As I consider new head/cabinet options, i've been trying to sort out my issues with my current rig. My tone is a bit too much on the mid/trebly end, and i not getting a whole lot of tight bass. Also, the bass that I do have is a bit flubby to be truthful.

My cab is a Genz Bezn g-flex 2x12, which is an extremely nice cab, so I dont know whats wrong. I run a les paul custom, with stock pickups for the time being, but I have tried it with EMG/SD Blackouts, and the problem is similar. Are there solutions to this with say a pedal, or is it my cab?
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
what kind of speakers are in the g-flex? its possible that they just don't really compliment the 6505+

otherwise, a tubescreamer pedal is good for tightening up the bottom end.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
GBE 1240-V75 speakers.

Apparantly they are made by genz benz.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
What's your EQ set at man? Turn the Resonance up if you want more lows, sometimes it helps fatten the low end sound up more than the actual bass knob.
2008 Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
Ive tried all sorts of eq's. Right now i usually keep it around:

Pre: 6.5
Low: 7
Mid: 5.5
High 7-7.5

Resonance: 7.5-8
Presance: 6.5-7
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Quote by dcdossett65
Ive tried all sorts of eq's. Right now i usually keep it around:

Pre: 6.5
Low: 7
Mid: 5.5
High 7-7.5

Resonance: 7.5-8
Presance: 6.5-7
That's interesting. The low end should be huge set that way man. My first thought would be that there is something wrong with the head when you say its EQ'd like that and the low end isn't defined enough.

I'd actually try a retube first, then go about adding an OD. You should also consider, that maybe the 6505+ isn't for you? I had a 5150, and now 8 months later I've just switched to ENGL.
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
Quote by rwalby9
That's interesting. The low end should be huge set that way man. My first thought would be that there is something wrong with the head when you say its EQ'd like that and the low end isn't defined enough.

I'd actually try a retube first, then go about adding an OD. You should also consider, that maybe the 6505+ isn't for you? I had a 5150, and now 8 months later I've just switched to ENGL.

I was about to retube it if that turned out to be the problem. The sound is a bit flat as well.

AS i said in the first post im still consdiering switching to randall if I have to.

I dont want to give up on the head yet, but its making me angry not getting and guts ot of this thing. Ill go try some 6505+ heads hooked up to other cabs and see if that is the problem. As long as were here, Im not sure on which OD to buy. Ive pretty much narrowed it down to either the maxon od9 or ts808.

Opinions?
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
How would that affect anything?
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
I have a 15 band equalizer and it helps a lot for dialing in the lows on my 6505+. I can get an extremely low sound out of it. Honestly I don't really like using settings on the head itself. I just put all of the settings on the 6505+ to 5 except for res and pres.
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Silverburst 500t/490r
Mesa Boogie Single Rectifier Rect-O-Verb Series 2 Head
Carvin vt412 4x12 cabinet
Quote by dcdossett65
I was about to retube it if that turned out to be the problem. The sound is a bit flat as well.

AS i said in the first post im still consdiering switching to randall if I have to.

I dont want to give up on the head yet, but its making me angry not getting and guts ot of this thing. Ill go try some 6505+ heads hooked up to other cabs and see if that is the problem. As long as were here, Im not sure on which OD to buy. Ive pretty much narrowed it down to either the maxon od9 or ts808.

Opinions?
I use an aggresive 808 clone. The 9 is a bit more modern, but either/or will help things. Just give them a try, but if you can't I'm sure you can't go wrong with either.
Quote by yoyodunno
Hey also try putting an instrument cable straight from the effects loop send into the return, it might help a little bit and doesn't cost anything.
Typically you'd do that if the effects loop jacks get dirty, but mostly in the 5150's, not 6505's because they're newer. Plus if that was the issue, he'd be getting much quieter and crappier sound, with a buzzing.
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
Ok that helps a lot thanks.

Also, how exactly do you set a OD in front of an already blistering high gain amp? Do you turn down the gain on the amp, and turn it up on the pedal?
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Quote by dcdossett65
Ok that helps a lot thanks.

Also, how exactly do you set a OD in front of an already blistering high gain amp? Do you turn down the gain on the amp, and turn it up on the pedal?
Well, some people do it differently.

My preference is to turn the gain down to 3 on the head, max the level and gain then adjust the tone from there.

Others like to keep the gain on the head where they like it, but max the level and keep the gain at 0 while adjusting the tone (commonly around 11-12 o'clock).
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
I guess ill just have to mess with it then.

I plan on ordering the OD and noise gate soon. I cant believe i have gone this long without a noise gate. Although you dont realy need it for house playing, ill be doing gigs soon so itl be a necessity.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
New cab dude. Either a deeper 2x12 or a 4x12. Did wonders for me.
Quote by forsaknazrael
How loud are you turning this thing?

+1 that could be your whole problem, you gotta get that post gain up to about 2 to get a good tone.
Maybe you just need a different cab, try a 412? See how that works.
Quote by thefitz
Interesting. It turns out that there are people on the forum who play an upright bass. I'll make a note of that.

*makes note*

*puts note on wall*

*stares at note for a minute*

*sits back down and resumes doing what I was doing*
i ran into the same problem with the genz benz cab,...seems like the porting of these cabs is all you hear untill you push the speakers ,... i had to turn up the amp to 12 oclock to get it to sound half way decent,...it's not your head,...it's the cab,...do your self a favor and try something with v-30's in it,..trust me...you will fall in love with your head ...

i think i have told you this in atleast 3 different posts,..if you have access to a mesa recto cab,...try it,..you will sell your soul to buy it!
At home I run around 1.5, but I have turned it up to around 3, and the bass still was not entierly there.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Quote by jessexxx
i ran into the same problem with the genz benz cab,...seems like the porting of these cabs is all you hear untill you push the speakers ,... i had to turn up the amp to 12 oclock to get it to sound half way decent,...it's not your head,...it's the cab,...do your self a favor and try something with v-30's in it,..trust me...you will fall in love with your head ...

i think i have told you this in atleast 3 different posts,..if you have access to a mesa recto cab,...try it,..you will sell your soul to buy it!

+1 to the Recto cab. I took my 6505 in to my store and plugged it into one and I almost creamed myself. As soon as I get my loan check it's off to the store