I need to write a heavy riff for one of my songs, not metal heavy, but heavy rock heavy. Like something Iron Maidenesque. Any scales that I should use or any tips on how to make my riffs heavier. I usually play blues so my riffs aren't heavy enough for this particular song.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
get creative. what i like to do to make a sweet lick is think of something in my head and then transcribe it to guitar.
To deny our own impulses, is to deny the very thing that makes us human.
Quote by XianXiuHong
0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0
PM-------------------

Metallica style

I lol'd.

Experiment with galloping on powerchords, Iron Maiden pretty much wrote the book on galloping.

Also, use slides to accentuate powerchords, and mess around with chromatics.

One thing I do that not a lot of people do is to let distorted stuff ring out, and get that kind of intentionally messy sound. A godd example in a song is when the slow riff in "Holy Wars...The Punishment Due" where Dave lets the notes rign into each other.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Maiden aren't really particularly heavy, aside from Paschendale or Montsegur, Brighter Than A Thousand Suns, the rest are just metal, really.
Use the low strings on the low frets, 0,1,2,3 and their power chords like

---
---
---
---
-0-
-2-

you can get slayer like riffs if you **** around wit them
As said, use lots of palm muting. Also, what I like to do between palm mutes is take power chord diads based on the A string and slide them. for example:

D|-------9---9\7-----7---7/9-----9---9\7-----7-5-4-2-|
A|-------7---7\5-----5---5/7-----7---7\5-----5-3-2-0-|
E|0000--00----000--00----000--00----000-----------| << all notes on E string are PM'd

That sort of thing. That's my riff, though, so don't steal it!
One word: Chromatics
In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Quote by Lord-O-Donuts
Banned for being the coolest April 08'er on UG.

please check out my own album:
almilano.bandcamp.com
Quote by StiltonCheese
Maiden aren't really particularly heavy, aside from Paschendale or Montsegur, Brighter Than A Thousand Suns, the rest are just metal, really.

Well compared to what I normally play its heavy. Thanks to eeryone for the help, i have a galloping rhythm now, but I think it still needs a lead part over it so I'm gonna mess around with all your tips and hopefully come out with a decent lead riff.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}