Ive been coming up with cool progressions and basic verse chorus kind of out lines for songs lately and i can't seem to think of something to put under the progression. I don't want it to be like im soloing the whole time, and i don't want it to subtract form the progression i just want it to add a nice touch. So any tips to like writing Lead guitar lines for verses and chorus and such?
work out a scale that contains the notes of your chord progression. Then just play around with it for the lead guitar bit.
ARCHITECTS

UNDEROATH

Aaron Gillespie
Dallas Green

Just apply fills and such to the ends of your lines or heres an idea create a single note melody that is just enough. To know when enough is enough record your self as far as rhythm and then play your fills over that or layer each piece then tell yourself "does this sound good"? When all else fails always remember SILENCE is your best friend sometimes. Play were there is nothing happening.
o ya arpeggios, how do u know what notes make arpeggios and like can u memorize them like chords?
Quote by Shecter78787
o ya arpeggios, how do u know what notes make arpeggios and like can u memorize them like chords?

An arpeggio is just a broken chord; whatever chords you're playing you can just arpeggiate them by playing the notes separately. A C major chord for example is C E G and a C major arpeggio is also C E G.
Whenever vocals stop, try adding a solo fill type thing. "Play With Me" by Extreme comes to mind, and +1 to arpeggios.
Lead could add some licks, extra rhythm, like adding to the buildup of crescendos, which is also cool if the rhythm guitar is clean, and the lead distorted. Also arpeggios over the rhythms chords can sound good too.
I think it's important to remember that lead (like any other part of the band) doesn't have to be playing all the time. Sometimes the best thing you should play is nothing at all.
Quote by Herotime
When all else fails always remember SILENCE is your best friend sometimes. .

+9 million
Sometimes it's what you don't play.
ya thats what im struggling with, finding something that sounds good and not playing too much extra crap guess ill try some apreggios
listen to hell and high water by black stone cherry for an idea of how fills can be used at the end of progressions/lines.

Quote by Shecter78787

Oh dear haha. An arpeggio IS a chord, but where you pay each note individually in stead of struming them all at the same time.
Quote by drewfromutah
Listen to some Coheed and Cambria. They always have awesome lead riffs over the power chords during verses and choruses.

lol wow Coheed and Cambria is like the band that i was trying to get lines like. dude there so ****ing awesome i can't even believe it. so ya what does he do over the progression? isn't it normally just like an additional melody? like for instance in Welcome home during the verses.
Quote by Shecter78787
lol wow Coheed and Cambria is like the band that i was trying to get lines like. dude there so ****ing awesome i can't even believe it. so ya what does he do over the progression? isn't it normally just like an additional melody? like for instance in Welcome home during the verses.

it's actually pretty simply. I know jack about theory really but Coheed uses the minor scale and pentatonic scale and just plays around with it in whatever key the song is in. Feathers, Welcome home, Faint of Hearts, 33, all great examples of this.