Page 1 of 2
I'm selling my old phone on eBay, starting at a fiver, and some guy just sent me an email saying this:

Hi Seller,
I'm Carl Brown located in West London,i'm interested in buying the item you display forsale urgently in ebay.com,if the item present working condition is good what is your last price for the item,i will like to buy the item as gift for my pastor wife that just relocated to Western Africa for her missionary project,but i'm always on tight schedule i will like to make instant offer of £300.00 due to urgent need of the item,i don't have time to place a bid for the item,i will like to know shipping charges to Western Africa via ROYAL EXPRESS MAIL ,payment will be made to you by Paypal or Money Order, get back to me with your paypal e-mail or your full address details with shipping charges to Western Africa for the payment transfer to you soonest,i want you to end the auction bidding for the item and contact me back for payment to you immediately.

Best Regards
Carl Brown

Does anyone know if this is a popular scam/fake or anything?

Just so you know, the phone is here http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=280258427786&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih=018 just so you can see that it's not particularly worth £300...

EDIT: Also notice he doesn't say what country he wants it sent to, just Western Africa... A bit vague
What the hell does it sound like to you?

Never believe in those things. I listed my PSP on Craigslist and got four of those kinds of emails.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
I got one when I was trying to shift my iPod on Amazon.

In general, when it comes to online money exchanges... Don't trust anything from anyone in Nigeria...

They sent me something that was meant to look like an email from Amazon saying that I'd sold my stuff... The fact it was littered with spelling and grammar errors made it so unconvincing it was laughable.
Yeah, sound legit, I'd do it!
Quote by Spoony_Bard
Dude I got these strings the other day that couldn't be tuned to higher than 4 octaves below middle C then I realized that they were shoelaces and they weren't making any sound at all.
Quote by urbanfox
I got one when I was trying to shift my iPod on Amazon.

In general, when it comes to online money exchanges... Don't trust anything from anyone in Nigeria...

Well he said HE'S from West London. Basically if i dont suddenly have a random £300 deposit in my PayPal account I'll assume it was someone who thinks it's funny and move on it's no big deal lol
Quote by MaxLees666
Well he said HE'S from West London. Basically if i dont suddenly have a random £300 deposit in my PayPal account I'll assume it was someone who thinks it's funny and move on it's no big deal lol

The one I got had an address in Plymouth...but they asked that I send it to somewhere in Lagos...
Quote by Survivalism
It's clearly false. Nobody is named "Carl Brown."

Lol I'm pretty sure someone is.

I'm new to these scams you see this is only the 2nd thing I've sold online.
Quote by MaxLees666

It's not funny. Some innocent (who happen to be very ignorant) people fall for this stuff.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Dude - he doesnt have time to PLACE A BID, but he has time to write that novel of an email? It's a clear fake to get yo details foo'
I don't understand what kind of scam this is because surely as long as you don't send the item half way round the world before they pay you you don't particularly lose anything right? Sounds a bit lame to me lol. Oh by the way don't get me wrong I don't think it's real.

Quote by Fivebretz
Dude - he doesnt have time to PLACE A BID, but he has time to write that novel of an email? It's a clear fake to get yo details foo'

To be fair, if you placed a bid you'd have to wait 9 days.. but yeah I know what you mean lol
Quote by darkstar2466
It's not funny. Some idiots fall for this stuff.

Fixed...

That's why it's quite humurous to hear about idiots who send all their life savings to them because they were told they won £900 squillion on the Ghanaian Lottery and what not.
Quote by Survivalism

None of the 111,000 Google hits are real.
Quote by Kapps
None of the 111,000 Google hits are real.

One of us doesn't understand ironic humor.
Its fake.

My friend put his bass on craigs list.

5 checks, $200 each showed up. $1000 for a $200 bass.

The checks were fake, friend got screwed.

Don't.
Chris Redfield Of The Resident Evil Club
Hi Seller,
I'm Carl Brown located in West London,i'm interested in buying the item you display forsale urgently in ebay.com,if the item present working condition is good what is your last price for the item,i will like to buy the item as gift for my pastor wife that just relocated to Western Africa for her missionary project,but i'm always on tight schedule i will like to make instant offer of £300.00 due to urgent need of the item,i don't have time to place a bid for the item,i will like to know shipping charges to Western Africa via ROYAL EXPRESS MAIL ,payment will be made to you by Paypal or Money Order, get back to me with your paypal e-mail or your full address details with shipping charges to Western Africa for the payment transfer to you soonest,i want you to end the auction bidding for the item and contact me back for payment to you immediately.

