Hi!

Looking for a set up to get me a heap of different tones, from info on previous threads im probably looking at a GT-10 multi fx and an amp, or a vetta. Any thoughts?

In a cover band, regularly gigging, we cover a range from chilli peppers, greenday, foo fighters to even a bit of johnny cash and creedance. Just well known rockish songs. nothing heavy at all, probably the heaviest we play is the middle by jimmy eat world or my chemical romance & foo's.

If i were to get a GT-10 multi fx what would be a good amp to get with it? (50-75 watts)
I have heard that tube amps will sound **** if i use a multi FX? true?

the vetta has bulk tones available?

Thanks!
I've heard nothing but great things about the vetta series!
With the boss you could get an atomic amp *made to run multi fx through it* or a keyboard amp because it wouldn't colour the tone. Its a shame you need so much volume because the Valve Junior goes great with multi fx. You could get a tube amp and plug it into the return part of the FX loop (bypasses the preamp) and it would sound great that way and you would still get the famous tube breakup..... sort of :P.
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
Vetta's.

wait, i thought they were really expensive...
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
i would go for the boss option...cuz im a boss fab

but you would need to use the FX loop in a tube amp so you can bypass the preamp...just like howey said
Epiphone Les Paul Classic
Marshall MG100DFX *SOLD* REPLACED WITH PEAVEY CLASSIC 30
Boss GT-8
Breedlove AD/25 SR Plus

I'm TOOcool for sigs
no no no no no.... dont buy the vetta.

I was shopping for amps a while ago, tried the vetta and it sounds REALLY fizzy. does NOT sound anything like a valve amp.

the gt8 is ok, but the distrotion sounds really suck. oh and using the gt8 in the effects loop is fine as long as your not using the onboard distortion, but then you need to dance between the amp channels and the different effects on your gt8. Please trust me on this (for your pockets and ears' sake) - buying a gt8 will be a massive mistake, same for the vetta.

youd be much better off with the spider valve. despite what the nay sayers are... er... saying (they prob havnt tried the amp out - lots of bandwagons on UG you know) its a really nice sound. the effects are really good too.

or a hughs and kettner switchblade, which is also VERY nice indeed.

or try the new line6 M13 - their stompbox modellers were awsome so this could be interesting - stick it thru a budget valve amp and youve got a tastey rig (assuming the m13 is as good as previous stompbox modellers)

please please please dont buy the vetta without hearing it. If you play thru one and it sounds good to you, fair enough, but to me it sounded like one of the worst solid state amps ive ever heard - the original flextone was even better than the vetta.

peace

G

and yes, i have tried all of these amps.
Cursed to one day crash and burn because we fly so god damn high.
Last edited by hippyheaven1 at Aug 21, 2008,
Maybe wait until the Peavey Vypyr's are relseased, I've heard that those things dominate all current modellers! You should get the 60 watt tube combo and if its not quite loud enough for your gigs then you can always throw in a speaker with a higher sensitivity rating such as a V30 to make it just that little bit louder.
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
Quote by hippyheaven1
no no no no no.... dont buy the vetta.

I was shopping for amps a while ago, tried the vetta and it sounds REALLY fizzy. does NOT sound anything like a valve amp.

the gt8 is ok, but the distrotion sounds really suck. oh and using the gt8 in the effects loop is fine as long as your not using the onboard distortion, but then you need to dance between the amp channels and the different effects on your gt8. Please trust me on this (for your pockets and ears' sake) - buying a gt8 will be a massive mistake, same for the vetta.

youd be much better off with the spider valve. despite what the nay sayers are... er... saying (they prob havnt tried the amp out - lots of bandwagons on UG you know) its a really nice sound. the effects are really good too.

or a hughs and kettner switchblade, which is also VERY nice indeed.

or try the new line6 M13 - their stompbox modellers were awsome so this could be interesting - stick it thru a budget valve amp and youve got a tastey rig (assuming the m13 is as good as previous stompbox modellers)

please please please dont buy the vetta without hearing it. If you play thru one and it sounds good to you, fair enough, but to me it sounded like one of the worst solid state amps ive ever heard - the original flextone was even better than the vetta.

peace

G

and yes, i have tried all of these amps.

uh well first of all..he is asking about the GT-10 not the GT-8
secondly i find it very hard to agree with you on the GT-8's distortion.
in order to get good sounds out of a GT-8 you have to spend hours with it just tweaking everything especially the separate EQ. if you spend like 30mins with it theres no way you can get a decent sound out of it.
Boss GT-8
Breedlove AD/25 SR Plus

I'm TOOcool for sigs
sorry mate, i somehow read gt8.

