hey everyone.
oh how i missed you while i was on my little vacation to the FOTB. (btw kids, dont post in a reported thread)

i have had my fender Hot Rod Deluxe for over 2 years now. and i would say that im very happy with it. really nice cleans, and with a TS over the drive channel, you get rid of the fizziness and flabby mud. however, there is only on real problem: I HAVE TO CHANGE PREAMP TUBES EVERY 4-6 MONTHS.

According to my tech, there is nothing wrong with the amp electronically. I bekeive that the problem is the location of the speaker in relation to the preamp tubes. I have never seen a combo amp with the two so close together.

Has anyone else heard of this problem? do you have any other ideas what could be causing this problem? do anyone of you own a tube factory and can give me free tubes for life?
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
i don't have the answer to your question but welcome back. how was the withdrawl

generally, I wish they did a little more RnD but on the same token I don't think we can complain either. Again, no idea on your specific problem sorry.

is there something that could be causing extra drain on you tubes? How are you playing this amp?

oh, and good luck
I've read that those things are pretty much torture chambers for tubes. I liked mine for the cleans, but there was all sorts of buzzing at higher volume and like you said, it has ****ty overdrive. Luckily I sold it on ebay for the same amount I paid for it.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
thanks for the welcome back! its sooo good to be here again. withdrawal was hell at first, i would read through the FOTB alot. and then i logged out and just lurked for awhile. but then i sort of forgot about it and realized that today was day 30.

i do play often. every day, and i gig at least once a week. usually twice though. even live, my volume doesnt really go above 3.5, and usually on 2-2.5. the amp is never on when im not playing.
thanks for the free bump

and to kevin_sale, did you buy it used or did you just get a great deal on it?
im contemplating selling mine, along with my Epi les paul for something better.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Hey, I just got off teh ban as well!

But what exactly is the problem? Are you tubes going dead?
Quote by imgooley
Hey, I just got off teh ban as well!

But what exactly is the problem? Are you tubes going dead?

yes, the preamp tubes go dead every 4-5 months. ive tried several different brands. sometimes the just quit working, sometimes i just get huge volume loss, and sometimes just a loss of tone overall.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
I got it probably two years ago new for 400. Then when I sold it they were going for 600 new and 400 used. Lucky me.
Quote by Kevin Saale
I got it probably two years ago new for 400. Then when I sold it they were going for 600 new and 400 used. Lucky me.

yes very lucky haha.
i hope i can get $400, that plus whatever i get from my les paul would easily put me in deluxe reverb range. i could add some mula and be in super reverb range.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
And you took it to a tech, who said there are no problems with any of the other components?

Wow, that's just plain weird.
I love both those amps. I prefer the deluxe simply for the sweet break up you can get on it.
Quote by Kevin Saale
I love both those amps. I prefer the deluxe simply for the sweet break up you can get on it.

oh yes there both great. i want the Super so i can keep nice big cleans at most live volumes, but 4 10s will be awfully heavy. plus i slightly prefer the sound of 6l6 to 6v6.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Welcome back.
I realize that you and a few others got banned all at the same time. wasn't it in the thread where this one kid said that Billy Gibbons and EC liked solidstate amps better because they were less noisy?
Anyways, I have limited experience with HRD's, but have you tried old stock tubes? They are built better and usually last longer. They sound good to boot, also.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
^+1 Definately worth a shot if it saves you from selling your amp.

I got banned because of that same stupid thread. the Fotb is definitely not exciting in the least.
^They are pretty open and from my experience didn't run all that hot, and I had mine fairly cranked with an attenuator most of the time.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^yeah I was also wondering if maybe there was biasing issue.

also, would the extra heat from cramped quarters fry a tube or other component more quickly? Can you make this thing more of an open back>>>???

I don't think it would be a biasing issue because they are preamp tubes.

And isn't it open backed already?
Quote by darkarbiter7
Welcome back.
I realize that you and a few others got banned all at the same time. wasn't it in the thread where this one kid said that Billy Gibbons and EC liked solidstate amps better because they were less noisy?
Anyways, I have limited experience with HRD's, but have you tried old stock tubes? They are built better and usually last longer. They sound good to boot, also.

hey thanks Dark!!!
i noticed it took you more than 15 minutes to post in this thread, im a little dissapointed haha. J/K
i beleive that was the thread that i was banned in.

i have considered getting some NOS tubes, however i am weary of spending that kind of money if there is a chance that my amp is going to mercilessly rape them. i would hate for some great NOS tubes to go to waste like that.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by imgooley
I don't think it would be a biasing issue because they are preamp tubes.

