Hey guys, this may have been posted a thousand times but i'm somewhat new to this site so i apologize if this has been a topic before.

What i'm looking to find out is this...How long did you take most of you to get comfortable with your guitar? And by comfortable i mean playing some tunes, improvising your own thing and so on?

My background which lead me to try the guitar: One day i was listening to my favorite artist of all time, Jimi Hendrix. I was a little under the influence one night listening to the purple box set of the Jimi Hendrix Experience and on the Bold As Love track on disc 2. That song became "alive" to me. That's the first time i've heard feelings, emotions, and thoughts through a guitar. That is all i needed to have the drive to try for myself. I wasn't sure if i'd be into it after trying so i picked up the Starcaster pack from my work(Best Buy). I know it's a ****ty guitar and amp but it's a start. I've only had it for a month or 2 playing just about every day. But here's my problem.

When i was 3 i was in a bad accident. I was camping when the camper blew up. I have third degree burns throughout my body including my left arm and hand. I'm right handed so i use my left on the neck. Because of the scars i have a tough time stretching my figers with ease. I can still do it i think it's just going to take a bit longer than the "usual". I've tried with some easy songs and can get some of it down but can't play anything worth listening to. What i'm wondering this is:

1. How long did you take you guys to get comfortable with the guitar.
2. What did you start with ex. Trying to play other songs, doing your own thing or what?
3. Are there any good guitarists that have...."physical road blocks" such as in my case, scars?
4. Knowing what you know about me what advice can you give me to become a better guitarist?
Last edited by jimihendrix820 at Aug 21, 2008,
everyone has their own learning pace, so don't worry. it took me bout maybe a few months. i had an epiphone les paul jr. with strings that i could have downtuned to c cause my brother in law has huge fingers. and tony iommi is a great example, he had part of his fingers chopped off and he went to reinvent and revolutionize the guitar. and listen to blues players and dudes who play with alot of spirit (jimi is a great example) and improvising will come, but dont just run scales all day. and dont only learn other peoples songs, but learn cool ones like voodoo child (thats what im currently trying to do)
its taken me 8months to be bangin out a few tunes but im still learning new chords all the time, like yourself ive had some physical difficulties, arthritis, and a complex bone disease, but you will get there, before i start playing each day i tyr to do some streching exersies, with my fingers< you know the kinda thing hand streight out and open the fingers wide, some times a little push of the fingers apart with the other hand helps > just a little mind or you will not be strumming for a while,you will get there, just keep going, sometimes some of the chords are a pain but just keep goin....guitar has also helped me through very bad depression, its great. keep the faith.......D
we all had the same problem with stretching. maybe throughout time, you can work those scars into stretching a bit.. of find some skin products like moisturizers that make skin softer or stretchier.
Quote by Nakon14

Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Crate GTD65
Vox DA5
I have a 'physical road block' as you so delicately put it. I have a fairly serious deformation to my right (picking) hand. It's very irritating, as i find it difficult to tremolo pick or rest my hand on the bridge. I cant ever play fingerstyle. However, i have ben playing for just over a year, and i'm slowly getting 'used' to playing. It might take you longer to get used to playing guitar, but keep it up and you'll get there.
I'm looking to buy an Epi Valve Standard. If you've got one up for grabs in the Uk, PM me and let me know.
It took me FOREVER. I started guitar when I was 8 or so, and took lessons for 3 years. During this time I never practiced or tried to learn songs, and I was really bad at guitar. I eventually quit.

4 years after I quit, I've started playing and taking lessons again, and now I love it. I'm learning how to improvise, I'm learning songs.

To answer your questions:

1. So it's taken me over 3 years to get comfortable, but if you practice a lot and play what you like, you'll get comfortable faster. I've probably learned more in 6 months than I learned in my first 3 years.

2. I started with a method book, but I hated it. All it had was Old MacDonald and songs like that, and I got really bored with it. Learning songs and learning scales that I can use to improv has really helped me.

3. Django Reinhardt, a gypsy jazz guitarist, had burns over half his body, including his left hand. However, he was able to play with only two fingers. If you haven't heard of him, look him up.

