hey i want to play heavy guitar music like in bands such as children of bodom, lamb of god, arch enemy and yeah heavy bands like that.

and what i was wondering was what tuning do you guys recomend playing in? also could i get the sound i want from a squire strat and a 40 watt peavey amp?
ooohhh and if i could get that sound what do you recomend i play? like power chords, lots of palm muting or what?

if you can help me thanks if not o well
first off a strat aint made for that kinda stuff, you need a slightly better guitar like and LTD or something with humbuckers that can do heavier ****. and bands like that probably use tunings like C, B, C# stuff like that.
I do it in standard tuning because my sound doesn't depend on low tunings but Children Of Bodom mostly play in dropped C, Lamb Of God has songs in dropped D and Arch Enemy are tuned in C standard. Heavy things are mostly palm muted C power chord on a Drop C tuned guitar with way too much distorsion and scooped mids which too much bands abuse of it.. omg it's wayyy too metal...
Children Of Bodom sfits between D Standard( low yo high D G C F A D, tune down all strigs 1 whole step) and Drop C (just like D Standard except u tune the low E string down 2 whole steps)
I'm pretty sure Lamb of God Plays in Drop D (D A D G B E, just tune down the low E string 1 whole step)
and Arch Enemy plays most of their songs in C Standard (C F A# D# G C, tune all strings down 2 whole steps)
Just play around with different tunings and try write stuff.

A metal piece could sound awesome in D, but in C it could sound horrible, and vice versa. So transposing isn't always a good idea etc. So just play around and write in different tunings.

You will probably need a new guitar, or pick ups at least for the sound you want. Not sure about the amp.

And learn some songs that you intend to write like, and you will learn the different techniques.
thanks for that but what is a scooped mid whoever mentioned that and also do u think if i got new pickups put in my strat i could play that kind of music or should i get a whole new guitar?
oh i have a monteray warlock which has humbuckers would that work??
Do you like your strat? How old is it? Was it expensive?
I might be more worth your while to get a new guitar instead of changing mics on your old, like an Ibanez or BC Rich with humbuckers. Also, try .11-gauge strings instead of .9 for lower tunings.
Quote by 30 30 150
thanks for that but what is a scooped mid whoever mentioned that and also do u think if i got new pickups put in my strat i could play that kind of music or should i get a whole new guitar?
oh i have a monteray warlock which has humbuckers would that work??

Scooped mids is an eq settings that sets no medium frequency, only bass at 10 and treble at 10 or almost. It gives a sharp and heavy sound but it's not good when you play in a band because the higher sounds of guitar will mix up with the drum's cymbals and the bass with bass drum. A good exemple of scooped mids is Dimebag Darrell's sound.

Humbuckers are the best for metal since they give a thicker sound. Your Warlock will be better to use for metal than your strat.
well gunstarblue, my strat was only 380 with amp and soft case but i do like it, last night i played my warlok for the first time on my peavey amp and i actually quite like it, i just need to get it set up because the strings are waaaay to high of the fret bord( i forget what thats called)

and metalgirl0 i think i might play my warlok more once i get it set up and you say scooped mids are bad and that diembag is a good example well i quite like dimebags guitar so it might be good for me i dont know really.