...why I'm asking the pit..? ah well.

I wanted to know what do you guys think about taking 1 AP class and 2 honors class.

Would that give you a better chance into getting a better college? What's more important. Doing really well on your SAT, or doing a bit below average on the SAT but having an AP class.
Depends on the kind of colleges you are applying to. In general, the more you do, the better.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Sat is honestly the most important thing.

But regardless of how you do in an Ap class, you look much better making the effort.
Quote by nexteyenate
+1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

leftybassdude's opinion is superior to anyone else's

Member of The Weakerthans Fan Club
PM TechnicolorBoy or maybe_I_am to join
At my high school, honors classes were nothing. Most of the AP students take two or three AP classes, and another honors class.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Getting into a good school is not hard at all in the US, if you score well on your test you'll be able to attend most any school. Getting money to pay for that school is another story.

The three hours you spend taking the SAT or ACT test is more important than the four years of classes you take, so plan accordingly. The extra classes won't be worth anything if you score below average on the SAT.
Umm. . .ACT is way more important than SAT. Well, I guess it depends on the college, but most colleges REQUIRE the ACT.

I'm taking 4 AP classes and two honors this year; I'll take 11 AP classes by the time I graduate. It's worth the time if you can pass the final exam, especially if you get a 5. I'll be a sophomore my first year of college, since I'll have so many credit hours.

It also depends on where you want to go or if you're looking for a scholarship, etc. . .
3.5 GPA and around 1200-1300 combined SAT scores will get you into any decent school you want. Unless you aim for an Ivy League school. If you want to go to a normal state college, AP classes and honors aren't worth the effort.
Quote by Kensai
I know a good joke:

Women's rights.
Quote by Chubbychunks
I know a good joke:

Kensai's life.
i took 3 APs last year, and honestly none of them were very difficult, except for calc cause i suck at math

i would say take as many APs as you think you can handle, cause they obviously wont hurt your chances of getting into good schools and you can get credits so you dont have to take as many classes in college
▲I had a friend once
►He took some acid
▼Now he thinks he's a fire engine
AP is better. but really, having an AP class won't affect your SAT scores... that just doesn't make sense

EDIT: After reviewing posts I'm shocked, trust me a GOOD New England college would rather see hard classes than an SAT score. but I guess it depends on where you live. I'd say most New England colleges are the standard, but if you're going to a school of 40,000 students somewhere in the south just to see their football team play... fuck classes AND test scores, you don't need either.

/elitist
Quote by spazzymagee417
i would pay more for a midget corpse than an average size corpse
Last edited by Tedrick at Aug 20, 2008,
Do you highschool's requiere service hours? Will that help too? I already have 80 something and plan on getting the brights future scholar. Also one of my teachers said that If i take another tech class, and maintain my gpa above 3.0, I get a 75% scholarship
Quote by esp1234
Do you highschool's requiere service hours? Will that help too? I already have 80 something and plan on getting the brights future scholar. Also one of my teachers said that If i take another tech class, and maintain my gpa above 3.0, I get a 75% scholarship

anything you can put on college applications looks good. if you dont have to volunteer, dont worry about it, but if you can i guess you might as well because it'll be another thing to sell to colleges. if you dont do many extra curricular stuff or sports, id say service hours are a major plus

i had to do 100 hours before i graduated, and i definately needed them to beef up my applications cause the only extra thing i really did was ice hockey
▲I had a friend once
►He took some acid
▼Now he thinks he's a fire engine
Yeah, service really helps. And I think ACT & SAT scores are less important than class rank, GPA, and the difficulty of the classes you took. I think the AP classes really make a big impression, especially if you get a 3 or above on the test.
neither. get into as many as possible AFTERSCHOOL ACTIVITIES!!! surprisingly thats wat colleges look at more. its crazy but true.
The Best Floyd Rose Is A Setup Floyd Rose!

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
03 B.C. Rich NJ Warlock Speedloader
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
A challenging high school course record is much more vital in the admissions process than standardized test scores are. SAT scores do matter, but for the most part, American schools are looking for what you DID in high school, academically and outside of the classroom.
This year im taking
Ap english
AP stats
AP Gov and Economics
Ap Human geo
Ap enviornmental science
Ap german
then 2 choirs.

My highschool, most people take 2 everyyear after sophmore year,

But Im a huge nerd...
Quote by boardsofcanada
^^

<_<
~Bass'-play-er.

The #1 member of the club that isn't terribly predjudiced against emo. Get over yourselves.
PM me, or just say # x
And part of Fortysix and twos Defenders of Emo club.

" Zach_F I love you for that."
SAT is more important I believe. AP is more for yourself...
Quote by FrenchyFungus
Hey y'all!!! Me and my friend were over at her house. I we were wonder what guys think when they see a hot girl at the mall or whatever walk by. (We're both pretty as y'all would say "blonde" sometimes).

Quote by rabidguitarist
I just look like some homo.
Quote by CrossBack7
Umm. . .ACT is way more important than SAT. Well, I guess it depends on the college, but most colleges REQUIRE the ACT.