4. Just play and practice things that you like!
Saint Louis Blues
I'm still a beginner myself but i can tell you people who have road blocks which don't stop them doing what they do. How about not having arms for one? On YouTube there is dudes who play guitar with their feet (they play better than i can with arms!) - If they can do it, you can do it - burns or no burns man.

To answer other questions....i'd say it took me a couple of weeks or so to get comfortable with a guitar neck and strumming, etc.

Only advice i can give is practice, practice and practice! Oh and take it slow...you want to nail those techniques and stuff without it being sloppy. No use trying to do things fast if you can't even do it slow. Baby steps, etc :P

Anyway, i hope you're having as much fun with it as i am!
Quote by The Picker
It took me FOREVER. I started guitar when I was 8 or so, and took lessons for 3 years. During this time I never practiced or tried to learn songs, and I was really bad at guitar. I eventually quit.

4 years after I quit, I've started playing and taking lessons again, and now I love it. I'm learning how to improvise, I'm learning songs.

To answer your questions:

1. So it's taken me over 3 years to get comfortable, but if you practice a lot and play what you like, you'll get comfortable faster. I've probably learned more in 6 months than I learned in my first 3 years.

2. I started with a method book, but I hated it. All it had was Old MacDonald and songs like that, and I got really bored with it. Learning songs and learning scales that I can use to improv has really helped me.

3. Django Reinhardt, a gypsy jazz guitarist, had burns over half his body, including his left hand. However, he was able to play with only two fingers. If you haven't heard of him, look him up.

4. Just play and practice things that you like!

I'd never heard of him. I'm going to look into him, thanks alot for all your replays.
im just getting there now after 3 months im starting to play songs and stuff much better than b4. my challenges are really small weak hands and i broke my little finger and ring finger knuckle about a year ago and they never healed great which can make controlling them difficult, sometimes seems like they have a mind of their own lol.
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
tony iommi of black sabbath chopped two of his fretting hand fingers off in a factory accident.
Tony Iommi is certainly an inspiring story of getting over an accident but there are others. The American guitarist Johnny A. apparently had a bad accident so while he was learning he couldn't turn his head to look at the guitar and had to sit bolt upright. The benefit turned out to be that he has good posture now and is extremely comfortable playing the guitar without looking at it.

Other than that, I'd say look at Jeff Healey play. He was completely blind almost from birth and started playing when he was still far to small to hold it so he lay it across his knees and played it with all of his fingers playing on top of the fretboard and did the whole thing by touch alone. I've seen some of the best guitarists in the world but a gig I went to by Jeff Healey remains one of the best I've ever seen. He was an awesome guitarist.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
1.Ive had great comments on my progress but im just getting to improvise my own stuff after 3 months of playing.
2. STRONGLY ADVISE to play the songs first and then learn about the songs then make your own songs(if you want)
3. Dont know of any but it doesnt mean you cant play.
4. Read answer 2
enter sandman is a very easy song,i taught my nephew that song in 3 days.
he had only been playing for maby a week.

it took me probly 8 months to feel like i could call myself a guitar player.but all
the sudden every thing just clicked and i could pick up new stuff easy.
good luck
Quote by jimihendrix820
1. How long did you take you guys to get comfortable with the guitar...
It took me about 2 years before I was confident enough to play in front of people.

Quote by jimihendrix820
2. What did you start with ex. Trying to play other songs, doing your own thing or what?
I was inspired by Metallica at the time and so I tried to figure out Metallica songs. In the process I learned the basics of playing guitar.

Quote by jimihendrix820
3. Are there any good guitarists that have...."physical road blocks" such as in my case, scars?
Don't know about scars, but there are quite a few guitarists who have learned to play guitar "unconventionally". For example, I've seen a few people in my time that play a right-handed guitar, strung right-handed, left-handed. I can't even fathon the difficulty of doing this.

Quote by jimihendrix820
4. Knowing what you know about me what advice can you give me to become a better guitarist?
Just have fun. Playing guitar and making music should be fun, something that relaxes you.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"