Are they anywhere near as great as what so many people say? I mean, I know a lot of guitar players swear by them, but are they really that special?

See, I got a Traynor YCS100H Custom Special a while back, and I have been extremely happy with it, but I can't seem to get the killer distortion tone that so many people have said that it possesses. Actually, the distortion is great with chords, but it's not so wonderful with solo's. I've tweaked it and everything, but nothing really seems to change. I know of a fact that it's not the head, because everyone I have talked to about the amp as said that it can kick out sustain and distortion like nothing else, but I'm not seeing that. I bought a Hartke GH412A for the amp because I could not afford anything with Vintage 30's. I'm thinking that this is probably my problem my problem. Right now I can get a beautiful solo tone through my clean channel with my Boss MT-2, but something just doesn't seem right about my Overdrive problems.

So, would this be my cab? Would Vintage 30's bring out my sustain and distortion more, or am I just being too nitpicky?
DETHKLOK IS TEH ROXORZ!!!
I personally think that vintage 30s sound terrible.

They're good I guess if you into high gain metal.
Quote by al112987
I personally think that vintage 30s sound terrible.

They're good I guess if you into high gain metal.

I really want something that's very versatile. Something that's great for clean, but can make an amp squeal in distortion.
Quote by Riffomatic_5000
Are they anywhere near as great as what so many people say? I mean, I know a lot of guitar players swear by them, but are they really that special?

i was just asking myself this question last week actually. i've played with cabs that had 30's in them and i was definitely impressed at the load they can handle without getting overpowered but i'm not sure they are as good as people say. i think that they are really good speakers BUT i think the hype is because they have a good PR team and got a few REALLY great artists to play them.
I heard that the Veteran 30 clone by WGS is slightly darker/warmer voiced and may be better than original but I don't know. I'll guess I'll know soon once I get one. They are cheaper than V30s so that may help you a bit. See if you can find the Ultimate Speaker Thread. Very smart folks on there and it can't be but a few pages back.

good luck,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I heard that the Veteran 30 clone by WGS is slightly darker/warmer voiced and may be better than original but I don't know. I'll guess I'll know soon once I get one. They are cheaper than V30s so that may help you a bit. See if you can find the Ultimate Speaker Thread. Very smart folks on there and it can't be but a few pages back.

good luck,

Thanks, bro.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I heard that the Veteran 30 clone by WGS is slightly darker/warmer voiced

i've heard of those. i don't know of anyone that uses them though. do they come standard in any cabs?
You could maybe mix speakers in an empty cab. Like half vintage 30's, half eminence or whatever you like.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
go with the vintage 30's. unless you like a little more low end crunch. then you might consider the g12k 75's

if i remember correctly, youre hartke cab has celestion seventy 80's? those aren't a bad speaker. swapping those with the 30's, youre not going to notice all that much of a difference.

to me, it sounds like u amp just doesnt have the sound youre after. if you can, go try out a peavey jsx.

how about your guitar? what do you got? a set of emg's might help you out quite a bit if your using lower end pickups
Quote by Riffomatic_5000

See, I got a Traynor YCS100H Custom Special a while back, and I have been extremely happy with it, but I can't seem to get the killer distortion tone that so many people have said that it possesses. Actually, the distortion is great with chords, but it's not so wonderful with solo's. I've tweaked it and everything, but nothing really seems to change. I know of a fact that it's not the head, because everyone I have talked to about the amp as said that it can kick out sustain and distortion like nothing else, but I'm not seeing that. I bought a Hartke GH412A for the amp because I could not afford anything with Vintage 30's. I'm thinking that this is probably my problem my problem. Right now I can get a beautiful solo tone through my clean channel with my Boss MT-2, but something just doesn't seem right about my Overdrive problems.

So, would this be my cab? Would Vintage 30's bring out my sustain and distortion more, or am I just being too nitpicky?

