My old trusty Jackson Js1. So far i have replaced a pickup, rewired the thing totally with a killswitch and a push pull volume, and replaced the tuning heads. so i have some questions about what i should do next.

#1) The guitar is gloss black and not very exciting... I wanted to sand the guitar down to bare wood. has anyone done this or heard anything bad about doing this??

#2) Relating to the former question: my thought was that since the paint job on the jackson is obviously cheap and extremely thick the resonance of the guitar would improve. Opinions??

#3) is there a matte clear coat spary that i could use one the back of the neck? the laquer is cheap and like 6 years old or something and is getting less and less playable by the day. i used to have a strat that i sanded the neck down to bare wood but i dont want that and i know they have matte paint on the necks of some esp's.

Thanks in advance for all you help ug
SchecterC-1+\m/
Moded Jackson Js1
Moded Squier Bullet
Ibanez V series acoustic
Crate GX-140C\m/
Crate 4x12\m/
DigitechRP250Multi-effect
Boss Super Overdrive\m/
Boss Noise Supressor\m/
JimDunlupXtraHeavyPicks\m/
\m/=my live setup
Quote by JacksonShred13
#1) The guitar is gloss black and not very exciting... I wanted to sand the guitar down to bare wood. has anyone done this or heard anything bad about doing this??

#2) Relating to the former question: my thought was that since the paint job on the jackson is obviously cheap and extremely thick the resonance of the guitar would improve. Opinions??

#3) is there a matte clear coat spary that i could use one the back of the neck? the laquer is cheap and like 6 years old or something and is getting less and less playable by the day. i used to have a strat that i sanded the neck down to bare wood but i dont want that and i know they have matte paint on the necks of some esp's.

Thanks in advance for all you help ug
Most of the time, opaque finishes are used because the wood itself doesn't look interesting; however, you can sand it to bare wood just to make sure. If you have a belt sander, it'll go fast.

Otherwise, if you're not inclined to find out, you can just scuff sand it with 320 grit - just remove the glossy coat so the rough surface will allow colorcoat adherence.

As far as resonance, the wood itself is the major factor. A few mm. of paint layers will not be that noticeable, specially when you run it through your FX pedals and amp.

Yea, Matte/Satin/Non-Glossy clearcoat finishes are available in spraycans: Acrylic lacquer, Nitro, etc.

An alternative is 100% Pure Tung Oil without the additives/hardeners or varnish.

Good luck and post pics!

here are some pics

so with the tung oil i would sand the neck bare and then coat the neck with it and it hardens or what exactly happens. which method would you suggest??
Attachments:
august 08 041.jpg
august 08 044.jpg
august 08 048.jpg
SchecterC-1+\m/
Moded Jackson Js1
Moded Squier Bullet
Ibanez V series acoustic
Crate GX-140C\m/
Crate 4x12\m/
Boss Super Overdrive\m/
Boss Noise Supressor\m/
\m/=my live setup
Quote by JacksonShred13
here are some pics

so with the tung oil i would sand the neck bare and then coat the neck with it and it hardens or what exactly happens. which method would you suggest??

Yep! And you can use a clean piece of cloth or brush to paint it on. Let it dry overnight and paint again. 4-5 coats should be good. The cool thing about Tung Oil is that its a natural polymerizer and its a "drying oil" meaning it'll form a tough, waterproof bond which will protect the wood.

and it leaves a texture similar to matte paint i guess? where do i get this stuff home depot?
SchecterC-1+\m/
Moded Jackson Js1
Moded Squier Bullet
Ibanez V series acoustic
Crate GX-140C\m/
Crate 4x12\m/
Boss Super Overdrive\m/
Boss Noise Supressor\m/
\m/=my live setup