So yesterday, I was at my dad's house and we went to this used books store and got a few books. I picked up the following...

Walden- Henry David Thoreau
Man's Search for Meaning- Viktor Frankl
Brave New World- Aldous Huxley
Point Counter Point- Aldous Huxley
The Essays of Elia- Charles Lamb
Evan Harrington- (I'm not sure of the author, or if Harrington is the author)
David Copperfield- Charles Dickens

I picked up the last four just because they were dirt cheap and really old. I figure I'll read them and maybe get a resale.

So for those of you who have read these books, what would you rate them as, or what did you think of them? I'm reading Man's Search for Meaning and I dig it. My dad told me to get that one, because I was interested in existentialism for a while.
Last edited by guitarkid2113 at Aug 20, 2008,
im actually reading point counter point right now.

Aldous huxley is the ****ing man
Quote by nexteyenate
+1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

leftybassdude's opinion is superior to anyone else's

Member of The Weakerthans Fan Club
PM TechnicolorBoy or maybe_I_am to join
Walden- Henry David Thoreau

Reading it now as a penance for not reading it in high school. Avoid.

Man's Search for Meaning- Viktor Frankl

Haven't read.

Brave New World- Aldous Huxley

If you haven't read it, do so immediately.

Point Counter Point- Aldous Huxley

Again, Huxley can do no wrong.

The Essays of Elia- Charles Lamb

No clue.

Evan Harrington- (I'm not sure of the author, or if Harrington is the author)

Haven't read.

David Copperfield- Charles Dickens

Worth a look, but there's better Dickens out there.
Thoreau, Huxley, and Dickens are all very good authors. Haven't read enough by the others.
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Huxley's great and so is Dickens. Have fun reading!

P.S. I'm a womanfolk! : )
sraeb

Quote by Trefellin
Show me your erection or gtfo... please.
Out of those, I've only read Brave New World
Brian Eno fans unite!

Quote by BrianApocalypse
I recently had a dream that my dad died and my mum spent the life insurance payout on a new Indian dad, who told me to convert to Judaism, even though people usually change religion in September.
How old is your David Copperfield? I was at a used book store in Boston last week and found an old copy of Pickwick Papers and it turned out that it was printed in 1947 and it's in almost mint condition. It'll be cool if I still have it in 40 years, so I can celebrate it's hundredth anniversary aha
founding member of the Bill Bailey fan club (assuming there isn't already one)

proudly not an overly proud vegetarian
i have to read brave new world for school but i havent started it yet....does that count?
'
Quote by loganrocksabass

how can your girlfriend be in your band if she's in the kitchen?
Quote by dingmydong
How old is your David Copperfield? I was at a used book store in Boston last week and found an old copy of Pickwick Papers and it turned out that it was printed in 1947 and it's in almost mint condition. It'll be cool if I still have it in 40 years, so I can celebrate it's hundredth anniversary aha

Well, it doesn't have a copyright in it, but I'd assume it's quite old cause it's hardcover and it just seems old...you can tell. I picked them up for about 50 cents each (US) so I thought it would be a good idea to pick those up. Essays of Elia is from 1911, and it's got Charles Lamb's portrait on the inside of it.
On my floor currently are the following:

A history of Impressionism
The darkling thrush, and other poems
Turner
Klimt
and two books on Schiele.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
I got happy books, yo.
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
Haven't read any of those, but I like Dickens a lot. Thorough ha pretty good reads too...

I love used book stores, great stuff dirt cheap, you can spend like 20-30 bucks and get 7-8 books.
I'm currently reading A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce and Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs. The latter is hilarious, a great social and pop culture satire.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
Last edited by FoolOnThePlanet at Aug 21, 2008,
I'm reading Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert M. Pirsig.
I suggest you check it out. Hard book to find tho
Quote by FoolOnThePlanet
Haven't read any of those, but I like Dickens a lot. Thorough ha pretty good reads too...

I love used book stores, great stuff dirt cheap, you can spend like 20-30 bucks and get 7-8 books.
I'm currently reading A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce and Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs. The latter is hilarious, a great social and pop culture satire.

Yeah, they are pretty sweet. I got all of those for a sum of 4$ US. So kinda like 2$ Euro? I think?

But I used to use Amazon.com a lot, and I just purchased Sometimes A Great Notion, Howl, and Slaughterhouse Five for 35$. I'm never making that mistake again... used all the way.

I looked on amazon.com for Essays of Elia and Evan Harrington, and they were both around 15$.