This question is asked all day long in here - "What is the best amp..." it's a redundant question. Everyone will tell you something different. It's like "What's the best car..." TRY SOME OUT - find one you like - BUY IT. I personally detest Peavey (Classic 30 and Valveking are the usual answers in here) and my favorites probably won't be your favorites. THERE ISN'T AN ANSWER to these "What amp..." threads. Just endless mindless redundancy. READ POSTS - it's asked 20 times a day - search - whatever... THERE IS NO PERFECT ANSWER - it's your EARS - use them.

p.s. Sorry Slats - just using you for an analogy
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
There's nothing wrong with asking for recommendations for a specific sound, or what works with your current rig, etc.

But I agree with you somewhat.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
I hear ya.

I just wish people would put a little intelligence into their Original Post (ha - there's a pun for ya) because we can't read minds. I'm much more willing to help someone that has demonstrated they have put a little thought and research into it.

Oh wait, is this a rant thread? Cool.
Well its kind of a vicious cycle a person makes a thread asking about a pedal or new guitar and everyone says buy a new amp soo truly we all are responsible...
Everyone has different situations, but most often they come in here for suggestions because of the vast variety of amps that there are. Sometimes you have to rely on this forum though, because of bad geographical location etc, and I semi-blind bought an amp from UG recommendations (I'd played a sister of it) and never looked back.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Is my MG250DFX good for blues? I mean, can I run it through my computer with blue lights on, would that help?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Besides, people enjoy answering the what amp threads - What annoys me is the 'what tubes' or 'what speaker' threads when there's already threads dedicated to that issue. With no what amp threads the forums would stagnate.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by gregs1020
Is my MG250DFX good for blues? I mean, can I run it through my computer with blue lights on, would that help?

win.

And as long as people are specific in the OP and willing to take many suggestions, it's fine with me. But those are the minority, it seems.

Oh, and I don't like the Classic 30 or the Valveking that much either.
What annoys me is "What strings" threads. They're friggin' strings, just get good ones that are thick enough and you can play anything you want with them. Thankfully they're rare. "What picks" are equally annoying, although even more rare.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Huh? What?

I'd have to say a used Classic 30.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
It would be more constructive if the person asking said "I tried amps s, t, u, v,w,x,y,z. These amps I didn't like . These amps I did like. Anyone know an amp with the X from amp v and the y from amp W but I have a budget for any an amp U."
Hopefully then someone who has a similar ear will have an idea for a recommendation.
BTW Whats wrong with a CL30 I like my CL50 alot. Not liking a peavey classic is alot like not liking dogs. You can't trust a person like that.
I think that asking what amp is an ok thread, considering most of my posts are recommendations for amps. HOWEVER I think that people has to be more descriptive. Heck, I have many threads about what gear to get, but I tend to very "in-depth" which IMO is a big problem with threads that aren't clear...
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by Fama
What annoys me is "What strings" threads. They're friggin' strings, just get good ones that are thick enough and you can play anything you want with them. Thankfully they're rare. "What picks" are equally annoying, although even more rare.

we had WHAT STRAP should I get awhile back! Geesus... "What socks should I wear on Thursday?" And everyone has $10,000 to spend but can't figure out what's a good amp - hell buy em all with that much! I'm grown up - I'm broke as snot and I work everyday... wish I had the money these youngsters have but mine goes to Mortgage Payments, car payments, CC companies, Light Bills, Property Taxes, and when I'm done I try to afford a new pick now and then...

and I've played blues on an MG10CD - thank GAWD that sucker's gone Sold it to a 15 year old down the street for $40 - he loved it and couldn't get over buying A REAL MARSHALL for $40! I sorta felt guilty 'eh...

p.s. Do fish ever get thirsty? What holds the clouds up?
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Last edited by strangedogs at Aug 21, 2008,
Quote by imgooley

win.

I just had to. Anyone else picturing strangedogs on roof with a high powered rifle, some percodan and a bottle of whiskey?

I agree Slats, a classic 30 should be perfect if he can't find a Spider III.
I'm just tired of the "Which metal amp should I get?" and no matter what the price range you see people say "Uhhh go for the Valveking or maybe a used 6505".... its NOT always the best solution.

I see where you are coming from but like MrCarrot said there is a huge number of amps out there to try and it can be overwhelming. Also geographical location blah blah blah...

If all the What Amp threads were gone GG&A would be pretty empty.

Plus when you start letting what people post on a forum bother you its a good sign you might be spending too much time there.
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
Don't complain becuase people are too lazy to read the what amp to get sticky
yes there is a sticky for the What amp thing. But people are too lazy to read it
Quote by Highwaytohell
yes there is a sticky for the What amp thing. But people are too lazy to read it

And generally the quality answer per response is better too.
Quote by SeeEmilyPlay
Idk but I love my '59 Bassman!

