I am looking a while into the future about my next guitar. I am wanting a really nice guitar with a Floyd Rose.

Steve Vai is my favorite guitarist, and I am really getting into shred.

I need:

Comfortable body
A Floyd Rose
Versatility
Shredability (my new word )

I am looking at various Ibanez models, and I am also looking at a Jackson SL1.

If I was wanting to go all out, I was also looking at an Ibanez JEM7 in white

What's you're opinions on them?

Also, are there others you can recommend?

I've heard alot about Jackson's bad quality since the Fender buy out.

I don't have a predetermined budget, but I don't wanna spend an obscene amount of money either...

oh, and... I DON'T WANT ACTIVE PICKUPS!!
The RG Prestige range is pretty hard to beat. I wouldn't bother with the JEM, they're nice guitars, but you can get better for the money. The Vai name adds a fair bit to the pricetag.

If I were you though, I'd look out for a used RG550, 565, or 770, and upgrade the pickups. Excellent workhorse guitars built for shred, and you'd save a bunch by going used.
Quote by DoubleyouW
http://ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/electric_guitars/ibanez/rg350ex/index.html

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/profile_mojo_data/3/8/9/5/389557/pics/_c260946_image_0.jpg

i was looking around for an ibanez gio series guitar, found this one, tried it out, and found it to be pretty good. im a noob guitarist but i still think its alright =)

I already have an RG in that price range though. I am looking for a really high quality instrument to use for many years.
Comfortable body - Depends on you, they're mostly equal.
A Floyd Rose - I'd take the Jackson's trem over the Ibanez.
Versatility - Probably the Ibanez.
Shredability - Depends on what you like, I find the Jackson more shredable.

===

A few of the products were cut (Like mid-range Kellys and a nice King V), but the quality in the past couple years has gone up. Way up.

A few of the products were cut (Like mid-range Kellys and a nice King V), but the quality in the past couple years has gone up. Way up.
Quote by Vlasco

I disagree, unless it has an Edge Zero (which I haven't used yet).

EDIT: +1 to Nolly.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
My guitar teacher has an original RG770. That thing is awesome sounding.

I was looking at an S prestige model, and an RG prestige model.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-S2170FW-S-Prestige-Series-Electric-Guitar-with-Poplar-Burl-Top?sku=514214

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-Prestige-Series-RG2550Z-Electric-Guitar?sku=515738

Those two look promising. What do you guys think?

and how does that compare to the Jackson?
Quote by Vlasco
Comfortable body - Depends on you, they're mostly equal.
Versatility - Probably the Ibanez.
Shredability - Depends on what you like, I find the Jackson more shredable.

Have u played a soloist? They can do practically any genre
Quote by ironman1478
Have u played a soloist? They can do practically any genre

So can any guitar, I just think that Ibanezes do that better. Maybe I just like the thicker sound of Dimarzios. In my choice of the two I'd take the Soloist and put a D Sonic in the bridge.
I would personally choose an S over and RG. I've played a bunch of RGs and they did not really interest me, the S I played on the other hand was magnificent. Comfortable, light, easy to play, and very versatile.
I've been in the exactly same situation as you. Wanting a JEM badly but are unsure if Im willing to pay that much. Love Steve Vai and the way he plays. Yeah, so basically I've been looking for the exact thing as you and the ones I came up with, been recommended here at UG are.

Ibanez RG2550 Prestige
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-Prestige-Series-RG2550Z-Electric-Guitar?sku=515738

Jackson DM2K
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Jackson-DK2M-Dinky-Electric-Guitar?sku=517588

Schecther Hellraiser C1 FR
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-Hellraiser-C1-FR-Electric-Guitar?sku=513134

But just like you are I'm interested in the Ibanez so when I'll buy my guitar I will most probably end up with the RG2550 Presitge. High quality guitar, awesome looks and plays like a dream (imo).
In the Prestige RG range, go for an RGT as a thru neck is fantastic and at a similar price to the Jem you can get the RGT320Z with the newest version of the Edge Zero trem. It seems to me that this is much better value than the Jem. The Soloist is good but I just don't think you can beat a Prestige Ibanez.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Quote by Doadman
The Soloist is good but I just don't think you can beat a Prestige Ibanez.

Christ, why is everybody so pro- prestige. Ive owned a RG1570 Prestige, and compared to my SL2H that was without exagerating a BAD guitar. Jackson built quality, feel, playability AND ESPECIALLY tone is way better. And JEM's are nothing else than ugly, highly overpriced RG prestiges with real dimarzios.

