Poll: Would you Rather have a Hardtail(Fixed Bridge) or a Full Floating Tremolo(Floyd Rose?
Poll Options
View poll results: Would you Rather have a Hardtail(Fixed Bridge) or a Full Floating Tremolo(Floyd Rose?
Hardtail
58 66%
Full Floating Bridge
30 34%
Voters: 88.
Ive had my floyd rose equipped guitar for a few months now and tbh, I never use it.
Here are the few arguments as to why:
1. it doesnt even stay in tune (granted that its a liscensed floyd rose)
2. Obtaining accurate tunings is a nightmare, you have to have alot of patience and that is something i dont have alot of.
3. Changing Tunings is also very difficult, not only due to the above reason but to the fact that the locking nuts have to be unlocked and the spring tension then has to be adjusted to make the bridge parallel.
4. Changing string gauges is also hard because again the spring tension has to be adjusted.
5. Breaking a string makes the whole guitar go whack out of tune, exactly what you dont want to happen during a gig.
6. The sustain isnt as good as a hardtail guitar.
7. Agressive palm muting cant be used as it will apply pressure on the bridge and raise the pitch
8. Double String bends dont stay in tune because the bridge moves as you bend.
9. General maintenance of the bridge

There are probably more arguments but we will look at the good things about having a Floyd:
1. You will have a full floating trem (duh:P) Which can be fun ill admit.
2. Adjusting action is simpler
3. Stays in tune relatively well, provided it is set up properly and the trem is good quality.
.... Cant think of anything else

Anyway, the reason why i posted this was to decide whether or not to get a floyd rose in my next guitar or not, and I think ive decided not to, but i havent quite come to my final decision yet. I plan to get an Ibanez 7 string. Unfortunatley alot of guitars now come with trems.

I suppose i could block it, but still you will have some of the problems it is not always very stable and there is no point getting a guitar with a floyd rose just to block it.

Basically your desire to have a full floating trem must outweigh all the negative points about the floyd rose to really go and get one. I was foolish and that it would be fun and i was warned not to get one , but i got one anyway and now im regretting it. I would suggest you look at these points before considering getting one

Anyway give me your thoughts and ideas on this.
Last edited by Mr.Kvx10 at Aug 21, 2008,
I hate floating trems.
Did you know the odds of a Vault-Tec shelter failing are 1,763,497 to 1?

So imagine life in a Vault-Tec Vault. Not just a future.
A brighter future... underground.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.
Its good to have the floating trem on my strat even though i don't really use it too much. I still want it there anyway. I might want to do something about the cyclone's trem as well - its there, so why not use it?

I prefer hardtails though.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
hardtail FTW
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100
Honesty is the best policy!

...Unless your trying to get a job. In which case, lie like you just got pulled over with a dead body and some shovels in the back seat.

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS
i already have a guitar with a floyd rose type tremolo(actually a ZR one on my s470) and its pretty damn good. but if i had a second guitar, it would be a hardtail one, to change the tunings easily.
Quote by thisdude
i already have a guitar with a floyd rose type tremolo(actually a ZR one on my s470) and its pretty damn good. but if i had a second guitar, it would be a hardtail one, to change the tunings easily.

Yeh ZR trems are meant to be stable , supposedly like haveing a floyd rose with a tremsetter. although its stiffer or something
My experience with the ZR trem is that it does pretty well eliminate those issues that can be eliminated. No, it can't correct the sustain issue, or the different tunings issue, or the palm muting. But it's not that hard to tune, it stays dead in tune better than a hardtail, you can bend two strings without problems, and if one string breaks the rest stay in tune.

So in exchange for what a trem is designed to do, you're still left with some tradeoffs. If a floating bridge really works for some of what you want to play, then having one guitar equipped with one is probably a good idea. But if you never touch the whammy bar, they don't make much sense.
[quote="'']Floating trems are like hot girls with annoying personalities. There fun but alot of maintinance

I like haveing both but if I had to chose I'd have fixed because it's just easier to change tunings, plus i think bends sound better with fixed

This is funny. I agree lol
I appreciate all the arguments in favour of a hardtail and I agree with everything that's said. In an ideal world I'd have one of each but if I had to choose one, it would still be a floating trem.

Why?

Once the strings on mine have properly adjusted it is locked down and I don't retune it again for months. I like that. I don't use the trem that much but I like the fact that it's there for those times it can be useful. I like that versatility. When I first played a guitar with a Floyd the damn thing was forever drifting out of tune as my palm rested on the strings. This meant an adjustment in the way I play and I have had to adapt my style to compensate for this but I no longer find a problem at all. Funnily enough, my son tried my guitar the other day and found it frustrating as it kept going out of tune due to his palm but once he develops greater sensitivity and touch it will become easy. I can still palm mute with mine perfectly well, it just took a little practise to do it properly.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
hardtail for me. i dislike trems.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
Fixed bridge I like for rythem, but I prefer tremelo's for all my lead playing.
ive been using trems since i started playing, so a hard-tail guitar for me just doesnt feel as comfortable. plus it seems most hardtail bridges are attached to 24.75 scale guitars. which makes it even more uncomfortable for me. so yeah, i definately prefer a tremolo.