Best Regards
Carl Brown

Yeah i'm sure he want to give you 300 euros for it,go for it.
"My brother is in the hospital in a coma and the only thing that can cure him is your phone. I should be at his side, but I really needed to check my Facebook account to see if I got tagged in any new pictures. I should be getting back now, and don't have the time to place a bid, but I will go to the bank immediately, (a 3-day camel journey) stand in line, and wire you $3,000,000 for safekeeping, which I know you will do very well. That reminds me - this one time this door-to-door salesman tried to sell me a safe and I asked him: "well what keeps the safe safe?" and he was stumped. Oh, and I'm actually in the eastern-Congo region, where internet access is limited to 30 square feet, so I would appreciate if the phone got here really fast. I'll wire you an additional $3,000,000 for shipping.

Cheers,

Reverend John Alan."
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Quote by HighPotency
Yeah i'm sure he want to give you 300 euros for it,go for it.

Pounds are not Euros. Way to fail while attempting to insult someone's intelligence.
Quote by darkstar2466
"My brother is in the hospital in a coma and the only thing that can cure him is your phone. I should be at his side, but I really needed to check my Facebook account to see if I got tagged in any new pictures. I should be getting back now, and don't have the time to place a bid, but I will go to the bank immediately, (a 3-day camel journey) stand in line, and wire you $3,000,000 for safekeeping, which I know you will do very well. That reminds me - this one time this door-to-door salesman tried to sell me a safe and I asked him: "well what keeps the safe safe?" and he was stumped. Oh, and I'm actually in the eastern-Congo region, where internet access is limited to 30 square feet, so I would appreciate if the phone got here really fast. I'll wire you an additional $3,000,000 for shipping.

Cheers,

Reverend John Alan."

I would actually give them the phone for free if they came up with something THAT amusing. Well done
Quote by Survivalism
One of us doesn't understand ironic humor.

And the other doesn't understand failed humor.
that looks to me like hes selling a similar item. thats hy he asked you to close the bid immediately. he doesnt want people to bid on yours. its not a scam to get your item for free or get account information because neither of those things can be garnered by any means from what he is saying.
Even if it's a scam... how would he get anything out of it apart from a phone that's worth a fiver? Stupid Nigerian scammers.
The below is false.
The above is true.

*world implodes*
Quote by WackZylde
Do it, the same guy bought a phone off me and I got my money.

Likely story...
Ooo I replied to his email and he replied lol

Thanks for your fast respond..i will contact paypal now for the payment transfer to you.i want you to end the auction biding for the item and start packing the item package ready for shipment and make sure you pack all the item acessories inside the package and get it ready for shipment to my pastor wife in Nigeria once the payment has been made to you.

I will send you my pastor wife shipping address once i have made the payment transfer to your paypal, i want you to end the auction bidding for the item right now and contact me back.

I wait to read from you soonest.

Best Regards
Ronita Crown

Now he's Ronita Crown lmao
Quote by MaxLees666
Ooo I replied to his email and he replied lol

Now he's Ronita Crown lmao

Tell him you'll do it, but first want to know why he broke your trust by changing names and stuffs, and have him do something as an act of trust. ;p
Quote by Survivalism

You're Wrong.
My Religious Studies teacher is called Carl Brown

EDIT: And his girlfriend is called Ronita

Quote by Våd Hamster
''I'm gay''

*Awkward silence*

''Actually, I'm just a vegetarian''

*Silence*

Dad- ''Same thing.''
Last edited by Ps-IAmGh0st at Aug 21, 2008,
Quote by Ps-IAmGh0st
Your Wrong.
My Religious Studies teacher is called Carl Brown

I'll pretend I didn't see that.... just this once... just this once ¬_¬
Quote by MaxLees666
I'll pretend I didn't see that.... just this once... just this once ¬_¬

fixed.
Quote by Våd Hamster
''I'm gay''

*Awkward silence*

*Silence*

Dad- ''Same thing.''
If you get an email from ''Paypal'' saying that they have received the payment but are withholding it until you post the item, for the love of jesus's left testicle do not post it.
The repetitive use of the word "item" in place of "phone" pretty much says it all. It's probably something generic that they have saved in Notepad on their laptop which they can send out to people selling almost anything (because the word "item" can be applied to almost anything you're selling) to try to scam them.
Quote by MaxLees666
Gh0st I think your RS teacher is trying to shaft me.

haha well i would ask him when i go back to school but he's leaving.

It is acctually really strange though, how Carl brown and then Ronita,
if only i knew his girlfriend's last name
Quote by Våd Hamster
''I'm gay''

*Awkward silence*

*Silence*

Dad- ''Same thing.''
Scam him back. Tell him you have Ronita locked in your basement and you'll cut off one of her fingers for every hour that passes where he doesn't pay up.
The below is false.
The above is true.

*world implodes*
Scambait. Now.
Google it and post the results.
Quote by Kensai
Ovenman, your contraptions make women's

clothes evaporate.

I WANT THE TWOOTH!

Quote by aaciseric
That's far too clever to be posted in the Pit.
What is this scambait? I'm afraid I've been absent from t'internet for a few months and I'm not particularly up to date.
Page 1 of 2