ok, im going off to college in ...less than 24 hours *tear* but in the next couple of weeks i'm going to be ordering me a tube amp XD.

right now, based off the recommendation of the tech at my local shop, i'm thinking about the peavey VK 112. mainly because its small enough to still play in a dorm (NOT CRANKED) and big enough to to play in a gig sorta thing.

i'm looking for an amp that will do mainly great cleans and a great crunch, but will also do heavy rock decently, and from the sound clips, the vk does this.

any other recommendations tho?

thanks
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
the VK isn't great for nothing...cause you know...it's still 400$ but it's awesome anyways.
so yeah..I say go for it.
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
Quote by Kozlic
the VK isn't great for nothing...cause you know...it's still 400$ but it's awesome anyways.
so yeah..I say go for it.

lol thats an awesome point. gracias!
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Fender Super Champ XD? It's versatile, small enough for a dorm, and although it has only 15 watts/1x10" driver, most gigs will mic your up anyway.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Quote by bored_maniac33
ok, im going off to college in ...less than 24 hours *tear* but in the next couple of weeks i'm going to be ordering me a tube amp XD.

right now, based off the recommendation of the tech at my local shop, i'm thinking about the peavey VK 112. mainly because its small enough to still play in a dorm (NOT CRANKED) and big enough to to play in a gig sorta thing.

i'm looking for an amp that will do mainly great cleans and a great crunch, but will also do heavy rock decently, and from the sound clips, the vk does this.

any other recommendations tho?

thanks

Dude Crate V series are on super low prices right now. For 150-250 you can get something from 5-50 watts. Maybe the V18 will be perfect for a dorm and gigging itll be good. I used to own the peavey and its not all its cracked up to be and at low volumes its particularly sterile and boring and this doesn't really change :P
1st Schecter 8er? in UG's 7 String Legion
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Quote by Slanderous666
Dude Crate V series are on super low prices right now. For 150-250 you can get something from 5-50 watts. Maybe the V18 will be perfect for a dorm and gigging itll be good. I used to own the peavey and its not all its cracked up to be and at low volumes its particularly sterile and boring and this doesn't really change :P

It's really all up to opinion I guess, 'cause I love my Peavey 112. I haven't found it boring at all.

Buy the Valveking, man. You'll be happy you did.
It's a process, not an event.
Quote by Do Re Mi
It's really all up to opinion I guess, 'cause I love my Peavey 112. I haven't found it boring at all.

Buy the Valveking, man. You'll be happy you did.

yea, im really hoping that i can find a place that i can test out some of these other amps. ive tried the VK for like 10 mins several months ago and like it, but my ears have developed A LOT since then.
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Define versatile and what is great cleans/crunch.

Valveking has fail cleans. Don't buy something off clips, ever.

V series Crate amps are pretty much superior tonally, IMO, and cheaper to boot.

You aren't going to really get a versatile tube amp under 500 bucks.
Go for the Valveking, trust me. I was playing one at Guitar center yesterday, it'll definitely sound like you want it to.
Quote by gregs1020
http://greenville.craigslist.org/msg/766293794.html That would be better for $350. But it's a beast.
By great crunch, how heavy are we talking? Just classic rock or some form of "annihilate a country black throbbing death metal"?

definitely not serious metal here. idk, just kinda like alternative level distortion. full but not overbearing in anyway. i'd kinda rather not take the used route simply because ive had enough issues finding the right thing in the past and not being able to really try something out kinda scares me
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Valvekings are the official amp of mediocre. I say +1 to the Crates. They're rediculously good considering how cheap they are.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by imgooley
Define versatile and what is great cleans/crunch.

Valveking has fail cleans. Don't buy something off clips, ever.

V series Crate amps are pretty much superior tonally, IMO, and cheaper to boot.

You aren't going to really get a versatile tube amp under 500 bucks.

how did u come to that assessment? did u dial in the same settings u use for ur SS amps? Cuz ya know using the same settings for a SS amp might not work well with a tube amp.

