My band's got a gig coming up. Anybody got any tricks for a better, more professional sound? For instance, propping the guitar amps on a chair to hear it better, or pointing bass amps towards the wall to spread out the sound more. We don't have any mixers or anything like that really.

inb4 "Play well" or something assholish like that, that goes without saying.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Where are you playing? Usually, places have PA's with amp mics and whatnot, but I wouldn't really suggest booking a gig with anything smaller than 2x12 combos, because if you happen to draw a big crowd, you won't be able to hear yourselves.
well if it's like just a party gig, make sure you put your PA on stands, set to the standard head-height because if it's at our head's level it's easier to hear.
What are you doing for vocals if you dont have a P.A with a mixer?

Obviously position the amps where you get a good stage sound and a good crowd sound
Gear:

07 Gibson LP Vintage Mahogany
90-91 Fender MIJ '62 Reissue Strat
Fender Acoustic/Electric
Marshall TSL601 Combo
Crybaby Wah
Ibanez TS-9
Boss Tu-2
Just do what the soundman tells you to do. That's their job - to make you sound good. You play the music. He/she'll worry about the rest.

Now, to make their life easier... Turn down your guitar amps. When they pop a mic in front of your cab, the sound will go through the mains and the monitors and be controlled from there. You can make a 10W amp loud enough to play Wembley Statium. The lower it is, the less extranneous 'stage' noise there will be to contend with and compensate for. Lots of people think you need to be loud. Being loud only complicates things and makes the sound person hate you.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by Leper_Messiah_
What are you doing for vocals if you dont have a P.A with a mixer?

Obviously position the amps where you get a good stage sound and a good crowd sound

Well WE don't have one, but I assume they have one as most venues do, and this is a respectable joint.

The thing is, I'm not sure if we'll get a sound guy doing mixing in stuff, as this'll be sort of an amateur night thing.
Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
If it is a half-way decent club, even for an amateur night sort of thing, they'll bring someone in to do it. If you're concerned about it, though, call the club and ask them.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

What I suppose I really want is, how do we make the drums sound better? I'm probably going to be bi-amping (my Blues Jr. on the left, bassist's Classic 50 on the right), and the bass should be fine. But how do we get the drums to sound great?
Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Last edited by Sonicxlover at Aug 21, 2008,
How big is the room? How big is the projected audience?

It is hard to gain much control over a drum sound in a small room/club. The sound person will put a wee bit of kick and snare through the mains just to give it some more 'oomph' and to include the drums in the mix, but beyond that, there's not much you can do.

The main ingredients:
-a good sounding kit to start with
-good mic choices and placement.

Since you're only miking the kick and snare at best, and don't want to blast everyone's heads off, you're not going to have much control over anything except the first one.

CT