V30 are great speakers imo, I really like the way they record and sound live. It's very dependent on the specific amp to me though, and cab construction/design plays a part too. I don't really care for them when using an amp with a very pronounced midrange, like old Marshalls, Splawns, etc... They have a lot of upper presence, and they have a hump in the upper mids frequency range that I think messes with an already powerful midrange. It almost sounds like it washes out some of the texture for some reason. They will sound different to me in different cabs too. I normally don't care for them in OS cabs, they can tend to get a little sloppy IME. However, I have an OS V30 cab right now that I absolutely love, which comes down to design/materials/construction.

What kind of speakers are in the Hartke BTW? I would also be more inclined to try throwing an OD as a boost over your lead channel(overdrive 0-9:00, level 2:00+) first, and see if that helps some. Also, how old are the tubes in it?

I've been eying those WGS speakers too, they really seemed like a bargain. However, their recent price increase has put them closer to other speakers that have more of a reputation. A lot of people seem to really like them, but I've also seen quite a few people talking about theirs failing as of late. Their QC is a little lazy too IMO, I've seen a bunch of people get them with the magnets off center on the back. I emailed them about it, and was told that it doesn't affect the speaker/sound, so it shouldn't be a problem. I wanted to hear it was a problem that wasn't happening anymore. They are only about $10-15 cheaper than Eminence at this point, and if you shop around, you can get Celestion for close to the same price if you're buying by the case(4).
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by gordy420
if i remember correctly, youre hartke cab has celestion seventy 80's? those aren't a bad speaker. swapping those with the 30's...

If it does have Seventy 80's, those are some really great speakers with a tremendous low end response to them. I had a Randall Cab loaded with them once, and it was probably my favorite cab i've ever owned. Right now I've got an older Marshall cab (Bought it for 20 bucks, original speakers were blown) loaded with 2 Eminence Texas Heats and 2 Seventy 80's.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Quote by Flux'D
If it does have Seventy 80's, those are some really great speakers with a tremendous low end response to them. I had a Randall Cab loaded with them once, and it was probably my favorite cab i've ever owned. Right now I've got an older Marshall cab (Bought it for 20 bucks, original speakers were blown) loaded with 2 Eminence Texas Heats and 2 Seventy 80's.

interesting combo, I'm running a cab with V30 X Texas Heats, and I really like how they compliment eachother.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
In a Word. NO.

The vintage 30 is a good speaker. But not the holy grail by any means. It is NOT good for high gain metal. 30 watts is too low a power rating a they break too much loosing clarity.

They sound best in medium gain amps like jcm 800's or older fenders. Its a classic rock speaker,
Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM 900
peavey 5150

Mesa 4x12
Quote by Ubershall404
30 watts is too low a power rating a they break too much loosing clarity.

actually the power handling of the V30 is 60 watts

Vintage 30's are brilliant speakers when paired with an amp that has been voiced the right way for them. Generally you dont want to pair them with an amp with lots of treble and lots of midrange. If the voicing of the amp is a good match, the V30 will sound smooth, rich and tight.
Last edited by XtAsY2007 at Aug 21, 2008,
i'm more than certain the Traynor cabs that come with the ycs series are already loaded with V30's.

I'm guessing they go together pretty well if they pair them up right off the hop.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by Flux'D
Seventy 80s have barely any bass, they're a hilariously average speaker.

And yeah, Vintage 30s are good. I mean, there's a reason I made a speaker thread, in the same way there's a reason Celestion sell them.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by Ubershall404
It is NOT good for high gain metal. 30 watts is too low a power rating a they break too much loosing clarity.

They sound best in medium gain amps like jcm 800's or older fenders. Its a classic rock speaker,

lol, that's kind of a ridiculous statement man, you need to put IMO in that first sentence. First, they are 60W, and they've been used on a ton of metal albums. They work good for mid gain apps, but greenbacks sound much better paired with a JCM imo.
amp clips
amp vids
70/80's are CRAP. Flabby lowend, in my experience. Don't know what amp you're using with them, but I don't like them at all.

