Does anyone know? Seriously i was just listening to one of his old albums called Santana Jam and the song titles are in Spanish and it's all instrumental (except for one song) theres lots of different drums used and Santana sounds awesome. Lately he wrote a song with Chad Kroeger. This song is absolutely terrible. In 20 years he has come from absolute brilliance to absolute crap.
Any thoughts?
Haven't you seen him in the crossroads videos with Clapton?
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
hey man he's Carlos Santana, he'll still play one note, and you can hear decades of musical evolution in terms of technique, phrasing, tonality and spiritual intent, spanning everything from jazz to rock to blues, bleeding out of that one note.

sure he's playing with a lot of commercial artists, and no doubt, his new albums don't hold a candle to any of his older albums. But at the same time, you've got to realize that he has evolved as a person, and I read in a recent interview, that he doesn't really care who he plays with anymore as long as he is still making music.

To be fair to him, even though he has achieved mainstream popularity, and his recent albums have been incredibly commercial, I will not go so far as to say that he sold out. Like I said at the beginning, the essence of Carlos Santana's guitar sound is still very much there, even if it is a tad over produced. Also one hopes that when young people today who listen to crap like Nickelback (sp?), and then chance upon Chad Kroeger singing on a Santana song, their ears will hopefully pickup on those transcendental guitar notes, and they'll find their way to old school Santana records.
The Chad Kroger songs in my opinion are good but they aren't great. Well he did really well with his Supernatural album a couple years back. But then again I never did listen to his old stuff...
i used to like his stuff, but in the end the incessant latin american rhythms just got a bit too much. it's technically all very clever but a bit repetetive.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
I really like Caravanserai also.

And I think He has a thread in the Classic Rock section.
It's Only Rock and Roll, But I like It
Santana,,Santana...hmmm...didn't he play in a martha stewart commercial...btw...what ever happened to martha stewart...
Quote by dr_john
i used to like his stuff, but in the end the incessant latin american rhythms just got a bit too much. it's technically all very clever but a bit repetetive.

hmm if you're referring to some of the stuff that he did in the 80s I can see that, 'cos some of his 80s albums I will concede border on latin american fuzak. however, his first 3 albums, and his work during his jazz fusion period are nothing short of ground breaking.
i was sort of thinking about 'the supernatural' which is from 2000. how would you rate that?
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
Quote by Axegrinder#9
sure he's playing with a lot of commercial artists, and no doubt, his new albums don't hold a candle to any of his older albums. But at the same time, you've got to realize that he has evolved as a person, and I read in a recent interview, that he doesn't really care who he plays with anymore as long as he is still making music.

I'm two-sided on this issue.

I admire the fact that he has attempted to evolve musically and incorporate himself into the world of modern mainstream music, but at the same time I feel that he has almost completely abandoned his own unique musical style and his once-so-obvious influences and roots.

When I have listened to Santana play with these artists he is merely an accompanying guitarist who plays uninspired fills (that are usually barely audible in the mix).

With Supernatural I felt that Santana was still very much Santana. While I at first admit to being hostile towards the direction Santana had been taking, I soon opened up and realized it was a damn good album. The Carlos Santana we had grown to know and love was very much alive.

Now when I listen to many of his newer songs I don't recognize him until there is mention of his name either on the screen (in a music video) or by the station DJ.

At this point in time I feel Carlos is in a desperate struggle to keep his name known by the younger audience.
Well, I've never really enjoyed Santanas playing. I can kinda see what people like in it, but his playing just doesn't please me at all. The only time I've really enjoyed him, was in 2001 or something. With Buddy Guy on Bring 'Em In. They play "I Put A Spell On You" which features the both of them playing some insanely wah drenched solos. Awesomeness.
My heart kinda broke when I saw Santana in that Macy's commercial with Carey and Trump. I just don't really like how he's evolved musically, BUT he's still the same ol' Santana in that when you hear him play in a song, you're damn sure that's him. Still, I respect his decision to "evolve" musically, but now I think he's just trying to retain popularity with the younger crowd and he shouldn't need to do that.

With that said, I LOVE his older albums, Santana, Abraxas, Santana III, I mean, I could just listen to them older and older. Now, his collaborations with all these artists, I can't bare to listen to most of them.
I have never regarded him as anything extraordinary, maybe because of his hideous uncontrolled vibrato or because of his nonexistent improvisational skills and poor technique. I have to admit, however, that the way he has progressed musically is very satisfying. His more recent "pop" albums are actually quite interesting. The duets with Michelle Branch (The Game Of Love) and Everlast (Put Your Lights On) are brilliant songs, regardless of how "pop" they are. Otherwise, Santana's discography is somewhat stale, albeit there are a few exceptions such as Europa or Samba Pa Ti.
Quote by Stratwizard
I have never regarded him as anything extraordinary, maybe because of his hideous uncontrolled vibrato or because of his nonexistent improvisational skills and poor technique. I have to admit, however, that the way he has progressed musically is very satisfying. His more recent "pop" albums are actually quite interesting. The duets with Michelle Branch (The Game Of Love) and Everlast (Put Your Lights On) are brilliant songs, regardless of how "pop" they are. Otherwise, Santana's discography is somewhat stale, albeit there are a few exceptions such as Europa or Samba Pa Ti.

son, you have serious issues. get laid, or smoke a joint man, I dunno how else your salvation will arrive. I won't even bother getting into this drivel.

get a reality check.
Quote by Axegrinder#9
son, you have serious issues. get laid, or smoke a joint man, I dunno how else your salvation will arrive. I won't even bother getting into this drivel.

get a reality check.

