Here's the situation...

I recently bought a Peavey Valveking 112 and I have to say, it's not that great, skip 3 weeks ahead, I've found a Marshall JCM that's 24 years old and is only $950 AUD, so I plan to sell the Valveking, my VOX and my Fender amp to get the funds for it, all of the amps came out of my money.

I ask my Mum if I can sell my stuff so I can buy the amp, she says yes, so I intend to sell them, she allows me to contact the seller and get info about the amp, so I start to think: "Awesome, going to get an old Marshall and make a few hundred dollars or so in the process."

Today I ask my Mum if she's free on the weekend to drive me to test out the amp and she goes: "You're not allowed to buy it."

Why the **** did she let me contact the seller in the first place if the answer was no? It's my money, I'm making a profit out of it and less space will be taken up around the house, so what is the problem? I've already explained to her that the amp is THE best out for its price and that it'd be the last amplifier purchase I'd make because it's an old Marshall (very good).

But the answer's still no

What the ****!?
Bummer.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
Gain the trust of the fleas, then breed with their women, and, after time, our differences will be settled...
Quote by Agent Paul Smecker
They had no idea what they were in for. Now they're staring at six men with guns drawn. It was a f***ing ambush.
This was a f***ing bomb dropping on Beaver Cleaverville. For a few seconds, this place was Armageddon!
There was a firefight!
is ur mom hot?
Fender American Special Telecaster
Blackstar HT-5
Wren and Cuff Tall Font Russian
BBE Sonic Stomp
Mojo Hand FX Recoil Delay
Empress ParaEQ
Maybe ur mom is a rock mom, and its her amp, and when u rang she was like S**T! I CANT LET HIM FIND OUT IM REALLY OZZY OSBOURNE!!!!
Quote by Shayne777
is ur mom hot?

+1

Parents are bitches sometimes/most of the time.
None of your friends could drive you to test it? Well, if not, you could always take a taxi, as you said you'd be making a few hundred off of your other amps so you could always do that and spend a little bit more but still end up with the amp that you want. Other than that, I wouldn't know what to do other than try to convince her that she's being unfair.
Ask her until she budges.

Fair isn't the question though. Parents are rarely, if ever, fair. Logical sometimes, but fair, almost never.
Quote by Randy Bobandy
Because women don't know anything about music.

excuse me?

so, i guess, being female musician, i know nothing about music,

get your head on straight dickhead.
Quote by reneeGHOUL
excuse me?

You've forgotten something, dear: This is the Pit.

Anyway, take a cab. If you can't buy it with your own money, then how is it your money in the first place? Is your mother holding it for you or something?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by rocker138
Gain the trust of the fleas, then breed with their women, and, after time, our differences will be settled...

+1 for the family guy reference
↓↑ MISDIRECT ↑↓

The (Rather Basic) Rig:
- 1982 Marshall JCM 800 2204 (Feels good, man)
- 1960 Marshall AV Cab (Vintage 30s, Feels good, man)
- A shitty MIM strat
- Fulltone OCD (Jizztastic)
- Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Quote by reneeGHOUL
excuse me?

It was written as a joke to lighten up TS's bogus predicament, douchebucket.
Have you tried asking her why, maybe?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Quote by reneeGHOUL
excuse me?

Excuse ME

I believe the kitchen's THAT way *points to kitchen*
They had no idea what they were in for. Now they're staring at six men with guns drawn. It was a f***ing ambush.
This was a f***ing bomb dropping on Beaver Cleaverville. For a few seconds, this place was Armageddon!
There was a firefight!
Just have a straight up talk with her; tell her that not every amp sounds the same and that there are huge differences with everything involving gear, and if she doesn't believe you then invite her along to listen to the new amp and what you have now.. if she still can't tell a difference than I really have no idea. I've always bought my own stuff so I've never been in the same boat as you.
Quote by Final
Just have a straight up talk with her; tell her that not every amp sounds the same and that there are huge differences with everything involving gear, and if she doesn't believe you then invite her along to listen to the new amp and what you have now.. if she still can't tell a difference than I really have no idea. I've always bought my own stuff so I've never been in the same boat as you.

