I'm putting this in the Bandleading thread because I want some other bandleader's opinions on this.

I've suffered with RSI for several years, well before I started playing music. More recently I've had several very painful episodes of this more recently.

The only problem comes with my band commitments. I am currently running between three bands, including my own band and my church worship band and uni band.

With the risk that I need surgery becoming increasingly likely, I am considering two options.

1) Quitting all bands until I am fit to play properly again. This would mean I was completely free of any band commitments but would leave three bands without a bass player and would mean I would have to start all over again in getting back into the bands.

2) Asking for extended leave. This would leave my position open but it woiuld mean I would still have to participate in the more administrative stuff still and I could fall behind in terms of new songs. I also don't know how long I'm I'm going to be off for.

So, any ideas? What do you think is the best?
Personally Id ask for an extended leave so you can get the surgery if it comes to that so that way when your recovered you can just jump right back into the game so you wont have to search for other bands.
Quote by metalcore123
I hate trying to cover up my cheese in school because the bimbo next to me dislikes the smell of pure love.

I'm bringing farts back!
dude if ur sick and playin is causing you severe pain you should stop and get it sorted

i say stick with them on the sidelines and act as a manager or wateva
sacrificial beaver of the laney cult

~Gear~

Schecter C-7 Hellraiser
ESP LTD F-2005
Laney VH100R *with free cab*
Roland Cube 60
Cort Acoustic
Your best bet is probably to get it checked out, determine when you may need surgery and then make a decision. But if surgery looks like it's coming soon, I'd just quit altogether, have the surgery, and then come back. If not then just take your leave and grind out what little playing time you get. Either way you're going to fall behind a bit
Studies have shown that 92% of guitar players are close-minded. Copy this into your signature if you're part of the 8% who enjoy rap.
Quote by Infamou$17
Your best bet is probably to get it checked out, determine when you may need surgery and then make a decision. But if surgery looks like it's coming soon, I'd just quit altogether, have the surgery, and then come back. If not then just take your leave and grind out what little playing time you get. Either way you're going to fall behind a bit

I must add that a doctor has already seen me about this and is pretty sure that, based on my case history, physio will only do so much.

The urgency comes because my band contract expires at the end of the month and if I do sign a new one, I'm committed to play a certain number of gigs then.
First off, sorry about your predicament, I've been in a similar one and it sucks.
Yeah, ask for extended leave and take whatever steps you need in order to get well, after all, a sick musician isn't much use to a band, but if the surgery doesn't work for some reason, or if your recovery is gonna take months and months rather than a few weeks, it may be worth thinking about quitting rather than holding someone else back.

EDIT.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht

The urgency comes because my band contract expires at the end of the month and if I do sign a new one, I'm committed to play a certain number of gigs then.

Hmmm, that complicates matters slightly, I'd say that if you have a known medical condition, and you sign a new contract agreeing to play a cirtain number of gigs knowing that your health is a little patchy and that you might not be able to do them all, you may actualy find yourself in breach of contract.

Have you thought about an understudy?
You could take on a student, teach him all your parts in case you need to drop out for a while and sign the new contract with a slight ammendment that if you can't make it, your understudy will.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Aug 21, 2008,
I'm gonna agree with everyone else here and say take the extended leave, but only if it's not going to be for too long. Like SlackerBabbath said if you're gonna be off for a very long time it's better that you quit and let them get someone else so they can keep playing rather than holding the whole band.

And yeah, that sucks a lot man. I hope you get better quick.
sig goes here