Page 1 of 2
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100
Honesty is the best policy!

...Unless your trying to get a job. In which case, lie like you just got pulled over with a dead body and some shovels in the back seat.

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS
Get the Peavey. Those bugeras are called "boogers" for a reason.
Quote by Widow6
Get the Peavey. Those bugeras are called "boogers" for a reason.

boogers ? y r they called that?
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100

...Unless your trying to get a job. In which case, lie like you just got pulled over with a dead body and some shovels in the back seat.

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS
Quote by sandman-105

it insinuates that they sound like snot.
I personally like the bugera 333xl... but I have the head with an avatar cab, the speakers aren't that great. If your going for a combo get the Peavey. Otherwise, the Bugera head dominates it when both run through an identical cab.
Quote by Nathan_393
it insinuates that they sound like snot.

Get the Bugera 333.

That way you have a three channel amp with a usable clean channel

The Valveking needs some (a lot) TLC to get to a usable modern metal level.
Quote by imgooley
:

how true is this?
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS
Quote by sandman-105
how true is this?

Very.

I find it (the 1x12, at least) gives a decent thick Doom/Black Sabbathy type disto at it's highest gain.

You'd need a boost, a speaker swap, a tube swap, and possibly an EQ.

I don't think the tranny is all that great on it either, but the Bugera won't have a better one. It'll just have WAY more gain than the VK, more than you'll ever use.
Quote by imgooley
Very.

I find it (the 1x12, at least) gives a decent thick Doom/Black Sabbathy type disto at it's highest gain.

I don't think the tranny is all that great on it either, but the Bugera won't have a better one. It'll just have WAY more gain than the VK, more than you'll ever use.

well hell if that first statement is true than im goin with the bugera

but keep the comments / suggestions comming
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS
Quote by sandman-105

lol, the joke loses its humor if you ask that!
Quote by stevenpollock
You can't be successful in Jazz music until you're at least 40. You don't have anything to say.
My friend has a Valveking 212, and to be honest with the gain at about 7 it puts out some really heavy distortion. I don't know why everyone says it doesn't have heavy distortion... =/
If you want a good tube amp(as long as your LOADED) get a Mesa, they rock, I'm hopefully pawning a bunch of my sh** and getting a triple Rectifier. Perfect for metal!
Quote by magnus_maximus
You're whackin' one off in the toilet and you jizz on the counter?

I hope you never get a driving license.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
Dude mangoes are so good. Imagine a blowjob, but instead of the feeling being on your dick, it's on your mouth.
lol the 2x12 valveking is such as waste of money...cost way to much to make it sound good. The 1x12 is even pushing it, but i would go with the bugera
I recently bought a Valveking, and I must say, I was pretty disappointed by it, the speaker's bass response is horrible, way too much treble at any level and the gain isn't very strong.

But it's great for classic rock and normal rock.
Quote by imgooley
Very.

I really dont believe this...
i have the 112 version of the valveking
and havent changed anything on it and i must say you can get that black sabbath type of distortion but not with its highest gain
i got a very good metallica (master of puppets CD) kind of distortion without having the distortion at 10... actually it is at 7-8
i´m not sure if it isnt just that i got the perfect EQ for this amp or something but im just saying what i know about MY amp...

But its true that this amp has a crappy speaker... but i believe that that is the only change you´ll need to do to it.

EDIT: Not using my RP350 with it
i think it sound so good that i dont even use my pedal for it
Gear:
LTD MH-1000
Ibanez RG350EX
ibanez GSA60
Line 6 Spider III 30W
Peavey ValveKing 112
Boss GE-7 EQ
Electro-Harmonix Small Clone Chorus
Digitech RP350
Last edited by barcelona_rov at Aug 21, 2008,
Quote by ele1122
My friend has a Valveking 212, and to be honest with the gain at about 7 it puts out some really heavy distortion. I don't know why everyone says it doesn't have heavy distortion... =/

Heavy is a relative term. You could be thinking of say, SoaD as heavy and the rest of us might be thinking of Necrophagist or something.
Not tried the Bugera myself but based on what I've read here it doesn't sound that great. I have tried the Valve King and while it's cheap, I was singularly unimpressed by it. I've looked at the two sites you referenced and on those, in your price range, I'd maybe suggest the Fender Hot Rod series as a good quality amp or maybe the Spider Valve if you wanted a wide range of tones without getting any additional pedals etc. I've no idea what prices are like where you are but when I was looking for an amp I was very impressed with the Laney VC30. It isn't high gain but it does have a great tone and will take a distortion pedal well. It's fantastic value for money. Alternatively, the Marshall DSL401 that I bought gives classic Marshall distortion and the clean channel is really excellent, taking a high gain distortion pedal well. It's a good amp standard but certainly benefits from a speaker and valve upgrade.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Stop knocking Bugera, I know they're not high quality, but neither is the Peavey.

Not everyone can afford high end gear.

It's not the 333, but here's some sound clips of the 6260 (the 333's sibling.)
http://www.netmusicians.org/index.php?value=Bugera%206260&section=amp

the 333 has a similar saturation and more gain then you'll ever need, Until I can get around to buying an ENGL fireball, I'll be buying the Bugera 333 head for all the shows my band are lining up.

AND I'll make sound clips to prove they are good sounding amps, 3 completely usable channels!
Quote by Blast For Satan
Stop knocking Bugera, I know they're not high quality, but neither is the Peavey.

Not everyone can afford high end gear.

It's not the 333, but here's some sound clips of the 6260 (the 333's sibling.)
http://www.netmusicians.org/index.php?value=Bugera%206260&section=amp

the 333 has a similar saturation and more gain then you'll ever need, Until I can get around to buying an ENGL fireball, I'll be buying the Bugera 333 head for all the shows my band are lining up.