I don't think that argument wil work simply because the non-musically inclined don't really understand the concept of tone. Hell, I didn't before I started playing guitar - and thus every tone sounds the same unless they're really listening. The only differences were the differences between instruments for me.

However you could point to the fact that there are millions of amps in the world today and that there's no chance that they all sound the same, just like all TVs don't display images in the same quality and such, etc.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Sup Guyz Wanna Play Some Yahtzee?!
There was a firefight!
Quote by Final

Well I don't think that is even going to matter to her. I don't think she would even be able to tell the difference between amps in the first place if she is like most moms she will be musically retarded. Mine can't tell the the difference between a guitar and a bass. The point is she is just being like most parents are and being a control c u n t.
Hypothetically, of course, from her point of view, the last amp you bought (The Valveking) was the "best thing ever", according to you (although you may not have said this, she probably assumed that you would be happy with this purchase) thus she doesn't understand why you could possibly want another one so quickly. I think this would be where she jumped to the thought that you're going to keep buying and selling amps and that you're never going to be satisfied, right?

I don't see why that should matter, though - if you do keep trading you're only going to get higher quality stuff and even make a little bit of money in the process. But seeing as you're not going to keep going back and forth, this is quite a conundrum.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Quote by Raijouta
Hypothetically, of course, from her point of view, the last amp you bought (The Valveking) was the "best thing ever", according to you (although you may not have said this, she probably assumed that you would be happy with this purchase) thus she doesn't understand why you could possibly want another one so quickly. I think this would be where she jumped to the thought that you're going to keep buying and selling amps and that you're never going to be satisfied, right?

I don't see why that should matter, though - if you do keep trading you're only going to get higher quality stuff and even make a little bit of money in the process. But seeing as you're not going to keep going back and forth, this is quite a conundrum.

I guess you're right, but my Mum is pretty stubborn, once she has an answer, it's extremely difficult to convince her the opposite...
I will clone my mom, and give the clone to you. Then you will have the coolest mom in the world! well, second coolest!
Go to the Guitar Gear & Accessories board, look around for Valveking information.

Apparently they are not all that great stock, but a few modifications bring them up to speed (so I hear) eg. tubes and speakers
Quote by FbSa
Back in the 70's I decided to take all the frets off Jaco's Bass thinking he would play worse. Man did that backfire.

[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']FUCK YES.

GSAWS, I LOVE YOU.
Quote by Gsaws
Go to the Guitar Gear & Accessories board, look around for Valveking information.

Apparently they are not all that great stock, but a few modifications bring them up to speed (so I hear) eg. tubes and speakers

I was thinking about a speaker upgrade for the amp, but, I really want the Marshall because it's old and it's cheaper than many of the other Valve amps out there and the quality is much better.
If you really do have $950 AUD and your mom won't let you buy an amp, as recommended by Gsaws, the best thing to do would be to upgrade it.

You might want to look into a Maxon OD808 overdrive pedal, some speakers or some cabs to hook the VK up to. I've heard Avatar makes great cabs for cheap prices - best bang for your buck. Also look into Vader cabinets and Marshall 1960 cabs (although you might not want to do this as it may rekindle the sting of your amp deal gone awry)

And a noise gate - you're going to want one if you do bite the bullet and just upgrade the VK. The ISP Decimator is a great noise suppressor, used one before - couldn't buy it because I was out of money, though.

But really, keep trying to convince her. If you're persistent, maybe, just maybe, you'll get through to her.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Quote by rocker138
Sup Guyz Wanna Play Some Yahtzee?!

turns caps off and stop spamming

there really isn't too much I can personlly do to budge my parents. just be good and do the dishes
Quote by innertom
So much down syndrome

remember UG Community? thought so.