Hi everyone,

Today my brother discovered a used Marshall Micro Stack (MG15MSII).
Right now he is playing with a Roland Cube 30W but he will soon have to buy his own amp because the Cube doesn't belong to him.

I told him to wait before buying it, because he was ready to pay 250$ (canadian $) for a used 15W amp without even trying it. Today, I found a used MG100DFX Combo for 400$.

I think it would be better to buy the 100W marshall combo instead of a 15W ministack. Of course he loves the fact that it is a "stack" and it looks better than the 100W, but he will never be able to play with other musicians with it.

Right now he only plays in his room, so the ministack could do the job, but I think 250$ for a 15W is a rip-off and it is a waste because if he ever wants to play with someone, he will have to buy another bigger amp.

What advice would you give to my bro? MG15MSII, MG100DFX or else?

1. He did not try either amp
2. He plays with me sometimes (I'm a bassist with a 100W amp)

Please answer quick!
Last edited by kamikazee1989 at Aug 21, 2008,
No VS really it's like having 2 deaf guys in a tone death match. Nobody wins.

I can't even imagine how I'd feel after playing a cube 30 to have a shiney new micro stack showup and plug into it.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Last edited by scott58 at Aug 21, 2008,
Marshall MGs are the most hated amps in these forums... Marshall microstack can be used as decoration if you have money to waste, but other than that don't plug anything into it.
MGs are absolutely terrible.
if he gets one he'll want his money back after about a week
DON'T HIRE RON WILSON
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Peavey, Roland, Vox - look into these brands!

Lol thanks for the replies! As I was waiting for answers, I browsed the forum a bit and found out by myself the general opinion about MGs haha

Oh well...He will be a bit disappointed because he dreamt about owning a marshall amp for years, and thought it was the perfect match for his epiphone LP (he's a Slash fan).

Peavey, Roland and Vox eh? thanks for the info di$TOrTed and i_am_metalhead!

Do you have any particular model in mind for pratice and small gigs? (price range: 0$-500$ CAN or US)
Well, if he wants a Marshall-like tone for teh cheap, look into a Peavey Windsor Studio. Runs new for around 300 USD.

EDIT: Since you live in Canadia, look for Traynor as well.
mmmk...But still there he would pay 300$ for a 20W amp...

I may be a noob when it comes to guitar amps, but why does everyone here always recommend tube amps? The cube 30 is a solid state and it is good, no?

Is there any good amp, Solid or tube, in the 50W-100W range, stack or combo, capable of playing many styles (my bro loves metallica, slash and santana), between 1$ and 500$?
Peavey Windsor and Traynors are great options.

Can your brother buy used gear?

Peavey Valveking's tone stack is based of Mashall tone stack I hear and is worth a look. Also check the new Peavey Vypyr modelling amps, Peavey Classic 30, Roland Cube 30 and 60, Vox Valvetronix series, Blackhearts, Crates are on sale, other stuff.

Depends on Music played and new or used?
Like I wrote while you were probably writing too eheh..

He plays the following stuff:
metallica
Slash
Santana
heavy metal stuff
old rock

he plays a lot of different stuff you know...

And I don't think he would mind buying used gear...at first he wanted to buy a used Marshall ministack so...
He doesn't need 50-100 watts, really.

20 watts is enough for small gigs, and medium gigs as well, since most places will mic you up.

Wattage isn't a really good measure of volume, anyway. AFAIK, a 15w AC15 is louder than a 22 watt Deluxe Reverb.

For Slash, Santana, and Classic Rock, you are going to want some powertube break up. 20w is still loud in home usage, but much more practical than 50.

But.

Traynor has at least 2 50w heads and combos worth looking at.

Peavey also has the 100w Windsor Head.

Also.

If he's just starting out, and unsure about what sound he wants/where he's going musically, a modeler will be the best option.

A Peavey Vypyr or a Valvetronix would work, in that case.
ok, thanks imgooley! I'll go check out these with him.

He's only been playing guitar for a year or so, but thats the only thing he did since then so he's getting rather good. I will ask him tomorrow (it is almost 3h in the morning here) but I'm pretty sure he's headed toward the metallica sound (althought he still loves slash's style).

you're probably right about wattage...its just that personally I love high volumes and I tried his cube 30 at max volume and thought just a bit louder would be awesome :P And he would also appreciate it the day he will want the house to shake to his music hehe
Oh and btw I remember a conversation I had with him where he told me he hated those modeled sounds that really don't sound like a real guit sound (the cube30 he is using right now has a great clean imo)
Bed time! Thanks for the help, and keep posting! I'll check it out tomorrow!

last question: except wattage, is there a difference between the cube30 and cube60?
watch the triple posts bro - it will get you trouble. Just use the Edit button at bottom right and add on that way. PS. I'm not a Roland expert so you may just have to look these up and find the differences. I believe there is more too it then simply the watts. good night.
If he doesn't like modelled sounds then a tube amp is the way to go, at least long term. It's really up to him - he can get something that does a job now, or save up and get something that'll last him for years. Just stay away from those MGs, the only similarity they have with the kind of Marshall Slash uses is the name on the front.

If $400 is doable then look around for a used Traynor YCV50 Blue, that'd suit him perfectly.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
If he doesn't like modelled sounds then a tube amp is the way to go, at least long term. It's really up to him - he can get something that does a job now, or save up and get something that'll last him for years. Just stay away from those MGs, the only similarity they have with the kind of Marshall Slash uses is the name on the front.

If $400 is doable then look around for a used Traynor YCV50 Blue, that'd suit him perfectly.

This man is right. Brilliant amp, and it's perfect for him.

For bedroom practice, I will say that 50W is overkill. But, it's manageable.
I used to have a 60W tube amp in my bedroom.
Click for charity.

Pidgeot of the Pokemon Club
PM Calebrocker to join.

92% of UGers jump on annoying bandwagons. Don't put this in your sig if you're one of the 8% with an opinion.