Heya folks. Im gonna be going to college soon and I want to go for music/guitar performance and some music business stuff. Im a bit apprehensive...i happen to be a rock/metal/indie player who writes a lot of tunes and wants to get in a band and make it big someday. But I also want to learn more about theory and playing what have you. My big problem is this: I rarely hear of any musicians who are halfway decent/popular who have gone to music school. I know of two, John Petrucci and John Mayer, and neither graduated.

Are there any famous/successful/popular enough to make a living playing original music
musicians out there who went to music school and/or graduated?

Im really worried. Sure could use some wisdom.
Quote by vintage x metal
My toilet has seen some scenes that one would describe as 'deathcore'
Paul Gilbert
Death Cube K

Quote by primusfan
i know an old lady who supports abortion because it's generally low-class black women getting it performed and for her the less inner-city black kids (or blacks in general) there are, the better.

Oh Damn
Quote by Artemis Entreri
Clapton went to some sort of school didn't he.

SCHOOL OF HARD KNOCKS MOFO

sorry....
Quote by nexteyenate
+1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

leftybassdude's opinion is superior to anyone else's

Member of The Weakerthans Fan Club
PM TechnicolorBoy or maybe_I_am to join
Everyone in DT i think
Paul Gilbert
Steve Vai
Joe Satriani (dont know if he went to a school but he did take lessons which upped his knowledge of theory)
Quote by csn00b
I hate seeing cute girls topless and what not, it just feels wrong.
A lot of the modern metalheads and shredders went to music school. Most of Dream Theater for example. Some like Satriani and Gilbert are even qualified to teach at schools I think.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Amanda Palmer is the first one that comes to mind.

She went to Oberlin.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Jimmy Page? Wait.... I think he went to Art School. hmmmm.....
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
Quote by dfinch10
Adam D. and Joel from Killswitch Engage

No way! They're two of my favorite guitar players!
Quote by vintage x metal
No musician gets famous because he graduated from music school. That's not how the music industry works.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
No musician gets famous because he graduated from music school. That's not how the music industry works.

Thats not what I meant. I just noticed the majority of famous musicians don't really formally study music in college. I just wanted to see some proof that you can study theory and music and whatever without stunting your career.
Quote by vintage x metal
Kyle Gass From Tenacious D.
He is the youngest person the graduated Juilard(sp) at 13 for classical guitar.

I-I

I----------------I

TheOneAndOnlyIsaac

john petrucci berklee but he dropped out. my singer was friends with him at the time.
Quote by manmanster
Thats not what I meant. I just noticed the majority of famous musicians don't really formally study music in college. I just wanted to see some proof that you can study theory and music and whatever without stunting your career.

Well...

1. You're talking exclusively about musicians who play modern and popular styles. Virtually all legendary classical musicians and most jazz musicians studied music extensively in college.

2. The reason why most pop musicians don't need formal study is because the music doesn't really require it. The music is just not all that complicated to grasp and understand. I always discourage people from "studying" rock/metal/blues because it's a waste of time and money.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
Well...

1. You're talking exclusively about musicians who play modern and popular styles. Virtually all legendary classical musicians and most jazz musicians studied music extensively in college.

2. The reason why most pop musicians don't need formal study is because the music doesn't really require it. The music is just not all that complicated to grasp and understand. I always discourage people from "studying" rock/metal/blues because it's a waste of time and money.

Well, I said I was a metal/rock player didn't I?

The only school I know of that allows you to study contemporary styles of music exclusively is Berkley, an overpriced and overrated institution. I want to study jazz, a style I not only enjoy in and of itself, it is something that I have been able to apply to my contemporary music extensively. The chord theory and harmonization I've learned from jazz has been invaluable to my singer/songwriter music, and has improved my skills as a songwriter and accompanist. But theres still a lot I can learn.
Quote by vintage x metal
Quote by manmanster
Well, I said I was a metal/rock player didn't I?

The only school I know of that allows you to study contemporary styles of music exclusively is Berkley, an overpriced and overrated institution. I want to study jazz, a style I not only enjoy in and of itself, it is something that I have been able to apply to my contemporary music extensively. The chord theory and harmonization I've learned from jazz has been invaluable to my singer/songwriter music, and has improved my skills as a songwriter and accompanist. But theres still a lot I can learn.

I'm going to Berklee...

It's a great jazz school. I definitely wouldn't rule it out if that's what you want to study. Berklee claims to be open to new styles, but it's actually almost all jazz. That's what I'm going for, anyways. And yes, you're right. Jazz is a very applicable skill.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Aug 21, 2008,
I'm pretty sure Maynard from Tool went to some kind of college. Might be wrong though cause in one of the songs he says he didn't graduate from high school.
All the dudes in the Kooks went to Brighton Institute of Modern Music
Supreme Commander Of The Lolcats Of the UG Army

And that guy, who had that idea, one time

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SIMIAN σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Brendon Small (Dethklok) graduated from Berkeley, and I know John Butler dropped out of music college.
Quote by Xiaoxi
I'm going to Berklee...

It's a great jazz school. I definitely wouldn't rule it out if that's what you want to study. Berklee claims to be open to new styles, but it's actually almost all jazz. That's what I'm going for, anyways. And yes, you're right. Jazz is a very applicable skill.

Its so expensive though. I don't think its worth it.
Quote by vintage x metal
Quote by manmanster
Its so expensive though. I don't think its worth it.

It's what you make of it, I guess.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
John Petrucci and Mike Portnoy, they formed Dream Theater in music school.
Live Rig:
Ibanez Rg 150R w/ Duncan 59s
Marshall JCM2000 TSL60 Head
Mark IV Combo
Marshall 1960a Cab w/ Vintage 30s
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige w/ Duncan 59s
Jackson SLSMG Soloist
Currently in Ontario, Canada.