At the moment we don't have any sand paper, but dad is coming back tomorrow and will go and buy some sand paper. Would it be a better idea to strip it today and sand tomorrow, or strip and sand tomorrow? Also, how long will it take for the paint to dry?
CuSO4

"I don't have an instrument, I don't have a great voice, I just have some nice clothes maybe." paul rutherford
well. its hard to say, sanding is alot of work, but you could probably get it done in a night if you work hard enough, and the paint should take a bit to dry, im not sure how long though... sorry.

but i would strip it tonight, because honestly, i just like to take things apart. but you dont have to do it tonight, but it would be good prep for the sanding too.
Right. Thanks alot.

I really need to get a sense of drying time tho, because I'm going to a family get together all weekend.
CuSO4

"I don't have an instrument, I don't have a great voice, I just have some nice clothes maybe." paul rutherford
Be aware that it takes WEEKS for the paint to dry, even if it feels dry. Your guitar will be out of order for at least a month.
Really? A month? Can I not use it at all?
CuSO4

Depends on the paint, if its just like thick plastic car spray paint, your probably fine, but if you have delicately sprayed 20 coats of nitrocellous on you will have to let it cure for ages.

I would strip it tonight as well, and you could probably bang on sanding it in a day.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
I'm painting a bullseye patern. What would be the best method to get the pattern on/How would I make a template?
CuSO4

Quote by Hereiwas
I'm painting a bullseye patern. What would be the best method to get the pattern on/How would I make a template?

From the Ultimate Refinishing sticky, post #340: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=13580946&postcount=340
Quote by Ippon

1. Tape the whole body after you've laid the primer and the White Colorcoat.
2. Find the center of the bullseye. Nail a small nail.
3. Tie a string to the center nail and a pencil at thhe other end.
4. Start making the circles, shorten or lengthen as you do the next circles.
5. Cut the areas that will be painted Black or whatever with an Exacto knife. Make sure the cut is perfect or else it'll be noticeable.
7. Spray the Black.
8. Wait an hour so, remove the remaining tape very gently.
9. Wetsand the demarcation lines between the Black and White paint with high grit (2000) so the edges can't be felt.
10. Clearcoat, etc.

Thanks alot IPPON! Thats great. Do I cover the hole thing in maksing tape? Also, it's a strat style guitar. Can I paint the pickguard with the same paint as the guitar or do I need special stuff?

I'll post pictures when I'm done...
CuSO4

Quote by Hereiwas
Thanks alot IPPON! Thats great. Do I cover the hole thing in maksing tape? Also, it's a strat style guitar. Can I paint the pickguard with the same paint as the guitar or do I need special stuff?

I'll post pictures when I'm done...

Yep, the whole thing.

Use Acrylic Primer for Plastic on the PG, but first, lightly scuff sand it with 400 or higher grit. Wipe it down, spray the primer, then use the same Acrylic lacquer colorcoat that you used on the body.