!
~ Free Video Guitar Lessons, Jam Tracks + More!
Quote by firstnamestorm
Yes, over a pop chord progression. But 12 bars, same timing. Cool example. Not one that would have come to mind immediately.

Thanks

Also another question
Should i make a little intro riff to make the song not too boring
And
Should i use the blues scale or pentatonic minor scale??
Should i make a little intro riff to make the song not too boring
And
Should i use the blues scale or pentatonic minor scale??
Stop bumping your thread so much. People aren't answering becuase the question is extremely open-ended.

The answer to all of your questions is basically "do whatever you want to, I"m not the one writing the song, you are."
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
The blues scale IS the minor pentatonic, with a note added in. So use both if you can. If it's a sad blues song, play the Blue Hexatonic scale I call it, which is the penatonic with 2 notes added. I'll get the tab for the hexatonic in a second, and the other two if you need it.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by Lil Macker
The blues scale IS the minor pentatonic, with a note added in. So use both if you can. If it's a sad blues song, play the Blue Hexatonic scale I call it, which is the penatonic with 2 notes added. I'll get the tab for the hexatonic in a second, and the other two if you need it.

i already know the blues and minor pentatonic so you dont need to get the tab
but please get that hexatonic one thanks(also whats the real name of the scale?)
You should probably have posted this in Musician Talk, seeing as they'd be more likely to answer there.

All I can say is the lamest thing possible. Good luck.

P.S.

Play with all your soul, and don't ask us to "make the song" for you. You should just play it/write it and that's that. It's yours, so make it what you want.
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
You should probably have posted this in Musician Talk, seeing as they'd be more likely to answer there.

All I can say is the lamest thing possible. Good luck.

P.S.

Play with all your soul, and don't ask us to "make the song" for you. You should just play it/write it and that's that. It's yours, so make it what you want.

Why is it lame?
Quote by daveswhippy
i already know the blues and minor pentatonic so you dont need to get the tab
but please get that hexatonic one thanks(also whats the real name of the scale?)

The hexatonic is the real name for it, I just add the blues notes to it and call it the Blue Hexatonic, so don't worry about it

---------------------------5-8----------
-----------------------5-8--------------
----------------4-5-7---------------------
------------5-7------------------------
-------5-7----------------------------
5-7-8-----------------------------------

There it is!

---------------------------5-8----------
-----------------------5-8--------------
----------------4-5-7-8--------------------
------------5-7------------------------
-------5-6-7----------------------------
5-7-8-----------------------------------

There's the Blue Hexatonic for ya, cause I'm smoooooth
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by daveswhippy
thanks a lot lilmacker

That's why I'm here

I'm writing another blues song just now, so I do like to help people learning how, even though I still am myself.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by Lil Macker
That's why I'm here

I'm writing another blues song just now, so I do like to help people learning how, even though I still am myself.

lol
u got any videos on youtube?