And isn't it open backed already?

Yup, and yup.

Chea_man: At first I thought you meant the tubes were going microphonic, but that is very strange for them to totally die on you.

Edit: Now I have horrible images of amps raping tubes in my head. I'll send my therapist bill your way
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^yeah I was also wondering if maybe there was biasing issue.

also, would the extra heat from cramped quarters fry a tube or other component more quickly? Can you make this thing more of an open back>>>???

im only having trouble with preamp tubes. biasing, unless im mistaken, will only effect the power tubes.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by Kevin Saale

Edit: Now I have horrible images of amps raping tubes in my head. I'll send my therapist bill your way

brings a new meaning to the phrase "tubescreamer", right? haha
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Wow, luckily the pun police aren't around, you'd be banned again!
Quote by chea_man
hey thanks Dark!!!
i noticed it took you more than 15 minutes to post in this thread, im a little dissapointed haha. J/K
i beleive that was the thread that i was banned in.

i have considered getting some NOS tubes, however i am weary of spending that kind of money if there is a chance that my amp is going to mercilessly rape them. i would hate for some great NOS tubes to go to waste like that.

I got 3 hours of sleep last night, so my cat-like keyboard and mouse skills are kind of slow.

Anyways, here's a great deal for old stock tubes:
http://tubedepot.com/nos-12ax7-us-po.html
Sadly, they're out of stock. But, they probably get new stocks in.

One time, I ordered two tubes from that deal (spent about 35 dollars once shipping and everything was included), and got two of these with logos intact: http://tubedepot.com/nos-12ax7a-rca.html

Needless to say, I was a happy camper when I got to install them

But, while you're waiting for those to get back in stock, there's similar deals on their 5751's, and other 12AX7 variants. Check those out!
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Last edited by darkarbiter7 at Aug 20, 2008,
oh snap dark, thats a great deal. when there back in stock i will probaby stock up on those, thanks for the tip.
do they sound sweet?
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Well, I did get one dud from them, a sylvania. But, the ones other than that sounded absolutely great.
They were all very full and musical, and just worked great.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by Kevin Saale
Wow, luckily the pun police aren't around, you'd be banned again!

haha, your right. i really should watch out.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
This is a problem common with these really loud fender Hot rod series amps
I believe there is a fix for this... some kind of bias fix (have you tried biasing the tubes a little cooler?)

Try the Gear Customizing thread... I believe they may have the fix
Quote by Highwaytohell
This is a problem common with these really loud fender Hot rod series amps
I believe there is a fix for this... some kind of bias fix (have you tried biasing the tubes a little cooler?)

Try the Gear Customizing thread... I believe they may have the fix

that wouldnt help my preamp tubes.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Well, what tubes do you usually use in it?
If you're using modern production tubes, some burn out faster than others.
But, i'd check with GB&C or another tech.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
i have used grove tubes, rubies, EHX, JJs, and something else. cant remember though.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
So, all of those have burned out really quickly?
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7
So, all of those have burned out really quickly?

yeah. 4-6 months.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
so do you swap them out all at the same time, the preamps, and replace -or- are you doing one by one...just seems like there is something burning these quicker than normal. Wouldn't you expect at least a year or two or longer? Based on what you've been thru already I would say it is not the quality of the tube it is something else.

i'll shut up now. good luck.

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
so do you swap them out all at the same time, the preamps, and replace -or- are you doing one by one...just seems like there is something burning these quicker than normal. Wouldn't you expect at least a year or two or longer? Based on what you've been thru already I would say it is not the quality of the tube it is something else.

i'll shut up now. good luck.

i have done both before. but lately ive been doing all at once just that i have a spare or two incase one goes bad at a gig.
i agree, there must be something that is doing this to the tubes, theres no way its just a problem with ALL of the brands ive tried. like i said, i think it is due to how close the speaker is to the preamp tubes.

there is no need to "shut up now", im always happy to receive any type of feedback when i make a thread. i, like many, have had quite a few questions that have been unanswered. so thank you for your help.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.