I figured if I can machine metal to .0001" I could build a guitar. Once I figured out I could build a guitar I figured I could repair them... I got contacted by a guy with a "simple" refret... rosewood board, unbound... easy right? $125 job, in, out, over... NOPE...

guy brings me his abortion of a guitar... I told him it's gonna cost him $250 because the fretboard is fubar and the truss rod is stripped... so i'm going to replace them...

I'll post pics soon... this should be interesting...
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
Damn, that's jumping into it headfirst. That's supposed to be one of the harder jobs you can do repairing a guitar, but it sounds like you're qualified- good luck!
Dunlop Straps™
The best sounding straps on the market

Quote by steven seagull
Justice is this, justice is that...justice is 9 minutes long and recorded in a cupboard full of fluffy pillows
I'm a machinist - and a damn good one.

I'm actually the top engineer in my company... I do mainly CNC programming of machines that have 5-12 axes.

Jim, The V took a side burner... unfortunately I spent 2 weeks in Chicago on business. Tonight I had some PR with my fretboard customer, tomorrow I have a date . I'll probably work on it friday. I'm going to deepen my fret slots and bind the board so I can get ready to install it. I have to glue on the extensions to my headstock so I can get ready to trim that out too... Oh and I have 2 customers wanting pickups. So far I've sold 4 and my customers are very happy . Saturday I'm working in my yard on the patio I'm trying to put in and Sunday I'll work on the V again... I have one customer and I'm already swamped with work - too bad it's all my own LoL

Did I mention I love this stuff?

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
I know what you mean. When I was still in high school, I always had work. Someone at least once a day would come to me for repair work to their guitars, which weren't worth throwing away most of the time. I don't care, though. I loved it.

How much are a set of pups, btw? When I get a job, you'll probably be hearing form me.
$60 each, $5 for wax potting, $15 for covers... trying to keep prices low enough to get some out into the world

search for OHSPyro89 and check out his build. the pups in his guitar are yours truly's

Can i ask why wax potting doesnt come as standard? Does any one actually not order it?

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Jim, if you look at Cord's website, he charges $110 USD... you're looking at british pounds which he charges £55. a british pound is worth double what a US dollar is worth.

an unbound rosewood fretboard is minor compared to a bound ebony board that's 30 years old and suffers from massive tearout... unfortunately, this guy tried to yank the frets out with a pair of pliers, fill the chipped wood (there are actually small sections missin) with Krazy glue and tried to saw a new slot and it was off by like 10 degrees...

the "minor" repair grew into a fretboard replacement - a far cry from a refret job

Absent Mind - people wanting a vintage PAF sound will get them unpotted as PAF's weren't potted when they first came out. So far I've potted the pups I've sold but considering the extra time and cost involved, the $5 isn't going to help me retire.

$65 usd for a custom wound pickup is half the cost of a Lindy Fralin and that price will steadily increase as I gain a customer base so jump on it fast. I'm taking a loss on these things considering the amount of time it takes and how rapidly the cost of supplies are increasing

Last edited by nuthinbuttrubl8 at Aug 22, 2008,
something tells me this guy had no clue that he was doing?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
ya think? LoL. One fret was so deep I thought the board was 2 pieces... the slots almost hitting the neck. That was when i decided to replace the whole thing and just start over. If i can find a preslotted board it shouldnt be so hard . It's a gibson scale on a no-name guitar so i've gotta verify exactly what 24.75" scale it is considering gibson used 4 different ones

this is why i stick to 25.5 and 25" scales and dislike gibson

get to it man! I have plenty of wire and pickup bobbins just crying for a home

In a town like this, it's much easier said than done. Anyway, I'm this close to getting one. *holds thumb and index finger really close together*

Just waiting for someone to quit (should be any day now as they've been saying they would).

I have WAY too much crap on my To-Buy list...
job market sucks everywhere you go... what kinda job you trying to land?

Quote by Invader Jim
All hail the Fender scale!

And yeah, I forgot that Cord charges in GBP...

Too bad I still don't have a job.

I use both. The joys of having bank accounts in 2 countries
Not taking any online orders.
^ 3 if you count the swedish one