I'm taking 4 AP classes and two honors this year; I'll take 11 AP classes by the time I graduate. It's worth the time if you can pass the final exam, especially if you get a 5. I'll be a sophomore my first year of college, since I'll have so many credit hours.

It also depends on where you want to go or if you're looking for a scholarship, etc. . .

If ur talking about the US, ur talking out of your ass.

The ACT and SAT are two completely different KINDS of test. One tests learning ability and the other is what uve already learned.
Quote by kaosfire

The ACT and SAT are two completely different KINDS of test. One tests learning ability and the other is what uve already learned.

That's what you get from a guy with a Sum 41 avatar.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by dullsilver_mike
Getting into a good school is not hard at all in the US, if you score well on your test you'll be able to attend most any school. Getting money to pay for that school is another story.

The three hours you spend taking the SAT or ACT test is more important than the four years of classes you take, so plan accordingly. The extra classes won't be worth anything if you score below average on the SAT.

it was a over 6 hour test...
Dick+strings= owww
Quote by kaosfire

Quote by CrossBack

Hmm... yess the two tests are completely different.

Also, no college requires ONLY the ACT. Most colleges require the ACT or the SAT. So... neither is more important. Basically, you take the test that you are more likely to score the better score on. Either way, the tests are only 1 benchmark among many that colleges look at to determine applicable status.

Schools look for these things(no order, all are definitely important):

-Sat OR Act score
-Your Personal Essay
-How challenging your highschool curriculum/classes were(Ap or Honors, yes/no)
-How well you did(GPA)
-Other activities
-Leadership/Community Service
Quote by kgesme21

Quote by Hsupernova

Oh yeah, and if guitar hero got you into the guitar? you're really playing for the wrong reasons.

there is no wrong reason to play a guitar, except for world enslavement and extermination of certain races, but those guys never make it big anyway.
Yeah I had a feeling the ACT was a different test then the SAT. I heard that ACT is easier, but you need to score higher?

and Wow is this the smartside of the pit?
The way I balance my schedule is this:

1 or 2 AP's depending on when they're offered and what they're offering. (normally two AP's)
1 or 2 Honors depending on what AP I'm taking. If I'm taking two AP's they are either English or History or both.
One standard math class.
1 slacker class. Usually Band, but my freshy year I took computer apps which was another easy A
And a language.
And another fun class.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Quote by esp1234
Wow is this the smartside of the pit?

no, its the same pit just PRETENDING to be smart
The Best Floyd Rose Is A Setup Floyd Rose!

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
03 B.C. Rich NJ Warlock Speedloader
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
Quote by CrossBack7

Location has a lot to do with which test they care about (SAT or ACT).

It really depends on the school. Some say **** the standardized testing, what are your grades? Were you challenging yourself? But in regards to AP classes a lot of colleges look at it in terms of what were you offered, and did you take advantage of it. Like if your school didn't offer AP classes, they generally wouldn't let that affect the decision. But if your school had a decent amount of AP classes and you took none of them, thats different.
"Imagine all the people, sharing all the world"
-John Lennon
doing well on your SAT is most important
Quote by musicjunkie207
The time I fell on my face on a trampoline and cracked my neck, then proceded to run around the yard in a blind panic screaming "I hope I'm not paralyzed! OH GOD I THINK I'M PARALYZED!"

Ap look good on applications and where i am they are worth 6 QPA points for an a which really brings up your class rank
Quote by fretsonfire74
Pickup line: Hi, you'll do.
Break up: I don't like you anymore.

Quote by Rasta Dogg
I'm freakin' out here, maaaaaan
Quote by metaldud536
Send out your weakest pokemon first then switch to a stronger one to share experience points.
If it makes you feel better, I'm taking 2 AP courses, 2 honors courses, and one regular.
AP US History, AP Music Theory, Honors Pre-calc, Honors Physics, and Regular English, so no matter what you do, know that there is someone out there with more work than you.
Call me Jack.
All that you love...
...you must love now.
My Gear:
PRS Custom 24
Standard MIM Tele
Larrivée LV-09E
Rivera Clubster 45 112 Combo Tube
Boss ME-20 Multi-effects pedal
Boss OC-3 Super octave pedal
My own home-made octave-up pedal
basically if you make good enough on your act/sat thats all they'll really worry about. but if you dont do so hot on those tests they'll go back and look at your GPA, and class schedule. of course, if you fail everything then it'll be tough to do it even with good test scores
you can usually just up front ask the specific college what they look at when taking applications. But in terms of the kind of high school courses you take, doing decent in AP/Honors courses is better than doing well in regular courses.
Bring snacks for the SAT. It really is that long. It's physically draining.
Quote by FrenchyFungus
Hey y'all!!! Me and my friend were over at her house. I we were wonder what guys think when they see a hot girl at the mall or whatever walk by. (We're both pretty as y'all would say "blonde" sometimes).

Quote by rabidguitarist
I just look like some homo.