TS, head over to the "only valveking thread" so u can get some settings so when u go try it out with some good settings. Trust me this amp took me a while to get the EQ'ing right lol.
Gear:
Ibanez Artcore AM73
Carlo-Robelli Acoustic (first guitar)
Peavey VaveKing 212
BOSS GE-7
BOSS Super Chorus CH-1
i have a valveking, and i think its pretty good for what i play. and it sounds like we have similar tastes in music. my friend has the crate v18, and i actually think thye're on par on cleans, but VK has better distortion. i absolutely love the cleans i can get out of my VK (but having a chorus and an eq does wonders for the clean)

but i do have to say something, neither the crate or VK is really good at one thing, but they're both decent for a variety of genres. the vk can get RHCP cleans (not crystal clear, still has a little punch to it) and can get ssome harder rock too with some tweaking. The crate gets somewhat clearer cleans (more of a fender clean than the VK gets, but in no way fender cleans) and can get some alternative type distortion.

if distortions not top priority, i would say go for the crate becuase if you need that extra distortion, you can get a bad monkey and still have 200$ leftover. with crates being so cheap right now i'd jump on that.
DON'T HIRE RON WILSON
Quote by suckmahnuts

if distortions not top priority, i would say go for the crate becuase if you need that extra distortion, you can get a bad monkey and still have 200$ leftover. with crates being so cheap right now i'd jump on that.

yea the price is actually sorta scaring me away. $249 for a33 watt 212 how can that be as awesome as some people say?
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Coz it's going cheap. It's recommended price is like $600.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by suckmahnuts
its on sale i believe.

yea, thats a huge sale. why are they going for so cheap? they werent selling? and if thats the case, why werent they selling if they are awesome?
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by jambi_mantra
Valvekings are the official amp of mediocre. I say +1 to the Crates. They're rediculously good considering how cheap they are.

+10000
honestly, i have no clue why they're going so cheap. but i would say go to your local store and try them both out, the VK and the crate, and just see which one you like best. they;re pretty close in comparison so the crate is 200$ cheaper so i'd get that one.

Edit:

THE 50W 112 IS ONLY 199$?!?!?!

thats pretty much getting a VK for 250$ cheaper.
DON'T HIRE RON WILSON
Aren't the V series being discontinued? So it's they're probably just trying to get rid of them all by selling tham at a third of the price.

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
ok, so i went to one of the local shops in town, and i tried out the V15. now, they wanted like close to $400 for the darn thing, and the guy who "helped" me didnt even know what a p-90 was. I was also playing through a guitar that i didnt rly care for with pickups that didnt have that much character.

despite all of that tho, the amp was pretty good, the gain is really responsive, it rly picked-up my playing characteristics, and it did have a nice crunch. however, i couldnt tell whether it was because of the P-90's (which i despise) in a PRS SE (which i dont care for either) or the amp, the cleans didnt have much character, you know? and while it reached pretty high levels of gain, the distortion just didnt seem that full.

but idk how much better im going to get in my price range anyway....
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by UnsignedRecords
just for the record:

the sale on crate v-series on musician's friend is over.

lol check the links im using. example A V50 for $200
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
sorry, i wish you were right, it's one hell of a deal.
Online Availability
Option/Style Availability
Standard

Due 9/15/2008 Email me when in stock
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by UnsignedRecords
sorry, i wish you were right, it's one hell of a deal.

AHA! BRILLIANT!!!

my bad. well then, if their no longer available (at least at that price) that kinda seals the deal then

VK it is!
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
i wouldn't just jump into buying the VK,unless you've tried it of course. if you tried it, and like it, go and get. back i would strongly suggest trying it out first
DON'T HIRE RON WILSON
Quote by bored_maniac33

AHA! BRILLIANT!!!

my bad. well then, if their no longer available (at least at that price) that kinda seals the deal then

VK it is!

Well try it for a while before you buy, just to be sure. As far as buying used, if you search craigslist you can try it before you buy it. If the VK doesn't work for you, wait until you are at school and search locally there, different markets have different prices and college towns have a fair amount of used gear generally. Good luck.

Edit: Guitar center still has the V33-212 for $249. Just out of stock currently, which considering the price is not a surprise.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Aug 21, 2008,
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
I still wouldn't get the VK. Plus 1 to the guy who said a used classic 30.

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
im not reading the thread through it entirety so im gonna say

fail on the valveking get a used classic 30. its what a vk wishes it could be

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe