I need help with my picking... I've seen a player out there (not naming the band for fear of flaming) who doesn't use his whole arm - he only moves the fingers holding the pick, making it tight and clean, and very fast.

Anyone have any ideas of excerises so I can learn to do this?

Just run up and down scales and stuff, alternat picking and hoohah like that. That would be the best way.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by EJD
I need help with my picking... I've seen a player out there (not naming the band for fear of flaming) who doesn't use his whole arm - he only moves the fingers holding the pick, making it tight and clean, and very fast.

Anyone have any ideas of excerises so I can learn to do this?

Please do tell. I won't flame you I promise.
-----
Currently using:
B.C. Rich NJ Deluxe Jr. V
B.C. Rich Revenge Warlock
Bugera 6262 212 120 Watt amp :

Coming soon:
B.C. Rich Pro X Mockingbird Hardtail
Sum 41.

But, yeah, I do run up and down scales and stuff. But that isn't what I'm talking about - I tried to move the pick with only my thumb and index, like him, but I just find it hard. I wanna pick that way, 'cos it's so much better.
It's not much better if it's not comfortable or not really natural to you, man.

I wouldn't worry about copying this picking style exactly. You should pick the way that enables you to play the best you can. Wow, motivational speaker, much?

Oh yeah... Sum 41 plays fast? :S
Hold the pick with a firm (sensibly) grip between your thumb and index finger perpendicular to the strings, maybe 45 degrees for some more speed, and make a veery small circular motion with your fingers while picking. But this kind is picking has a serious risk of injury so i still recommend wrist picking like every single instructor i came across.
Let's go back to five billion bpm and see how good i am.
Quote by EJD
Sum 41.

But, yeah, I do run up and down scales and stuff. But that isn't what I'm talking about - I tried to move the pick with only my thumb and index, like him, but I just find it hard. I wanna pick that way, 'cos it's so much better.

No shame in that.
-----
Currently using:
B.C. Rich NJ Deluxe Jr. V
B.C. Rich Revenge Warlock
Bugera 6262 212 120 Watt amp :

Coming soon:
B.C. Rich Pro X Mockingbird Hardtail
Right... thanks. Looks like I'll be sticking with what's comfortable, but it's just I don't see how I can get any real speed out of moving my wrist to pick. I've only been playing for about a year and a half so it's probably all down to practice.

And thanks, I thought Sum 41 got pretty flamed around here. But wahey!

lol
Hold the pick between your thumb and index, on the side of your index finger.
Have the edge of the pick near the string you want to pick, on the treble side. This is very important.
Then bend your thumb and move your index along with it. You'll make an upstroke.
Do this in reverse for a downstroke.

Don't bother trying to start on a downstroke.
Quote by EJD
Right... thanks. Looks like I'll be sticking with what's comfortable, but it's just I don't see how I can get any real speed out of moving my wrist to pick. I've only been playing for about a year and a half so it's probably all down to practice.

And thanks, I thought Sum 41 got pretty flamed around here. But wahey!

lol

How can you get speed out of your wrist?

Ever heard of Yngwie Malmsteen? He does. Real good.

Plus it's the more common and has the least injury risk. Nearly all shred players from John Petrucci to Paul Gilbert use it.
Let's go back to five billion bpm and see how good i am.
First off im not tryin to flame your band, but im sure you can find a better inspiration to follow then Sum 41. That aside id advise you stay away from picking like that. Its improper. When i started thats sorta how i picked, when a more experianced player noticed and pointed it out to me i started playing with my wrist. Do this and your playing will sound far more fluid and smooth vs hesitant and sloppy
Sorry for late reply -

It's just that moving my wrist feels so... large, and bulky. I thought moving my fingers only, like Dave (who now has his own band, I found out), would be more precise and easier, and lighter feeling if you know what I mean.

But if you say the wrist is the way to go, are there any particular excerises to really get me up to speed?

And, when you say risk of injury with the thumb-and-index only... what kind of injuries?
If you want to pick fast with out massive arm movement, look at some of paul gilberts old tutorials on youtube, really good for developing speed and good technique
Look up Paul Gilbert picking lessons on youtube, he's got some good picking exersizes that helped me
Okay, I looked one of his lessons up. Since YouTube doesn't work to well on my comp, I'm converting it to WMV as we speak.

Thanks for recommending him, hope he can help.
Quote by EJD
Okay, I looked one of his lessons up. Since YouTube doesn't work to well on my comp, I'm converting it to WMV as we speak.

Thanks for recommending him, hope he can help.

To be perfectly honest, unless picking from your fingers comes absolutely naturally it's probably not worth the ridiculous number of hours into it that you'd need to get it up to scratch. Try picking from the wrist: as long as you start slow, control your movements and increase the tempo slowly you'll find that you have an enormous amount of control over what you're doing.

I would also like to point out to everyone that said Sum 41 aren't fast or whatever that a lot of their later material before Dave left the band was pretty fast and mostly down picked so it's not exactly the easiest stuff in the world to play.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
lol, Paul Gilbert is awesome.

Thank, guys - apparently my problem was I was holding the pick wrong. I had it completely parralell to the strings, however in that vid I downloaded he said you should twist the pick slightly, so the side hits the strings, and it'll glide over easier.

I now do that, and after one day I'm building speed quickly

Awesome and, again, thanks for your help guys