Page 1 of 3
What actually goes on, my dad makes me watch it and i don't understand.
I'm going to New York next week to see the 'patriots vs the giants' and i wont know whats going on.
Please explain.

Quote by Spoonman69
Rap is music,far better than metal for example. id much rather hear about hoes and anal sex than dragons and supressed homosexuality.
I'm an American and I don't know anything about American football. Oh wait, yes I do. Sometimes our Dr. Pepper bottles come shaped like footballs.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Grown men fall over a lot...

To be honest, I've only ever watched American football a few times, and couldn't pick up exactly what was going on. It stopped far too often; play seemed to last about 5 seconds before the ref blew his whistle again and everyone huddled together.
Quote by Felkara
Dude, you just made the most intelligent post in this entire thread. Congrats.
Quote by minibrowny
They wear 50lbs of protective body armour then play rugby :p

Then stop play every ten seconds for time outs.
Quote by minibrowny

Basically this.
How much exactly do you know? ex. Scoring, basic rules, etc.
Quote by Tubyboulin
Apperently thats called rape Who knew?
Just some men kicking/throwing balls and lying on top of eachother.

Dun like american football anyway
Squier Standard Telecaster.
Random Ibanez GIO superstrat
Takamine EG440C Maple Blue

Line 6 Spider III 30 w
Blackheart Killer Ant
Blackheart Little Giant

Line 6 Pod X3 Live
Line 6 Toneport UX-2
wellllllll asking at this time of day you are mostly going to get replies from purist uk rugby fans orrrrr weird people such as myself who happen to be in the pit at 3:35am. in a good 9 hours or so you should get some more helpful replies though hehe.

basically, you are trying to get the football into the opposite end zone, scoring you 6 points [touchdown]. to do this, you can throw a forward pass to a receiver who catches it and runs forward, hand it off to a teammate, or keep it yourself [quarterback]. you can only throw forward behind the line of scrimmage, which is where the ball was when the play started. you get four chances to advance the ball ten yards at a time. haha fuck this i give up i'm not much of a football expert and i'm even worse of an explainer.

My mind is going. I can feel it.
you have to get to the the opponent's endzone. starts off with a kickoff, team A receives and runs towards the other's endzone. the receiving team is offensive, the kicking team is defensive. the point is just to run to the other side of the field. when one player gets tackled, the play has ended and they huddle to plan their next play. they set up formation, and the quarterback yelsl code words that mean other things to signal something to the other players and it ends with 'hike' or 'set, hike'. the quarterback then has to toss the football to another man on his team who has to catch it and run. then, there are downs. you have 4 downs which pretty much just means 4 tries to get 10 yards forward from your current position. every time a play ends, it counts as a down. usually professional teams punt on their fourth down to get the other team farther away from their endzone. when you do not get a firstdown after four downs, it is a turnover and the other team gets the ball right where you had it. im too lazy to finish, someone else explain the other things. (scoring, rules etc.)
Im a brit, been in love with American football for a few years, and compared to Rugby its not that similar.

basically they have around 50 people on a team and they are split into Offense, Defense & Special Teams (Kicking & Punting).
The offense lines up and has 4 chances (Acctually called Downs) to make 10 yards, if they make 10 yards within 4 go's they get a fresh set of Down's, if they fail to make 10 yards within 3 down's on the 4th down they will either go for a Field Goal, or Punt the ball, but occasionally they may pass or run the ball.

They score 6 points for a Touchdown, and then can go for a Field Goal (worth 1 point) or a 2 pt conversion (Pass or Run, which requires them to get into the End Zone in 1 try from around 3 yards.

For more rules just use google though, that was a quick overview of it, as im bored and have nothing to do.
And now im hungry, Good Luck in getting into American football,

Have a good time at the Match!
Quote by Våd Hamster
''I'm gay''

*Awkward silence*

''Actually, I'm just a vegetarian''

*Silence*

Dad- ''Same thing.''
Quote by minibrowny

That is how I've always perceived it lol.

Example:

American footballers = pussies

Sebastien Chabal = THE WORLD'S MEATIEST FRENCHMAN. Those of you who've seen him play will know what a fuckin freight train of a man he is when he's got the ball, christ

EDIT: Also, I think I'm the only person who thinks this, but I can't help but think he looks a bit like Andrew WK...
Last edited by MaxLees666 at Aug 21, 2008,
i know nothing, apart from the answers above.

Quote by Spoonman69
Rap is music,far better than metal for example. id much rather hear about hoes and anal sex than dragons and supressed homosexuality.
Actually... i prefer football over rugby.

I've seen maybe two rugby games and i was like... meh, too disorganized and crap.

EDIT: this is after those answers given before me.