And V30's are excellent for metal, and they're also rated at 60 watts. They don't sound ANYWHERE near "vintage" speakers either.

Erock, do you really hear a mid hump in the V30's, I always notice a mid scoop, not to mention the frequency charts by Celestion show that as well.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Last edited by Reincaster at Aug 21, 2008,
Quote by Reincaster
Erock, do you really hear a mid hump in the V30's, I always notice a mid scoop, not to mention the frequency charts by Celestion show that as well.

yeah, compared to something like a greenback or G12T75, I hear a hump there. If you look at the charts, compare the V30 to other speakers in the 1k to 2k range. It looks small, but that 4-5 dB SPL difference can be quite apparent.
amp clips
amp vids
The V30 was originally designed for the Marshall Studio 15. Marshall's only 6V6 based amplifier. It was developed to be a low cost ceramic speaker that would emulate the expensive Celestion Blue G12. XtAsY2007 is right in saying that you need to pair it with the right amp. It will not do well with an amp that high lot's of highs and mids. They are smooth with a very present mid range. They are 60w and they have been used on plenty of rock and metal recordings. Fantastic speaker. Speakers are all subjective though. I have a buddy who plays in a pretty well known thrash band and these made his amp sound to pretty. He needed greenbacks to dirty up his tone a bit. It really depends on the application.
they're good if you like them and they suit your amp and style of music...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I think the Seventy 80 rather sucks and the V30 is extremely overrated. The Texas Heats or maybe Eminence Swamp Thangs would be more my speed.

But I think the real issue here is the Harkte cab, which is particularly low end. A better constructed 2x12 with a pair of quality speakers would go a long way towards improving your sound, IMHO.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by Horlicks
Seventy/80's are sucky, I don't know why you would like them.

well i wouldnt say theyre 'sucky'. they arent great either though. i would take them without question over what marshall puts in their mg & avt cabs. now THOSE are sucky. really sucky...

in one of my cabs i have V30's and g12k100's. seems to me to be a good combo..
Quote by gordy420
go with the vintage 30's. unless you like a little more low end crunch. then you might consider the g12k 75's

if i remember correctly, youre hartke cab has celestion seventy 80's? those aren't a bad speaker. swapping those with the 30's, youre not going to notice all that much of a difference.

to me, it sounds like u amp just doesnt have the sound youre after. if you can, go try out a peavey jsx.

how about your guitar? what do you got? a set of emg's might help you out quite a bit if your using lower end pickups

Wow, this thread took off while I was asleep, lol.

Now, to answer your question. I think the problem might be in my pickups, because they are just the stock pickups that came with my Ibanez. While they are powerful pickups, they are a little too bassy, and some times that can drown out leads. I've been meaning to get them changed out, but I've been lazy and kind of undecided on what pickups to change them with. I've leaned towards EMG's, but I also want something that can compliment my clean channel.

Quote by Erock503
V30 are great speakers imo, I really like the way they record and sound live. It's very dependent on the specific amp to me though, and cab construction/design plays a part too. I don't really care for them when using an amp with a very pronounced midrange, like old Marshalls, Splawns, etc... They have a lot of upper presence, and they have a hump in the upper mids frequency range that I think messes with an already powerful midrange. It almost sounds like it washes out some of the texture for some reason. They will sound different to me in different cabs too. I normally don't care for them in OS cabs, they can tend to get a little sloppy IME. However, I have an OS V30 cab right now that I absolutely love, which comes down to design/materials/construction.

What kind of speakers are in the Hartke BTW? I would also be more inclined to try throwing an OD as a boost over your lead channel(overdrive 0-9:00, level 2:00+) first, and see if that helps some. Also, how old are the tubes in it?