AND I'll make sound clips to prove they are good sounding amps, 3 completely usable channels!

Yeah, it's pretty obvious most of you have never used a Bugera. They really do blow the Valveking out of the water.
Quote by mrvile

This is UG, we love Schecters and Ibanez and Jacksons, we hate Deans and BCR's, we hate Marshall MG's, and everyone needs a new amp.
I tested out the Valveking and Windsor at a local guitar shop before buying the Bugera.
The VK is alright if you really don't ever want to play modern metal type stuff, and the Windsor is alright if you don't ever want to play a clean chord.
The Bugera, on the other hand, offered a strong power section (4x6l6gc) so that you have high headroom, but with a good clean channel (not Fender good, but usable), a good crunch channel (not Marshall good, but damn good) and a fantastic lead channel (not Mesa fantastic, but so juicy and wet and mmmm....) so that you get all the versatility you really need by adding or removing an OD and a noisegate.
Plus for $600 for a 2x12 120w all-tube combo? What? There is more being discussed here?

If you think Bugeras sound bad, learn how to EQ.
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
the valveking DOES NOT require all the mods people talk about. It does high gain just fine as it is, the speakers are fine, the tubes are fine.... if you spend money on replacing all those things, you could have bought a really nice amp with the same money.

I have a valveking - it rocks for the money.

havnt tried the bugeras so cant say if they rock or not, but im just saying that you dont have to mod a VK to get a very usable amp. anyone who thinks there aint enuff gain is a fizzy bedroom boy.

*awaits the inevitable flame war*
Cursed to one day crash and burn because we fly so god damn high.
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/Sadistic+sponge/

here are some clips of the valveking. listen to the 11 minute track. personally, i think this thing sounds pretty freaking metal to me (at i think around 5 minutes). but yea, sadisitc sponge does a great job of demoing this amp.

im probly getting it in a couple of weeks
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by hippyheaven1
the valveking DOES NOT require all the mods people talk about. It does high gain just fine as it is, the speakers are fine, the tubes are fine.... if you spend money on replacing all those things, you could have bought a really nice amp with the same money.

I have a valveking - it rocks for the money.

havnt tried the bugeras so cant say if they rock or not, but im just saying that you dont have to mod a VK to get a very usable amp. anyone who thinks there aint enuff gain is a fizzy bedroom boy.

*awaits the inevitable flame war*

lol just as you post this i post supporting evidence of your claims
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
then we make a good team :-)
Cursed to one day crash and burn because we fly so god damn high.
Quote by bored_maniac33
lol just as you post this i post supporting evidence of your claims

And I quote this to further highlight the fact that you don't know what you're talking about

The cleans on the Valveking quack. Even with the bright switch off and the treble rolled down, they quack. They also sound scooped. So, an abrasive scooped clean? No.

As far as the amount of gain- You will not get the prototypical modern metal amount of gain from the valveking without a boost, and once you do boost it, odds are it'll be a bit muddy, especially in the 2x12 version.

That said, it can pull off Black Sabbath/Doom type gain really well because it's very dark. (the gain channel).

The Bugera 333, on the other hand, has a very serviceable to good clean channel (can't speak to the 6260, never played it). Very smooth and full.

The Crunch channel is IMO the best channel on it. It has enough gain for modern metal without a boost and has tonnes of mids. I personally like it better than the crunch on the Peavey XXX, which has too much fizz.

The lead channel has more gain than you'll ever need and cuts very well.

Don't speak about which one's better unless you've at least heard the amp.
Quote by imgooley

Get the Bugera 333.

This. Or look used at a RG50tc, maybe find a mesa F-30 at $600 used? But of the two you list, the Bugera.
Bugera definitely has better metal tone from the start. Go with the 6262, the 333 sounds too fuzzy for higher-gain.

I'd advise against the RG50TC and the Valveking, as both I tried sound decidedly ''Meh''.
I'm stayin out of this one as i have never tried a Bugera. Sadistic_Sponge did do some nice clips of a stock VK tho.

Others have too.

I think you should open your options up as well. Can you buy used...like off of Craigslist?
Quote by truespin
If you think Bugeras sound bad, learn how to EQ.

Same thing can also be said about the Valvekings.

I've got the head version instead of the combo and using with an older Peavey 2x12. I use a MXR 10-band EQ in the effects loop and that's it. I think it sounds pretty damn good.

TS, is there any way to do a side by side comparison between the two? Take your guitar, bring it to a shop, put the amps side by side and start playing? Best way to make the decision really.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Can you buy used...like off of Craigslist?

possiablly but im only 14 so im still livin with the parents and they aren't vary open to craigslist for one reason or another.

but i commonly look at the local craiglist for the hell of lookin and of the amps they are basically all ****.
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS
Quote by MetalMan-93
what do you have with ibanezes??

They are the best for me

i had a rg4exqm1 with the edge 3 trem which was a nightmare so i returned it im just right now not a big fan on em' now.
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS
Get the Bugera. The VK isnt that great. Neither is the bugera, but its way more usefull than the VK. If you want a metal amp: get the 6262, if you need versatility, get the 333XL.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by sandman-105
i had a rg4exqm1 with the edge 3 trem which was a nightmare so i returned it im just right now not a big fan on em' now.

Hmm

Ibanez GSA60

Boss DS-2
Line 6 Pocket Pod
Vox V847 Wah

Fender FM65R
Fender Mini Deluxe

METALLICA RULES
Last edited by MetalMan-93 at Aug 25, 2008,
Quote by imgooley

Get the Bugera 333.

so your implying that valvekings have crap cleans aye?

facepalm yourself mate.
Page 1 of 2