I just recently bought a slide, so i've been using alot of alternate tunings. I was tuning my guitar by ear to get it back into standard, but I had a temporary brain relapse and accidentally sharpened my low e instead of making it flat. So it snapped. I then searched throught my drawers for a new set of strings, but I only had a b. So I put my B string where the E string was. But will the added tension mess up my neck? I'm getting a new set tommorrow and i'll replace them all but will it be alright to leave it on until then, or should I take it off when I'm done?
i wouldnt think it hurt your neck but you might want to drop the extra b string down a bit
i would replace them soon though
Should I just drop every string down a half step? I'm done with the slide for tonight, I only need it as close to standard as possible...
Well if your getting new strings tomoro, and your worried, if your getting them before you will play just take them off. It might do a bit, only on that side so i wouldnt leave it.
Twisting warps are not something you want.
ya do eflat.
assuming you mean high e (referred to in pitch not altitude) it wont do any damage but seriously dude you should replace your strings about every two weeks if youre a daily player that always uses the same guitar. buy a ten pack online and it costs you six dollars a month or so to always have fresh strings that arent ready to break and still sound crisp. the only reason not to buy in bulk is if youre planning on quitting. remember the guitar is just a very well crafted string holder, when you play youre playing the strings and id personally rather play a cheapo epiphone with fresh strings than a $3K gibson with old dingy ones
Your neck should be fine, but if it is jacked up it might be that the wood is warping. Is your frettboard than the neck?
When the power of Love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. ~Jimi Hendrix
one more thing assuming from the fact you tune back to standard i take its not a slide exclusive guitar. if you like slide you can just buy the most beat guitar you can find that has decent resonance and jack the action up high and put heavy strings on it no matter how warped the neck is the strings (the only thing you play remember) are always straight for the slide. if you like slide id buy a $50 pawn shop special and set it up for slide only (action high, strings heavy, truss rod to compensate for the first two) and not have to worry about warping the neck with different tensions.
Quote by MichaelOfCanton
assuming you mean high e (referred to in pitch not altitude) it wont do any damage but seriously dude you should replace your strings about every two weeks if youre a daily player that always uses the same guitar. buy a ten pack online and it costs you six dollars a month or so to always have fresh strings that arent ready to break and still sound crisp. the only reason not to buy in bulk is if youre planning on quitting. remember the guitar is just a very well crafted string holder, when you play youre playing the strings and id personally rather play a cheapo epiphone with fresh strings than a $3K gibson with old dingy ones

every part of that is wrong.
TS, i would just take it off.
I have an old johnson strat knockoff that I was thinking of setting up strictly for slide, and I probably will end up doing that. I normally change strings on this guitar about once every month or so. I dont gig, so I just wait until I'm not very rough with my guitar. I normally just bought them as I needed them, but I think I'm going to order them in bulk of musicians friend, that way i dont have to wait for my lessons to get a new pack.
Quote by MichaelOfCanton
id personally rather play a cheapo epiphone with fresh strings than a $3K gibson with old dingy ones

Wtf?
Guitars: Fender Highway one -08, Epiphone SG, Walden acoustic and two parlour-acoustics from the early 30's
Amps: Fender -65 Deluxe Reverb, Marshall Valvestate 8240, Peavey Rage and one unknown one, hehe...
Pedals: Dunlop Fuzzface, Original Crybaby