I've been eying those WGS speakers too, they really seemed like a bargain. However, their recent price increase has put them closer to other speakers that have more of a reputation. A lot of people seem to really like them, but I've also seen quite a few people talking about theirs failing as of late. Their QC is a little lazy too IMO, I've seen a bunch of people get them with the magnets off center on the back. I emailed them about it, and was told that it doesn't affect the speaker/sound, so it shouldn't be a problem. I wanted to hear it was a problem that wasn't happening anymore. They are only about $10-15 cheaper than Eminence at this point, and if you shop around, you can get Celestion for close to the same price if you're buying by the case(4).

I'm honestly not sure what type speakers they are. I do know that they are Celestion, but all I was told is that they are Custom Celestion speakers. They might indeed be Seventy 80's, but I couldn't tell you. I need research on it. The thing definitely has a lot of low end.

Right now, I use a EQ on my distortion channel with the mids boosted a little bit more, and that really kicks the amp above 11. I mean, it sounds absolutely wonderful when I step on that EQ. I plan on buying and OD soon, also.
Wow, I didn't mean to upset so many people in referring to Seventy 80's. I think they're a terrific speaker for metal. Maybe they have to be paired with the right head also? I dunno, I've had lots of good luck with them.

The 200G3 Randall Amp that I used to have had those loaded in it. It was by far the bassiest combo I've ever owned. And also the Randall Cab I mentioned eariler sounded heavy as hell with an older 5150.

BTW I'm not a huge Randall fan, it just so happens I've came across a lot of their stuff in Pawn shops for nuthin'
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Last edited by Flux'D at Aug 21, 2008,
Quote by Ubershall404
In a Word. NO.

The vintage 30 is a good speaker. But not the holy grail by any means. It is NOT good for high gain metal. 30 watts is too low a power rating a they break too much loosing clarity.

I shall kill you NOW

You just made a post that is VERY incorrect. The Vintage 30 is 60W to start with, 30 stands for 30cm (12"), but that's a common mistake. However the speaker has a decent headroom really.

Also they are actually best stuidet for HIGH gain amps lacking mids. They are for metal and hard rock.

Your impression is SO wrong! To start with, that speaker is VERY mid heavy meaning that with a midd-y amp (classic rock amps) you will get WAy too much mids, resulting in a biting tone that is WAY too agressive for classic rock. Trust me on this one. I play classic rock and blues and guress what my Orange cmae with as stock? A Vintage 30. Guess what I had to change as soon as I could? The Vintage 30. It's WAY too agressive for a classic rock speaker. That speaker is good for dark amps lacking in mids. It can also handle quite a bit of gain too.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by Riffomatic_5000
Wow, this thread took off while I was asleep, lol.

Now, to answer your question. I think the problem might be in my pickups, because they are just the stock pickups that came with my Ibanez. While they are powerful pickups, they are a little too bassy, and some times that can drown out leads. I've been meaning to get them changed out, but I've been lazy and kind of undecided on what pickups to change them with. I've leaned towards EMG's, but I also want something that can compliment my clean channel.

i have a couple guitars with the emg 81/85 setup. the 85 in the neck position is pretty decent for cleans. from what i hear though, the emg 60 might be a little better for cleans. definately go with the 81 in the bridge though. or if you want an even higher output pickup, the seymour duncan livewire metal is borderline INSANE..
Quote by aberrant
The V30 was originally designed for the Marshall Studio 15. Marshall's only 6V6 based amplifier. It was developed to be a low cost ceramic speaker that would emulate the expensive Celestion Blue G12. XtAsY2007 is right in saying that you need to pair it with the right amp. It will not do well with an amp that high lot's of highs and mids. They are smooth with a very present mid range. They are 60w and they have been used on plenty of rock and metal recordings. Fantastic speaker. Speakers are all subjective though. I have a buddy who plays in a pretty well known thrash band and these made his amp sound to pretty. He needed greenbacks to dirty up his tone a bit. It really depends on the application.

+ 1

like alot of the other posters have stated...it really depends on what amp you put them with,...

i know they are amazing with my xxx....

if you have the option of taking your amp and trying out some different cabs with different speakers...and then let your own ears dictate your choice....then there will be no expensive guessing.

good luck