Heey guys/girls,

I am learning constant motion, but my right hand just keeps ****ing up during the first riff. I have builded the tempo up etc. but it still ****s up at the (near) normal speed. My right hand has always been the worst, but I have played faster stuff then this riff...

so what can I do??? Maybe learn to play with 3 fingers? or use 3 fingers with those 32th notes?
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Last edited by Neo Evil11 at Aug 21, 2008,
I can see why, it's constant sixteenth notes, I used to get all strained up with that stuff as well.
I changed to using 3 fingers for everything, now I don't get it, well mostly.
♪♫♪
92% percent of the teen population would be dead if Hollywood said it wasn't cool to breathe anymore.
Put this in your signature if you are one of the 92% who wouldn't be breathing.
Quote by FFTLxx
I can see why, it's constant sixteenth notes, I used to get all strained up with that stuff as well.
I changed to using 3 fingers for everything, now I don't get it, well mostly.

well it's 2 32th notes a couple of 16th and then again 2 32th notes... it's just terrible!!! if this was a loony toons movie my fingers would be in a knot (? good english word )
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
it is a weird riff to play is why its so hard. alot of finger movment. all i can say is practice practice practice.
blemonese of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
Quote by camhussynec
Its like getting anal for the first time. It hurts like hell but eventully ull get used to it and itll feel fine

Thanks for nothing
It's going to be pretty hard to get it down with a strict 3-2-1-3-2-1 on the left hand, as the riff fits pretty well onto groups of two each string. Maybe just learn it with two? But really, it's not all that fast, I find the left hand patterns a lot harder than just getting my right hand up to speed.
I'm guessing it's not the speed, but the unity of your two hands that's messing you up. Try taking it at a speed you can play it perfectly and concentrate on your hands being in perfect unison with each other.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
I'm guessing it's not the speed, but the unity of your two hands that's messing you up. Try taking it at a speed you can play it perfectly and concentrate on your hands being in perfect unison with each other.

uhmm... it is open strings what i am talking about (well there are a couple of ones in between but those are not the problem)

32th-32th-16th-16th-16thetc and that constantly, no brakes
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Ah, my bad, I'm not familiar with the song, so it was just a guess. As boring and clichéd as this is, the only thing for it is practise and a metronome. Keep it slow and work up. Play at a speed at first that you can play the riff perfectly five times in a row and then move up 5 b.p.m. each time.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Ah, my bad, I'm not familiar with the song, so it was just a guess. As boring and clichéd as this is, the only thing for it is practise and a metronome. Keep it slow and work up. Play at a speed at first that you can play the riff perfectly five times in a row and then move up 5 b.p.m. each time.

yeah I did that 3 times, but with 3 b.p.m.
I'll just hang on then
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
I would say practice on other songs, for example, Glass Prison. That too has the fast notes that are slipped in sneakily. Just try out other songs with the same technique.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by Nutter_101
I would say practice on other songs, for example, Glass Prison. That too has the fast notes that are slipped in sneakily. Just try out other songs with the same technique.

can't play the glass prison, it's DT's hardest song! Would even have more luck with the dance of eternity. But I see what you are getting at. I will try that one then till the point where I can go no further and then go back
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Three finger technique could help you, but you want to work on slower songs to develop it. I'd use two fingers for the 16th notes and bring in the third finger for the 32nd notes.
A good DT song I can think of to work on it is Voices, where it's a 16th ride with 16 triplets thrown in.
I had this problem too where I could play most of the song but was struggling to keep up near the end. However, I just gave up and said I'd come back to it...at least you're still trying.
Quote by Neo Evil11
uhmm... it is open strings what i am talking about (well there are a couple of ones in between but those are not the problem)

32th-32th-16th-16th-16thetc and that constantly, no brakes

Wait, do you mean the verse? Definitely use 3 fingers for that.
Quote by Mayano
Wait, do you mean the verse? Definitely use 3 fingers for that.

