I'm looking to revamp my recording setup. Right now I use an HP desktop (old) for my hardware. For guitars I have 2 Behringer Vamp units, one for guitar and one for bass. I have an Alesis Sr15 drum machine, and they all go into a 4track Yamaha mixer. Audacity is the program I've been using.

I plan on moving soon, but I need to upgrade my computer regardless. I'd like to get a laptop. Obviously laptops aren't as good as desktops, but any new laptop is heads and tails above the computer I use now.

In what aspects are desktops better than laptops for recording?

I would also like to consolidate the outboard stuff I use, i.e. is there a device that would be like the Vamps (poor man's POD) I use but would have modeling for electric, acoustic, and bass guitars? I'd like them in one unit if possible. The drum machine isn't too prudent, but if it had a feature for that, even better. Maybe an M-audio black box?

The only reason I'm thinking of a laptop is so I'll have less to move when I do. Any help you guys can be is great!
...because the last thing the world needs is another metal guitarist.

Me.

My band.

I like Fall Out Boy. I don't like you.
Desktops = better specs for less cash, easier to upgrade/modify

Laptops = portable, good specs are affordable these days

What's your budget?
Not really sure what my budget is yet. I'm hoping to find a good deal around the holidays, as stores where I live tend to have some sales. What is a good price range? $400-500?

Me.

My band.

You're probably going to wanna get a desktop
Cheaper, easier to upgrade, better speakers, less chance of overheating and having harddrive failure.
I would prefer a desktop, but a laptop will answer most of my computer needs especially since I plan on traveling a lot in this next year with the move and everything.

HP, Compaq?

Me.

My band.

you would be best to go with a Macbook and external 7200rpm HDD

However a business laptop (not HP!) maybe 3-4gb dualcore 2.4Ghz, 300GB RAM, 7200rpm external hardrive (USB/Firewire etc) for loading samples and generally keeping cpu from too much work. Cooling would be preferable, and possibly a solid state hard drive depending on your budget.

Desktops dont work as well when they are moved around from gig to gig. Ive tried it and it seems to malfunction more.
Lol, I would definitely prefer Windows, as I've never even been in the same room as a computer with any other OS.

Me.

My band.

The problem with laptops and recording is that the hard drives are generally 5400 rpm - a choice made to help preserve battery life. For audio, this means fewer simultaneous tracks of record/playback. Significantly fewer.

+1 on the solid state drive. Good call. I don't know how true it is, but I have heard that SS drives are even faster than 7200rpm disks. 7200rpm with Firewire would do it too. I don't think a USB drive would provide enough bandwidth to make the 7200rpm worthwhile. Sure, it will spin fast enough for seeking and stuff, but if it can't actually deliver all 24 tracks of audio or whatever all at the same time, then you're short-changing yourself.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Well, solid state drives at the moment cost tons of money (at least $/GB), and their performance so far is on par, not beyond, that of 7200rpm laptop drives. As for getting a 5400rpm drive...it's not the end of the world, as upgrading isn't too expensive and isn't too big of a deal, as long as you're willing to spend an afternoon (add an evening if it's your first time) installing the OS and getting it up to date.

With $500 you'll barely get an introductory laptop, and Apple's out of the question. Go desktop please...

As for modelling amps...do you have plans on doing stuff live? It may be better to get an external piece of kit like the Line6's X3 line which can handle bass and guitar, but can produce the sounds on its own.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
Last edited by Fast_Fingers at Aug 21, 2008,
Damn...I knew laptops weren't ideal for recording. A laptop would offer everything I need in a new computer plus the mobility.

The modeling stuff is only so I wouldn't have a whole lot of stuff to lug. Right now my Vamps are 2 separate rack units, I would like to consolidate.

So basically a laptop is kind of a sidestep from what I'm using now, not a step up? The bottom line is I have to upgrade my computer.

Me.

My band.

You're right. A good idea is to get a good soundcard which can take the outputs of your VAMPs and SR-15, and will make your life smoother. I recommend the M Audio Delta 44. An alternative is spending part of the $500 on a X3 Pod (or XT Live) as those can work with basses and guitars, and can be used onstage should you go live (either run off a PA or get a Tech21 Power Engine).
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101