I just want to warn the TS for all the ibanez fanboys here who probably never played a soloist. TS: go test a prestige, and go test a soloist. Then make up your mind. I promiss you that you will clearly see which is the better guitar.
If you want an ibanez that is comparable to the soloist, and maybe a bit better, you will have to get a J-Custom. RG's or S ibbiz, they are no match.

Also: dont believe that 'quality is down after fender took over' mambo jambo, because its not true. I have a PRE-fender soloist, and ive played 2 fender-soloists and 1 fender-RR1, and i must say: built quality is the same, feel is the same, tone is the same.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Last edited by LP_CL at Aug 21, 2008,
thank god someone who isn't an ibanez fanboi posted in here.

i was weighing up the pros and cons of rg's and dinky/soloists before i bought my two dinkys. imo ibanezs feel factory built - almost toy-like (even the high end ones), it's quite hard to describe.

comparing an rg prestige to a usa built jackson is moronic. the latter is the clear winner.
UUggghhhhhhhh....!!!!!!!!!!!!

You have to learn. In this price range, there (Should) be no inherent flaws in a guitar. You shouldn't never, EVER put this much money into any guitar without trying it first. And dont limit yourself to trying just these two guitars. Play every single guitar you can in the price range, then pick the one you like best.

People can not give you much advise on this topic. high end prestige is great. USA jackson is great. It'll come down to what YOU like.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
^I can only agree with that. Taste differs. Nobody knows what you like.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by haz_uk
thank god someone who isn't an ibanez fanboi posted in here.

i was weighing up the pros and cons of rg's and dinky/soloists before i bought my two dinkys. imo ibanezs feel factory built - almost toy-like (even the high end ones), it's quite hard to describe.

comparing an rg prestige to a usa built jackson is moronic. the latter is the clear winner.

+1
Quote by LP_CL
Christ, why is everybody so pro- prestige. Ive owned a RG1570 Prestige, and compared to my SL2H that was without exagerating a BAD guitar. Jackson built quality, feel, playability AND ESPECIALLY tone is way better. And JEM's are nothing else than ugly, highly overpriced RG prestiges with real dimarzios.

I just want to warn the TS for all the ibanez fanboys here who probably never played a soloist. TS: go test a prestige, and go test a soloist. Then make up your mind. I promiss you that you will clearly see which is the better guitar.
If you want an ibanez that is comparable to the soloist, and maybe a bit better, you will have to get a J-Custom. RG's or S ibbiz, they are no match.

Also: dont believe that 'quality is down after fender took over' mambo jambo, because its not true. I have a PRE-fender soloist, and ive played 2 fender-soloists and 1 fender-RR1, and i must say: built quality is the same, feel is the same, tone is the same.

+1
Jackson SL1's play nice, but I think they're a bit overpriced but this is usually what happens when you have "Made in USA" stamped on the headstock. You could try looking into the SL3's. Maybe one can argue the SL1 is better build quality but I think its hard to argue the thousand dollar price difference, usually twice as much as the Japanese SL3.

I would take a look at the SL3's too. They have a trans blue model that looks pretty awesome.
SL3 = 1150$
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Jackson-SL3-Soloist-Electric-Guitar?sku=512237
SL1 = 1800$
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Jackson-SL1-USA-Soloist-Electric-Guitar?sku=511466

difference: 650$

SL1 has/is:
- ebony fretboard
- MOP inlays
- Schaller OFR
- actual maple top instead of veneer
- overal better woods used
- better potentiometers, better wiring
- higher quality control
- better craftmanship
- totally worth the extra 650$
- is the real deal
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
^ The SL1 is 1800 if you get it in flat black.

The guitar shop near me had a trans red SL1 at 2k. I was really unimpressed when I played it. It still needed to be properly setup as the action was too high and neck bowed too much so the strings were too high on center. Only SL1 I've actually played, and not like it can't be fixed, but its the only Jackson I remember with such a crappy setup.

Actual maple top instead of veneer? I don't understand what you mean and I've never sanded down an SL1 to check. (joke) And I guess this only matters if you get a trans finish anyway?

The SL3 probably does have crap inlays.

Better potentiometers / wiring is kind of a silly thing to say.

If he wants the ebony fretboard he should probably go with the SL1.

