Hey I'm still fairly new to guitar playing (about 8 months) and have invested some time into music theory. But once I hear talk about modes or blues and jazz, i get totally lost. Does anyone know a good book about music theory? or should i just stick to google-ing it?
Epiphone G-310 SG
Epiphone Hummingbird
Yamaha CG-101
Peavey Classic 30
well there's a load of good stuff on this site...
like - http://ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/for_beginners/learning_music_theory_the_beginning.html
that, and the crusade.

there's also a bunch of stuff elsewhere on the internet if you want links i'll dig 'em up for you, but i was suggested an idiot's guide to music theory, haven't picked it up yet unfortunately, so i can only recommend it by word of mouth.

the good thing about a book would be is it is more accessible as it is done by professionals and on the internet it's most undoubtedly not, rather just knowledgeable individuals prepared to spare some time for poor folk like us. because this is the case they probably don't waste their time reading over their work, therefore errors are inevitable. also with books you will usually get more of a walk through experience telling you exactly what to do, and when.

actually it might have been music theory for dummies...i don't remember haha.
Last edited by tona_107 at Aug 21, 2008,
Quote by tona_107
i was suggested an idiot's guide to music theory

The Idiot's Guide to Music Theory held in public library FTW!

First time I've ever used that.

I took a gander at it, and I have to look over it again because there are some things I thought I already knew. Lots of (good, understandable)info and guitar stuff in the appendix, too.
someone really needs to get around to scanning the whole book and putting it on the internet ahah, why should the library get all the glory for giving out books for free, HMM?
Last edited by tona_107 at Aug 21, 2008,
^I'd prefer learning from a book; more attention to it while AWAY from the computer, rather than reading it on computer and get constantly interrupted by your friends to watch youtube videos through aim.
Quote by SilverDark

First time I've ever used that.

I took a gander at it, and I have to look over it again because there are some things I thought I already knew. Lots of (good, understandable)info and guitar stuff in the appendix, too.

+1.

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Music Theory by Michael Miller is great.
You are like a hurricane
There's calm in your eye.
And I'm gettin' blown away
To somewhere safer
where the feeling stays.
I want to love you but
I'm getting blown away.
Quote by SilverDark
+1

And when you finish that, Mark Levine has a theory book thats a little more advanced.

Quote by tona_107
someone really needs to get around to scanning the whole book and putting it on the internet ahah, why should the library get all the glory for giving out books for free, HMM?
You, good sir, should learn to use the internet. Remember, google is your friend, and so it rapidshare and megaupload and torrents (get the hint)
Quote by estranged_g_n_r
+1.

Quote by demonofthenight
+1

Woo! People agree to what I'm saying!

And also if anyone wants anything interactive on their computer (which wouldn't be a book...), there's "Alfred's essentials of music theory", a CD that begins on the bare basics, from notation to dynamics, all the way to advanced. CD also gives out tests. Very fun to use.
I like the book Guitar Logic Patterns for improvisation. It teaches theory and also how to apply it to guitar and has a huge section in the back full of chord scales,many other scales and modes in every key signature. Its good for referance later on.
Read the Crusade articles in the columns section - you need to start at the beginning. There's no point trying to learn everything at once, you just end up confusing yourself...you certainly don't need to be worrying about stuff like modes after just 8 months of playing.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Seems like the idiots guide to music theory sounds pretty good...i'll probably check out the library to see if they have it. Does it apply it to guitar or does it just teach music theory?
Epiphone G-310 SG
Epiphone Hummingbird
Yamaha CG-101
Peavey Classic 30
http://www.zentao.com/guitar/theory/

That website is freaking amazing. It's saved my life on numerous occasions.
Play the music, not the instrument. ~Author Unknown

blackzeppelion
Who's the band that could become the next led zeppelin?
Ovenman
Iron blimp.
J.A.M
Aluminum helicopter.
Ovenman
*Breaks out periodic table* Magnesium bi-plane.
It's not really centered on the guitar, it applies to music in general. I think it tells you where middle C is, and there might've been one of those chord charts in the back. The Idiot's Guide is really useful and informative though.
Quote by demonofthenight
+1

And when you finish that, Mark Levine has a theory book thats a little more advanced.

You, good sir, should learn to use the internet. Remember, google is your friend, and so it rapidshare and megaupload and torrents (get the hint)

you, good sir, are a great person.
Quote by estranged_g_n_r
+1.

+1,000,000.

That book is my default recommendation for a good reason.
I just got my theory book yesterday, I asked the guy at the store about it, and he asked me what I knew about theory, I told him what I learned from the site, and he told me I already knew most of the stuff that would be covered in that book, and that I should not get it.

so despite what alot of people here say, I'm gonna advise against spending 30$ on that book when you can learn the majority of what it covers online.

The book I got is called : Elementary Rudiments Of Music by Barbara Wharram.

Apparently it's been around for the past 40 years or so, but they updated it recently.

It's kinda like a work book, it teaches you how to read sheet music....the book is REALLY good, it's kinda like a work book too, it has exercises for you to do. I advise you to take a good look at it if you can.
Quote by Dandaman4716
Hey I'm still fairly new to guitar playing (about 8 months) and have invested some time into music theory. But once I hear talk about modes or blues and jazz, i get totally lost. Does anyone know a good book about music theory? or should i just stick to google-ing it?

LOL, I empathize with you about modes. They used to drive me nuts.

Hey I have an idea. You don't need a whole book on music theory. Get quick answers to your music theory questions with the Guitar Wheel music theory tool. You can pick one up for less than the price of half hour guitar lesson. $14.99. It's got a side for guitar chords and scales and the back side is good for just about anything else you need music theory related. You can buy the Guitar Wheel from the website, Alfred Publishing, Amazon.com, or maybe a music store. I have the Guitar Wheel and I refer to it a lot when I am writing music and trying to figure out new chords and melodies I hear in my head. It's great for me because I can select any key I want and quickly see chords, notes and scales in the key and begin improvising from there. Works great for major or minor keys. Oh and the transposing section on the back is very handy.

I picked this up from Alfred Music Publishing's website about it:
The Guitar Wheel is a visual two-sided music theory tool for guitar and piano, covering every musical key. The Guitar Wheel contains a book's worth of music theory, while still fitting in your guitar case. The curved guitar neck design allows for easy visualization of theory on the guitar. This is an excellent teaching aid for schools, colleges, and universities.