i think the main reasons people end up disliking tremolos is because either its a low end guitar and its a junk tremolo. or its not setup properly. the whole lack of staying in tune thing is so untrue it drives me nuts. as long as my guitar is set up properly, and the strings are all stretched to where theyre happy. i can beat the **** out of it for hours, throw it in its case, haul it all over the state. take it back out. and if i feel like it, hold the guitar in the air by just the whammy bar and bounce it around a few times. at worst a couple of the fine tuners will need a little tweak. hell, i cant even put my hardtail guitars in a case without having to retune it because the tuners got bumped...
Hardtail for me,but my dream guitar,Jackson KE2 comes with a trem!Damnit!
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
this is the most retarded group of so called guitarists ive ever seen! the only people that have problems with floyd roses are newbie or wannabe guitarists! they never go out of tune, if u know what u are doing takes only 15 minutes to restring the whole guitar, tuning is a breeze, and who's the idiot that said he cant palm mute without changing the pitch!! u must have no idea how to play!! you are a bunch of morons!! go learn how to use an instrument before u bash it! fags!!
this is the most retarded group of so called guitarists ive ever seen!...
Hard to tell if this rant is a vote for or against FR systems.

However, it seems the case that the poll assumes you get one and only one guitar in your life, so you better choose wisely!

My opinion is, every collection should have one tremolo-bridge guitar, and only one. Use it as necessary or appropriate.
Quote by dragonofdis
this is the most retarded group of so called guitarists ive ever seen! the only people that have problems with floyd roses are newbie or wannabe guitarists! they never go out of tune, if u know what u are doing takes only 15 minutes to restring the whole guitar, tuning is a breeze, and who's the idiot that said he cant palm mute without changing the pitch!! u must have no idea how to play!! you are a bunch of morons!! go learn how to use an instrument before u bash it! fags!!

Please leave. Now.
Ibanez RG1570 w/ Bareknuckle Pickups
Ibanez RG655
PRS SE Fredrik Åkesson Singlecut
Blackstar HT-5
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
BOSS TU-2
MXR M-108
Digitech Bad Monkey
Floyd rose. I get bored with my hard tail. Try divebombing with one. It sent slash to the hospital and before you all bash slash, i like him. He's not the most amazing guitarist i've ever seen in my life, but he's good, and i like him.
Quote by dragonofdis
this is the most retarded group of so called guitarists ive ever seen!

It is, now that you've made yourself part of it.

Double-locking trems do have their uses, but I far prefer being able to change tunings.This is why I kind of like the Strat style trem

Also, to the 'can't dive bomb with a hardtail' guy, that's fair and all, but try changing between open tunings with a Floyd. d:
Besides, If you needed to get a sound like that you could take a page from Albert King's book and tune to C so you can bend across the neck.
Last edited by Sir Anonymous at Aug 21, 2008,
Quote by Sir Anonymous
It is, now that you've made yourself part of it.

Double-locking trems do have their uses, but I far prefer being able to change tunings.

I feel it's pretty easy to change tunings on a FR guitar. All you have to do is unscrew the locking nut... How lazy can you get?

I have a RG320DXQM

Got it for $320 on ebay. It stays in tune just as well as my Explorer. Also my $300 Ibanez has gotten more playing time than my Explorer in the past month.

I'd take a guitar with a FR.
youd also have to re-adjust the trem in the back or block it out to change tunings. (unless its drop D)
bugera 333xl (for sale)
B-52 4x12 cab
Schecter Hellraiser Avenger
Schecter c-1 FR prototype (for sale)
Squier strat

VOTE FOR MY BAND TO PLAY WARPED TOUR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

www.battleofthebands/darkestbeforedawn
Quote by Explorer125
I feel it's pretty easy to change tunings on a FR guitar. All you have to do is unscrew the locking nut... How lazy can you get?

Pretty lazy.

And I mean like open tunings, for slide.
i really like floyd roses
i like the way my hand stand in front of it when i palm mute
i tried a GREAT haredtail guitar and it was cool and everything, but i would prefer a floyd rose every time
but if i can i would have both :P a guitar with floyd and a hardtail
Gear:
LTD MH-1000
Ibanez RG350EX
ibanez GSA60
Line 6 Spider III 30W
Peavey ValveKing 112
Boss GE-7 EQ
Electro-Harmonix Small Clone Chorus
Digitech RP350
It seems like hardtails have won :P.

valid points about the incorrect setup up, that is one reason why people bash it, i am pretty sure that i have set it up correctly (i have spent hours doing it afterall). Also true about the bad trems.

I would avoid getting a guitar with a liscensed floyd rose, If i had a better one like an original i may have used it more.
Can people tell me what other trems are dodgy, e.g ibanez ones.

BTW "Dragonofdis" No one said they couldnt palm mute with a floating bridge. The key word was "agressive" involving more pressure on the bridge than usual palm muting.

It seems that manufacturers are just throwing trems on to alot of guitars because they are "cool" and make fun noises, and maybe because Dimebag or Synyster Gates uses one.