I posted this in the pit, but apparently that wasn't very smart so who cares about that.

So I want to join this band and I'm going to meet them in a few days. For some reason it's just a meeting and not a jam session or anything. So how am I supposed to convince them to take me?

They play stuff influenced by J-Rock and such, seeing as how you can't technically make J-Rock outside of Japan.
The meeting isn't about your playing ability, it's to see if you get along with them. My advise is to just be nice and don't insult anything they like.
Just be yourself dude,

9 out of 10 times guys don't care how well you play at a jam session anyway, I mean you can be the greatest guitarist ever but if you're a douche you're not getting in.

Tell them your influences, name 3 guitarists who, combined, define your style/ability and that's about it.
This water's dark and coldGod's not where you hopedThis moment come and goneIt's time we all moved on
If this is a suit-and-tie meeting, I wouldn't even go.

But if it's a order-a-pizza-and-throw-in-an-American-Pie-movie meeting, go.
Quote by Shredder XXX
Just be yourself dude,

9 out of 10 times guys don't care how well you play at a jam session anyway, I mean you can be the greatest guitarist ever but if you're a douche you're not getting in.

Tell them your influences, name 3 guitarists who, combined, define your style/ability and that's about it.

x2.

Be yourself, they are seeing if you will get along as a person not just a musician. They are also probably screening you so they dont have to waste audition time if your goals and visions do not align with theirs
Gear:

07 Gibson LP Vintage Mahogany
90-91 Fender MIJ '62 Reissue Strat
Fender Acoustic/Electric
Marshall TSL601 Combo
Crybaby Wah
Ibanez TS-9
Boss Tu-2
Exactly. We do that when we're looking for someone, and for exactly those reasons.

Dunno about SSDD.... For us it's always been a casual sit-down in a coffee shop or pub or something.

Be prepared to talk about what your goals are and what you're hoping to get out of the project, what you can contribute to the project, etc. Maybe about your philosophy of being in a band and how to get along, communicate, etc. You'll talk about playing style, your approach to playing live, your opinions about certain things the band might ask you about.

All kinds of things like that, with the basic goal of finding out "Is this the *person* we want to work with?"

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Last edited by axemanchris at Aug 21, 2008,
Yeah, they just wanna check you out as a person to see how well you'll get along with the rest of them. Which is a smart move, after all, there's no point in having someone join a band for their musical ability only for them to turn out to be a complete arsehole and that no one in the band actualy likes them.
Try not to be aloof, pretentious or egotistical in any way, be friendly and relaxed but try to be genuine.
Stand your round and have a laugh with them, but if they start making fun of their bassist or drummer (it's usualy either the bassist or drummer that the band make fun of, and almost every band has someone that they make fun of) do NOT join in, but don't be prudish about it either, you can giggle, but don't say anything yourself because you haven't joined the band yet so you haven't earned that right yet.
If someone makes fun of you, come back with a quick, witty, one liner, then leave it, they'll probably be checking to see how well you can take a bit of stick and how you handle yourself under pressure.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Aug 21, 2008,