Today, I bought a used Crate V32 Palomino combo amp from guitar center, 250 dollars. It sounded wonderful to my ears in guitar center, but when I got it home, the sound seemed to be compressed or thin, not as alive, and when playing one note and bending another on top of it I get weird low or high frequency overtones. I uploaded a video to show you what I mean. I suspect that what happened is that the power tubes were on their last leg, and the somewhat bumpy drive home finished them, but I'm fairly new to tube amps (this is my second, the first I got about 3 months ago), and I'm not quite sure what the problem is.

Any diagnoses? Thank you for your time and advice.

http://www.veoh.com/videos/v15612879A3AfeHpR
Did you use the same guitar as in the store?
Your guitar could be set up poorly.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
tubes may be rattling or the reverb is rattling
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
well, since there seems to be some disagreement on what it may be, I'm probably gonna take it in to GC and have them look at it. Thank you for the replies, please keep them coming if you have something to say.
Quote by darkarbiter7
Did you use the same guitar as in the store?
Your guitar could be set up poorly.

One of my guitars is set up poorly. The other one, the one in the video, was set up by my local guitar tech about a month ago. I wasn't completely satisfied with the job he did, but I'd say it's average at least. The same thing happened with both guitars..
Quote by 白い雲
well, since there seems to be some disagreement on what it may be, I'm probably gonna take it in to GC and have them look at it. Thank you for the replies, please keep them coming if you have something to say.

I'm 95% sure your problem is ghosting.

and I'm 99% sure the people at GC will have no clue what to do about it.
Quote by JLT73
tubes may be rattling or the reverb is rattling

The volume was only at about 1 or 2. It happened whether reverb was on or not, but it only happened in overdrive mode.
Quote by al112987
I'm 95% sure your problem is ghosting.

and I'm 99% sure the people at GC will have no clue what to do about it.

Hmm. Do you think they'll just tell me "too bad", or do you think they'd take the amp back if that's what I want to do (from your experience)?
Quote by 白い雲
Hmm. Do you think they'll just tell me "too bad", or do you think they'd take the amp back if that's what I want to do (from your experience)?

Your best bet is to try to get a refund or exchange for a different one. But expecting them to fix anything is laughable.
in the ghosting thread, someone said it may be caused by power supply modulation. The jacks in my house are pretty old, I'll have to try the amp on a more modern jack.
Quote by al112987
Your best bet is to try to get a refund or exchange for a different one. But expecting them to fix anything is laughable.

Ya, you're probably right about that (the fixing thing). I mean, if it was something simple like needing new tubes, it'd be a different story. I've never been too impressed with the technical know-how of the people at guitar center. But, it is a chain store, you get what you pay for.

by the way, thank you for your help.
I almost forgot: it seems as though it was getting very hot at my house, hotter than it was in the store (may be my imagination), and definitely hotter than my fender super champ xd gets (but that may be due to this amp having more watts, tubes, and drive)
Quote by 白い雲
Ya, you're probably right about that (the fixing thing). I mean, if it was something simple like needing new tubes, it'd be a different story. I've never been too impressed with the technical know-how of the people at guitar center. But, it is a chain store, you get what you pay for.

by the way, thank you for your help.

No kidding, the people there are idiots.

I stray clear of GC whenever possible. I'm very willing to pay higher prices to mom and pop stores who provide a more helpful staff and need the money.
al112987, if it's a ghost note problem, do you think it'd be something unique to this one amp, or due to the harmonic qualities of the amp model?
Its hard to pin down exactly where ghosting comes from in the circuit. Amp circuits are pretty sensitive

Generally, it has to do with insufficient filtering in the power supply, but that's really as far as I know.

Your amp could be a dud, or it could be an inherent problem with the amp's design. I'd take it to the GC and try other ones to see if they have the same problem.
Quote by al112987
Its hard to pin down exactly where ghosting comes from in the circuit. Amp circuits are pretty sensitive

Generally, it has to do with insufficient filtering in the power supply, but that's really as far as I know.

Your amp could be a dud, or it could be an inherent problem with the amp's design. I'd take it to the GC and try other ones to see if they have the same problem.

The only problem is, the model's discontinued, so they don't have any other ones.
Quote by 白い雲
The only problem is, the model's discontinued, so they don't have any other ones.

Thats the risk you take when you go for a discontinued item... Take it back to guitar center and have them check some other stores near-by and see if they can find a place with them in stock. If not see if they can ship it off to be fixed, but more then likely your either stuck with it or stuck with buying something different.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Thats the risk you take when you go for a discontinued item... Take it back to guitar center and have them check some other stores near-by and see if they can find a place with them in stock. If not see if they can ship it off to be fixed, but more then likely your either stuck with it or stuck with buying something different.

Well, ya. I don't mind having to buy something different if they can't fix it.
I ended up taking it back. Lesson learned..

The guy at the store thinks I have really picky ears, and that those sounds are normal.
Last edited by 白い雲 at Aug 22, 2008,
Cash back.

I was considering a valve junior half stack but really, I'm thinking I just need to save more money if I want a good amp, and I'm probably gonna stick with my super champ xd for now. I love the clean (no digital modeling) sound on it, and I might get a fulltone ocd or something like that for some good overdrive.

I'm switching my priority to getting a better classical guitar. Right now, I have my mom's Yamaha from the 70's. I don't know if a new one would sound better or not. The action and intonation would be better, but maybe I could get those adjusted on the Yamaha, I don't know. If I do get a new one, I'm looking at a Pavan TP-10. Any advice? I'm thinking, around 400 dollars.

I spent this summer working to save money for gear. I was only able to save about 1600, since my job's only a little above min. wage. I got my current guitar, which after upgrades will be about 700 dollars, and that leaves me (minus various expenses for college and a usb recording device I just got) about 700 dollars. There's a lot of equipment I'd like to get (microphones, pedals, amp, classical guitar, acoustic guitar, analogue synth, bass guitar, studio monitors, etc...), but I know I've got a very limited budget, and I'm trying to focus more on quality than quantity.
Ya.. I dunno. I think the idea of wanting to get gear for the sake of it is stupid, and it's better to focus on being a better musician, but at the same time, having bad equipment can hold you back... it's nice to be able to record your music, and having a variety of instruments makes for more creative songwriting.

I guess it's the classic dilemma.