in all honesty tho, can the gt10 really be THAT much better?
well...i cant tell you that.
i havent tried it yet but supposedly its much easier to obtain good tones out of it than the GT-8
Boss GT-8
Breedlove AD/25 SR Plus

I'm TOOcool for sigs
Quote by minixmin
well...i cant tell you that.
i havent tried it yet but supposedly its much easier to obtain good tones out of it than the GT-8

I can tell you (having tried them all exept the gt10) that NONE of the previous GT incarnations have provided a believeable distortion tone. They all sounded muddy, thin, buzzy etc

i find it hard to believe, given the consensus of opinion that cosm modelling is NOT the greatest, that boss have suddenly got it right and the gt10 sounds as good as an analogue distortion stompbox.
Thanks for your help

I understand the stompbox's are proffered by most ppl but that is more of long term thing accumulating them.

so the vetta is around $1100 which is fine, do i then need to buy a floor pedal to use it properly? is that the xt live?

or

A GT-10 and half decent amp to go with the GT-10, any ideas on what i could use for an amp?

Around $1100 all up is about my budget.

Thanks!
cmon ppl!

anymore help on which amp would suit the use a multi fx, gt-10?
ere is what I have and what it is capable of.

I run a Mesa Rect-o-verb Combo. 50 watts.

I am running my GT-10 throught the effects loop (you will need to modify the effects loop to run as a series instead of parallel; a 5 minute soldering job).

You can interface the GT-10 to switch the channels on the Mesa. So I use the GT-10 for all of my effects and the mesa for all of my tones.

This allows me to hit 1 button on the GT-10 to change channels and turn on/off any effects that I have saved to that particular patch.

If you do not like Mesa and plan on going with the GT-10, make sure you can run the effects loop as a series, and the amp allows external switching.

Hope this helps.
Quote by mcrfobtai
I would get a nice tube amp and a few effects. Wah, chorus, delay, phaser, od, etc.

what?
he said he wants a GT-10 so he wouldnt need those unless he changes his mind to get analog pedals.
Boss GT-8
Breedlove AD/25 SR Plus

I'm TOOcool for sigs
Quote by minixmin
uh well first of all..he is asking about the GT-10 not the GT-8
secondly i find it very hard to agree with you on the GT-8's distortion.
in order to get good sounds out of a GT-8 you have to spend hours with it just tweaking everything especially the separate EQ. if you spend like 30mins with it theres no way you can get a decent sound out of it.

A vetta i about 90 % imo close to the real thing.

( i tried the mesa boogie model whit the real thing just at the right of the amp . )

Vetta are monster i wish one day i would afford one

and yea you need a fbv controller whit the vetta.

Make the thing so much easier :p
There's No School like Old School.

So yeah, i'm getting active again on this fucking website.

FACEBOOK
Last edited by Hcmanu at Aug 21, 2008,
I've also seen guitarists from cover bands use only a POD XT Live / X3 straight into the P.A mixer, with their guitar also coming through the monitor mix.
Gear:

07 Gibson LP Vintage Mahogany
90-91 Fender MIJ '62 Reissue Strat
Fender Acoustic/Electric
Marshall TSL601 Combo
Crybaby Wah
Ibanez TS-9
Boss Tu-2
Quote by Leper_Messiah_
I've also seen guitarists from cover bands use only a POD XT Live / X3 straight into the P.A mixer, with their guitar also coming through the monitor mix.

thats what i do :P

The podx3 is really badass but seriously comparate to the vetta its ****ing ****.
There's No School like Old School.

So yeah, i'm getting active again on this fucking website.

FACEBOOK
Quote by JCLangiu
ere is what I have and what it is capable of.

I run a Mesa Rect-o-verb Combo. 50 watts.

I am running my GT-10 throught the effects loop (you will need to modify the effects loop to run as a series instead of parallel; a 5 minute soldering job).

You can interface the GT-10 to switch the channels on the Mesa. So I use the GT-10 for all of my effects and the mesa for all of my tones.

This allows me to hit 1 button on the GT-10 to change channels and turn on/off any effects that I have saved to that particular patch.

If you do not like Mesa and plan on going with the GT-10, make sure you can run the effects loop as a series, and the amp allows external switching.

Hope this helps.

that sounds like a really interesting set up... hmmmmm
Quote by hippyheaven1
that sounds like a really interesting set up... hmmmmm

My only issue right now is configuring it right to switch my channels.
Other than that...it is nice.

No more tap dancing.

You can go from one setup to something totally different with one press and you still retain your tubed distortion.
Quote by minixmin
what?
he said he wants a GT-10 so he wouldnt need those unless he changes his mind to get analog pedals.

He probably won't use all the effects and amp models on it and I find individual pedals sound better.