yes the verse

I actually do the chorus with 3 fingers as well when I am tired
but I never did triplets with 3 fingers actually, weird huh
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
I belive its easyer to use 3 fingers. Especially for that riff, it took me alot of pratice.
Could i get a link to the tab y'all are looking at? I'm curious to see what all this fuss is about.
The prog kid from way down under of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

GENERATION 7: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Quote by Nikki197666
Could i get a link to the tab y'all are looking at? I'm curious to see what all this fuss is about.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/d/dream_theater/constant_motion_ver2_guitar_pro.htm">http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/d/dream_theater/constant_motion_ver2_guitar_pro.htm

first verse, and I am not even at the fastest part

my poor, poor right hand
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Ugh, guitar pro, is there an alternative? I can't afford the program

GENERATION 7: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I believe it can be opened with Powertab, which is free. Otherwise, just get the GP-trial.
Fler Ismaskiner!
Quote by Nikki197666
Ugh, guitar pro, is there an alternative? I can't afford the program

look for the song on youtube and listen to it?
can't miss it
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
I know the song, I'm a pretty avid DT fan, I'm just wanting to have a try at the part everyone is talking about

I dare you to try play if with a pick. Unless you were a pick master it'd be double as hard as using fingers. And I downloaded the GP trial and checked out the tab, and you need to use 3 fingers, no doubt about it.

Quote by Nikki197666
I dare you to try play if with a pick. Unless you were a pick master it'd be double as hard as using fingers. And I downloaded the GP trial and checked out the tab, and you need to use 3 fingers, no doubt about it.

then I am going back to practise huh
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11
then I am going back to practise huh

By all means, try three fingers. It's possible with two fingers though. I can pretty much do it with two, the same with Glass Prison.

Although have fun with the 2nd bridge either way
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by Nutter_101
By all means, try three fingers. It's possible with two fingers though. I can pretty much do it with two, the same with Glass Prison.

Although have fun with the 2nd bridge either way

at least there are some pauses for the right hand in it
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
I find that learning songs(especially DT) with GP is hard and isnt that good to work with(meaning by playing along with it, thats only good when you know the song).
It would be better to memorize the part slowly and practice it without GP until youre confident with that part.
I thought that TGP would be hard to play but it isnt after I memorize it.
Only problem is, is that I get tired fast lol.
Quote by Waters?
I find that learning songs(especially DT) with GP is hard and isnt that good to work with(meaning by playing along with it, thats only good when you know the song).
It would be better to memorize the part slowly and practice it without GP until youre confident with that part.

I think that my right hand getting tired is my main problem
I only come to tempo 85/92 before my righthand just needs to stop...
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Waters?

The only thing in the Glass Prison I have trouble with is that final bit before the outro, where its following that linear pattern of the roots/seconds/fourths/fifths (I think thats right?) and harmonising with the keyboard/guitar. By the time I get to it I only last about 20 seconds into it before I need a 5 sec break, from which after I can continue through to the end. And TBH I feel more comfortable learning by just playing it at speed. Playing it slow just isn't as effective with me.

Quote by Nikki197666
The only thing in the Glass Prison I have trouble with is that final bit before the outro, where its following that linear pattern of the roots/seconds/fourths/fifths (I think thats right?) and harmonising with the keyboard/guitar. By the time I get to it I only last about 20 seconds into it before I need a 5 sec break, from which after I can continue through to the end. And TBH I feel more comfortable learning by just playing it at speed. Playing it slow just isn't as effective with me.

to get the pattern down it is effective for me.
My problem is not speed, but stamina.
Which prevents me from doing stuff like the glass prison, but stuff from Rush really easy because of all the breaks in there.
my stamina just isn';t building up.

edit: I can play the riff with the song... but the second time I screw up sometimes
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Last edited by Neo Evil11 at Aug 25, 2008,
People... I can do it
finally after hours of practising,
all that it took was... playing it on normal speed instead of butchering myself for an hour till I came near it and was exhausted

practising makes perfect

All I have to do now is learn the 2nd bridge and the riff under the guitar solo

ouch
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