There's certain things that can't be done, such as tackling the receiver while the ball is in midair (kinda like making a block after the ball starts descending in basketball), grabbing from the masks, and tackling after the ball is down. Another important thing is fumbles. They're just when a person holding the ball is tackled and looses the ball. At that moment either team can grab it and run to the opposite end zone to score.

Scoring can be a little complicated though:
-Touch down is 6pts
-Field goal after touchdowns are 1pt (some just call it the extra point)
-Field goals (not after touchdown) are 3pts
-Safeties (when the carrier is tackled inside their own end zone) are 2pts
-2 point conversions (scoring in the end zone after a touchdown; the team has the option of that or the field goal/extra point; they however have the ball at around the 3 yard line which is pretty close for scoring) are 2pts

Also, there's 4 quarters, each one being 15 min long. And... players can run out of bounds in order to make a "down" and stop the clock.

That's the main stuff though... there's other rules but you don't really need to know them. Penalties are done when certain rules are broken, in which case the team that did the penalty looses some yards (usually 5 to 10 yards) and might repeat the play.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Last edited by evening_crow at Aug 21, 2008,
i think its kinda like rugby with less rules on hurtig the other team
No one really knows.

Just yell 'Go Pats' >_>

P.S. I'm a womanfolk! : )
sraeb

Quote by Trefellin
Show me your erection or gtfo... please.
So, in American football, who can you tackle?
Did I read right that play stops when a player is tackled?
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

Quote by OddOneOut
So, in American football, who can you tackle?
Did I read right that play stops when a player is tackled?

You can tackle whoever has the ball. And yes, when the player with the ball is tackled, play stops.
Quote by NGD1313
You can tackle whoever has the ball. And yes, when the player with the ball is tackled, play stops.

Sounds very stop-start.
Any particular reason why play stops when the player is tackled?
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

Quote by OddOneOut
Sounds very stop-start.
Any particular reason why play stops when the player is tackled?

So the players can get together and call another play. There's a lot more strategy involved than one would expect from a game of "muscle-bound wimps hitting each other with protective gear". And for the record, people do not tackle in Rugby like they do in Football. You add protection and you take away restraint. Fuck the wrap-up take down when you can just lay in to some guy and throw your body against him as hard as you can.
Im a Rugby League fan but I must say, American Football is pretty kickass.
Co-President of the 'Guitarists Born In 1991' Club. PM Me, gdm09 or blues_rocker to join.
Quote by <CJ>
Im a Rugby League fan but I must say, American Football is pretty kickass.

I always made fun of the football players in my high school (although they did suck big time) but now that i look back at it it's a pretty cool sport. Like mentioned, there's a lot of strategy going on. Also, the padding allows them to tackle each other harder and gives more liberty on how to do so.

Oh, and the play doesn't stop when someone's tackled.... it's when the person with the ball is brought down to the floor, goes out of bounds, or the pass is incomplete (not caught).
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Wales would vaporize them.
LtBrenton

Quote by Douglas Adams
The art of flying lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.

Quote by soulflyV

If I didn't have a mudkip in there, I'd sig that.

http://ltbrenton.wordpress.com My blog. Check it out.

☠ ☠ ☠
When you go make sure you boo the patriots as much as possible.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
Quote by minibrowny

Bear witness to incorrectness children.
Quote by Sixp0under
Bear witness to incorrectness children.

Exactly. That stuff gets on my nerves. The only real simularities between the two sports is the shape of the ball.

And "50 lbs of body armor/protection."
paint yourself red white and blue and yell "go pats!". you'll fit in great
It's basically rugby for pansies. Also I'm terrible at it . I can't throw, catch or run particularly fast... but I'm big so normally I get stuck running people over so my team can score. I don't like playing it that much.

So there are four downs, every time a player gets tackled signals a new down. At the end of four downs the ball is passed to the other team. Then that team gets four downs. They have to score in those four downs, you score by running the ball into your opposing teams end zone. After you score you can kick a field goal or try to run into the end zone for extra points.

There are four quarters and after each quarter the team switches sides.

I don't really know much about the rules of football, but that's basically how it's played.
I've decided that my signature is terrible. I'm open to suggestions.

Click me, or I'll die.

# Un-nominated in UG Top 100,
Quote by Bushinarin
It's basically rugby for pansies. Also I'm terrible at it . I can't throw, catch or run particularly fast... but I'm big so normally I get stuck running people over so my team can score. I don't like playing it that much.

So there are four downs, every time a player gets tackled signals a new down. At the end of four downs the ball is passed to the other team. Then that team gets four downs. They have to score in those four downs, you score by running the ball into your opposing teams end zone. After you score you can kick a field goal or try to run into the end zone for extra points.

There are four quarters and after each quarter the team switches sides.

I don't really know much about the rules of football, but that's basically how it's played.

haha
Quote by Dirge Humani
Pats-Giants will be an awesome game.

You sure as hell better cheer for the Giants.

Giants fan? Me too!!
Page 1 of 3