You're the one here who's in a dire need of a reality check. And lay off the goddamn drugs, maybe that way you can get back to the real world and get some sense in your posts. When it comes to getting laid, I'm pretty sure I get laid more than a delusional Indian junkie, who has an inflated ego.
Last edited by Stratwizard at Aug 23, 2008,
Quote by Stratwizard
You're the one here who's in a dire need of a reality check. And lay off the goddamn drugs, maybe that way you can get back to the real world and get some sense in your posts. When it comes to getting laid, I'm pretty sure I get laid more than a delusional Indian junkie, who has an inflated ego.

hahah "delusional Indian junkie" and "lay of the drugs". hah. I won't even bother defending myself. stick your tongue out of your own ass man, you'll find better things to taste.

I thought Finland was a hip country? guess the hipsters end at Holland and Germany. and from there on it's just frustrated white boys who don't have a life, and thus have to resort to extending their penises by playing self-righteously technically advanced music?

come on kid, you're better than that ja?
Quote by Axegrinder#9
hahah "delusional Indian junkie" and "lay of the drugs". hah. I won't even bother defending myself. stick your tongue out of your own ass man, you'll find better things to taste.

I thought Finland was a hip country? guess the hipsters end at Holland and Germany. and from there on it's just frustrated white boys who don't have a life, and thus have to resort to extending their penises by playing self-righteously technically advanced music?

come on kid, you're better than that ja?

Haha fair enough. That was just an example of same kind of ad hominems you usually throw at me when you try to defend your opinion. If you knew me any better though, you'd realize that I don't even like technically advanced music that much, and definitely not because of the level of technicality. Groove and soul is where it's at for me.
^ You know Alice Coltrane and John McLaughlin recorded separate albums with him. It'd be fair to agree that they know what's up.

I'm not sure how much Santana you've heard, or which albums you've heard. I will never claim that he's technically on par with Johnny Mc or say Al D', but the thing is within his scope of technical ability, he's able to express himself more than adequately. It is for the same reason, that despite being commercialized and well within the mainstream, and not having overtly superior technique, I STILL hold Slash in high regard as a musician and guitar player. And on the issue of technique, I will highly recommend that you listen to the live albums "Lotus" and "Moonflower" both from the 70s. Carlos plays some blistering shazz on those records which if you try and actually play yourself, you might not find as easy as you thought they'd be

Quote by Stratwizard
Groove and soul is where it's at for me.

yo if you can't find that in Santana's music, I don't know how to point that out to you, except I guess to say, VERY different strokes for different folks. I find Santana's music to be extremely organic, soulful and something that just demands that you get up and groove to it! Also, I read an interesting interview/article, where Santana said that one of the reasons he started incorporating the whole latin american percussion aspect was because he was interested in dem bitches getting down to his music and shaking their ass
Quote by Axegrinder#9
Also, I read an interesting interview/article, where Santana said that one of the reasons he started incorporating the whole latin american percussion aspect was because he was interested in dem bitches getting down to his music and shaking their ass

Yeah Santana is pretty underrated, probably because most people only know him from the mainstream crap (anything after Supernatural). I still love to listen to songs like Europa, Samba Pa Ti, El Farol, Moonflower, etc.
Quote by Axegrinder#9

I'm not sure how much Santana you've heard, or which albums you've heard.

Pretty much everything he's recorded. My dad owns his complete discography and thus I've been exposed to his music for almost my whole life, so I know what I'm talking about.

yo if you can't find that in Santana's music, I don't know how to point that out to you, except I guess to say, VERY different strokes for different folks. I find Santana's music to be extremely organic, soulful and something that just demands that you get up and groove to it! Also, I read an interesting interview/article, where Santana said that one of the reasons he started incorporating the whole latin american percussion aspect was because he was interested in dem bitches getting down to his music and shaking their ass

I never said that there's not groove or soul in his music. I just don't enjoy his guitar playing, whereas the "backing" band is on an completely other level. Also, I don't think it's actually Carlos' playing that makes the music groovy, it's more about, like you said, the percussionists and the other band.
i personally think its amazing he's still around and making good, popular music.

i mean, think about all the people who played at woodstock.

who else is alive, still making music, let alone music that comes in at the top of the charts?

even if you think "into the night" is formulaic, think about the last time you heard a real guitar solo played by a real guitarist on a hit record?

its been a while, eh?
Quote by T.S.R.
what?
if i were a midget...id go masturbate in public because...hey, im a midget and i can get away with anything

Quote by yawn
I heard Hitler was a pretty good guitarist back in his day...

Quote by guitar?
You're a towel.
Quote by les_paul_01
i personally think its amazing he's still around and making good, popular music.

i mean, think about all the people who played at woodstock.

That is pretty cool when you think about it.
It's Only Rock and Roll, But I like It