SL whatever I still think its better than the Prestige.
I'd say the Jackson, Vai used to play Jacksons and Charvels until the late 80's when he made the JEM, so if you want the Original Vai, get a Jackson soloist.
Quote by decadence5423
^ The SL1 is 1800 if you get it in flat black.

The guitar shop near me had a trans red SL1 at 2k. I was really unimpressed when I played it. It still needed to be properly setup as the action was too high and neck bowed too much so the strings were too high on center. Only SL1 I've actually played, and not like it can't be fixed, but its the only Jackson I remember with such a crappy setup.

Actual maple top instead of veneer? I don't understand what you mean and I've never sanded down an SL1 to check. (joke) And I guess this only matters if you get a trans finish anyway?

The SL3 probably does have crap inlays.

Better potentiometers / wiring is kind of a silly thing to say.

If he wants the ebony fretboard he should probably go with the SL1.

SL whatever I still think its better than the Prestige.

Its a pitty that you judge a guitar based on a badly set up one. And what i mean with maple top instead of veneer is that the SL1 has a maple top that is 8 mm thick, instead of a maple veneer that is <0,1mm. That reflects on the sound. Indeed, you are right, only the trans finish has the maple top, which indeed costs 800$ more than the trans finished SL3.

Why is it 'silly to say' that the potmeters and the wiring is better in the SL1? The potmeters and the 5 way switch in the SL3 are cheaply 'made in china' parts, while the potmeters and switch in the SL1 consists of deicent USA made ones.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by .arkness:.
UUggghhhhhhhh....!!!!!!!!!!!!

You have to learn. In this price range, there (Should) be no inherent flaws in a guitar. You shouldn't never, EVER put this much money into any guitar without trying it first. And dont limit yourself to trying just these two guitars. Play every single guitar you can in the price range, then pick the one you like best.

People can not give you much advise on this topic. high end prestige is great. USA jackson is great. It'll come down to what YOU like.

I agree, though would like to make a note. USA Jackson are not the most consistent guitars in quality, with one of the main issues lately being misaligned trems, pickups, or the entire neck. So look for this VERY carefully. A good playing and well built one is great. The company handles the botched ones well for you, but then you need to wait.

The SL1 destroys the SL3, even if the SL3 is may be more consistent in quality and QC. A German Floyd is another plus, along with the MOP logo. Also includes the CTS pots and switches, which is better then the crap Jackson and other companies use in their imports. I swap pots/switches/Jacks in almost every guitar I get because of that, going to Switchcraft or CTS.

I played an Edge Whatever-It's Called-Now on a JS1200 at GC about a year back. Maybe the hardware finish left a bad taste in my mouth, but the whole thing just felt flimsy and cheap. You also need to hold your hand down a hair lower to palm mute than you would on a Floyd, and it's touchier, so that takes some getting used to. Maybe it was not well setup, but I thought it was a mediocre trem on an otherwise killer instrument.

Ibanez I think made better instruments 5-10 years ago than they do now... add another 5 years to that and it's the case of Jackson too. A used top-line model/custom can be had for the price of the new top-line models both make today, and they are often better built guitars with sometimes even better hardware imo, so that is something to think about.
Quote by LP_CL

I agree.

But why does everybody think Fender is ruining Jacksons build quality? It's not like they've demolished all the old factories and laid off all the workers and all that. Plus look look at the 2006 updated Pro series (RR3, Dinkies) Probly the best guitar any metal head\shredder can get without breaking the bank.
Does a Jackson SL1 have any hum from the single coils?

I am also looking at an SL2H soloist, because I prefer HH setups.

Right now I am leaning towards the Ibanez Prestige models though. They are amazing IMO.
My local shop has an RG550 in black, and they used to have an orange one. Both are great.

If I get any of these guitars, I will most likely perform a pickup change. I am looking at Dimarzio Evolutions. I love the clarity of Steve Vai's tone. Not to mention I've heard they amplify your mistakes because of the clarity. I think that would help me clean up my playing.
I played many Ibanez and many Jackson and for me, Jackson is the way to go. I'm buying my second Jackson next week.
Quote by Explorer125
Does a Jackson SL1 have any hum from the single coils?

I am also looking at an SL2H soloist, because I prefer HH setups.

Right now I am leaning towards the Ibanez Prestige models though. They are amazing IMO.
My local shop has an RG550 in black, and they used to have an orange one. Both are great.

If I get any of these guitars, I will most likely perform a pickup change. I am looking at Dimarzio Evolutions. I love the clarity of Steve Vai's tone. Not to mention I've heard they amplify your mistakes because of the clarity. I think that would help me clean up my playing.

