So I visit these forums often, but this is my first post, soo hopefully it's not too horrid!

On to the point, I purchased an Epiphone Les Paul Custom today, used. The selling point for me was that it came with Seymour Duncan humbuckers that look exactly like the Blackout actives, but I'm just not sure, as I haven't been able to find any batteries or cavities for batteries. I've tried looking the guitar up but have failed to find anything similar at all. So what I'm trying to find out is A. Do I have active pickups, and/or where else other than under the pick guard, would they be if it were, and B. Is this (used) guitar worth the 500 bucks. I'll include some pics if I can figure it out, but any info on this guitar would be nice. I do have to say though it sounds very nice, and was a super nice upgrade from the uh.. Squier. Thanks in advance for any help. Oh, and yes, I should have asked at the store, but I got a bit too excited and all my brains quit working.

and
Last edited by cdparr at Aug 20, 2008,
It looks pretty nice for 500. Esp if it really is a custom.

EDIT:
those pups do look like blackouts to me. But I have no experience with active pups. can't help you there.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
as far as i know all sd pickups covered in that fashion are active, although they are not necessarily blackouts. check the sd site to see some of the possibilities; they are all modern output pickups. the battery is probably in the control cavity. i feel that that is a pretty good deal for 500, but you should buy a guitar because you like it, not because its a good deal.
'59 Bassman Reissue
Custom Strat
Custom McCarty
Custom OM
Big Muff Pi
Dunlop Wah
Nice, thanks for the quick responses, much appreciated. Also I did buy it cause I like it, I'm just not familiar with what a quality guitar would cost, and was hoping I didn't overpay. Again, thanks.
Look for batteries in the control cavity.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
First of all junk the Duncan's the ones you have are a 2 wire conductor with minimal DC resistance. If your gonna make the Les Paul sound nice, Put either a DiMarzio Super or Tone Zone in the bridge....and a DiMarzio Air Norton 193DP they all have Alnico V magnets for incrediable DC output...your last chance is a Gibson 500T in the bridge and a 498R in the neck and you will never look at EMG's again
*reported*

this thread is ooooold, but if you're going to bump at least get your facts right.

pickups with Alnico 5 magnets don't tend to work well with overly high resistances, you're better off with ceramics for that. Furthermore DC resistance doesn NOT equal output, nor does a higher DC resistance mean a "better" sound, and 2 conductor wiring makes sod all difference other than giving you less wiring options.

And a TZ/AN combo in a Les Paulk would be muddy as anything, terrible recommendation.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com