Fender USA Telecaster
Laney VC30-210
Vox Wah
That's it :|
Quote by Highwaytohell

Maybe the sticky is not personal enough. What if you want to play Metal/Rock/Blues/Jazz compared to just Metal/Rock/Blues? lol
Quote by SeeEmilyPlay
Idk but I love my '59 Bassman!

I don't even know you and I love your '59 bassman!
Looking at the profile it's not a '59 Bassman, it's a reissue .
Fender USA Telecaster
Laney VC30-210
Vox Wah
That's it :|
Quote by MrCarrot
Everyone has different situations, but most often they come in here for suggestions because of the vast variety of amps that there are. Sometimes you have to rely on this forum though, because of bad geographical location etc, and I semi-blind bought an amp from UG recommendations (I'd played a sister of it) and never looked back.

+1

come to forums to narrow down your "to-try" list, and also to find out things like reliability, and that you aren't looking at bad choices for your sound and budget. obviously once you get a few recommendations, you go and try them and buy whichever you like best.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I don't mind at all that people ask for advice about which amp they should buy.
It's when they don't elaborate on their budget, musical style, or intended use (gigs, bedroom), that's when I get a bit annoyed.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
yea......i ask tons of questions on here. most of them stupid and with very little of the necessary information. i then take the info given to me, go to my guitar shop, the owner slaps some sense into me, shows me a product that is usually cheaper and better for my needs and then i'm on my way.
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
never trust a horse salesman.
very few "what amp..." threads are even realistic, there might be one here or there but thats all.most of it sounds like the stuff you might hear on a middle school playground.

I don't mind the what amp questions , it's the answers that are so annoying.
it immediately becomes the amp bragging thread, I have this , this one kilz,this pwns that.this is badder ,that one sux. I mean people are reccomending expensive boutque amps that are big $$$ to some beginner guitarist practicing at home.

just try and buy a good amp that gets close enough,, spend the remainder on far more important guitar lessons. than when you get to the level where a more expensive amp is justified you will know exactly what your looking for , and can use it to it's designed purpose and pull sounds out of it with your skilled hands and blistering technique.

ofcourse I think alot of companys would go bankrupt If that actually happened.
Quote by darkarbiter7
I don't mind at all that people ask for advice about which amp they should buy.
It's when they don't elaborate on their budget, musical style, or intended use (gigs, bedroom), that's when I get a bit annoyed.

generally speaking a gigging musician seldom comes on here and asks what amp should I get to sound like such and such band.like I said in my previous thread, that person has figured out thru practice and live work what they >>need<<

so that leaves, beginning guitarist practicing at relativly low volume, with an occasional practice with other local beginning musicians, mabey a small gig.
Quote by stymye
generally speaking a gigging musician seldom comes on here and asks what amp should I get to sound like such and such band.like I said in my previous thread, that person has figured out thru practice and live work what they >>need<<

so that leaves, beginning guitarist practicing at relativly low volume, with an occasional practice with other local beginning musicians, mabey a small gig.

And you've been here how long?
There's plenty of gigging guitarists who ask for amp recommendations here.
Even when they're not necessarily gigging at the moment they ask, they usually say that they plan on gigging in the future.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by strangedogs
never trust a horse salesman.

To sell you a refrigerator?
Quote by darkarbiter7
And you've been here how long?
There's plenty of gigging guitarists who ask for amp recommendations here.
Even when they're not necessarily gigging at the moment they ask, they usually say that they plan on gigging in the future.

I've been on here long enough to read a bunch of them and I didn't say >all< amp threads are like that just 90%.
and don't worry I don't spend much time on here for a reason.

I've played many gigs,recorded tracks in big name studios as a band and as a studio guitarist,and opened local shows for the likes of marylin manson , kings x, to name a few... I've owned and played thru alot of amps and I know my amps too.
so I come on here and see people ask questions about amps, guitars ect .. and I figure ..hey I can possibly offer some good advice,, that is untill I open the thread and read what others have to say and see where it's going. so I don't comment on those threads because I would probably step on alot of toes and egos and no one would care anyway because they don't know anything about me. like I said no worry, I'm just passing thru.
i prefer threads where we can actually help people to threads that tell people that they are doing things wrong. you know, like this one. what amp threads are like half the threads in GG&A for a reason, people have a ton of different situations and a single sticky isnt going to cover it. yes it is obnoxious if people dont do any research first, but i dont like to take things away from everyone just because a few idiots do things badly. personally i like to hear and play a few amps before i ask about what i want/need, but for some people in the middle of nowhere thats not possible.

what im trying to say is, almost all what amp threads have more of a point than this thread. which means....

*closed*