The SL2H = SL1 with HH config. They both are USA soloists, with the same specs, except the pickups.

Definatly TRY a soloist, befor buying. As long as you didnt try one, you will keep being seduced by the RG's. But as someone already said: comparing RG's with USA built Jacksons IS moronic, because its a whole other league. Its clear that the Jackson is the winner in this battle, but they also cost more (except if you really want the way too overpriced JEM's).
A pickup change may be good for the RG's, because i'm not too keen on the IBZ dimarzio's. They are fine, but not great.
I have dimarzio's in my Music Man, and personally i prefer the Seymours in the Jackson, but thats all personal taste. So if you really want the dimarzio's: go ahead.
For the rest: Whatever guitar you buy, i know you will be happy with it, because they both are nice guitars. So dont let anything spoil that joy
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
I've got to say, whilst I'm quite a large Ibanez fan, given the day, I'd take a Soloist any day.

I myself own an S series Prestige and whilst I love this guitar, I still feel cheated in a way that I spent £900 on a guitar and Ibanez have the pure cheek not to put in real Dimarzio pickups. Luckily thoughI'm quite picky and would have probably swapped them for specifics anyway, but you see my point.

I've also played both pre and post-Fender SL1's, both of which are fine, I must say that the pre-Fender one (1991 I think?) however was personally my favourite of the two, the neck felt a bit more solid and the pickups had a bit more to them, it was obviously second hand though, so for all I know they could have been replaced.

If your options are between an SL1 and an Ibanez prestige, then you should be looking at something within the RGT Prestige line, neck-through, HH pickups (knocks away some of the variety of the Jackson), but O highly advise against not getting a Steve Vai model, basically overpriced RGs with a bit of a spruce up, as already said.
Funny words.
SL1 takes it here. Ive played the Jem. Its nothing special at all. And WAYYY overpriced.

This is coming from a longtime ibanez fanboy. Anyone whos been around these forums long enough knows that.

If you want to get an ibanez threadstarter, get an older one off ebay.

Look for a late 80s, early 90s RG 550,565,570,750,770, etc... You can find them anywhere from 250 to 600$.

Any of those will spank a new Jem and will be up to par with the SL1 minus the neckthru construction and pickups.
Quote by Vlasco

===

Man what are you talking about?Even if you buy the lowest price jackson available, you will still get high quality stuff.I bought a Jackson JS30 a year ago and now it's still like in the first day.No problems with it at all.Fender did not change the Jackson quality.

Comparing with the SL3,the SL1 is made in USA with better materials and it's got other specs than the SL3(witch are better ofc):A Double-Locking 2 Point ORIGINAL Floyd Rose Tremolo System,ebony fingerboard, Die-cast tuners (the sl3 has sealed die cast tuners), 2 different pick-ups.
http://www.jacksonguitars.com/products/specSheet.php?product=2803070803
http://www.jacksonguitars.com/products/specSheet.php?product=2914000854

I'll Personally get the SL1,not the Ibanez
Quote by StarlightGuitar
Man what are you talking about?Even if you buy the lowest price jackson available, you will still get high quality stuff.I bought a Jackson JS30 a year ago and now it's still like in the first day.No problems with it at all.Fender did not change the Jackson quality.

Comparing with the SL3,the SL1 is made in USA with better materials and it's got other specs than the SL3(witch are better ofc):A Double-Locking 2 Point ORIGINAL Floyd Rose Tremolo System,ebony fingerboard, Die-cast tuners (the sl3 has sealed die cast tuners), 2 different pick-ups.
http://www.jacksonguitars.com/products/specSheet.php?product=2803070803
http://www.jacksonguitars.com/products/specSheet.php?product=2914000854

I'll Personally get the SL1,not the Ibanez

What's the deal about sealed die cast tuners, is there any noticeable difference compared to die-cast tuners? Do you also know how good the FRT-02000 Floyd Rose is compared to a Original Floyd rose, the FRT doesn't seem to be a licensed tremolo because it's written "Floyd Rose" on the bridge plate, compared to a Licensed tremolo where it's written "Licensed Floyd Rose Patents."

I'm considering saving up for a SL3 or SLS3 and I'm just curious about these specs before I'll try one out .
Guitars

- Epiphone Les Paul Standard Ebony Finish
- Hohner Hc-06 Classical guitar

Amplifiers

-Roland Cube 30x
Effects
- Vox Wah-wah